Author Topic: Doomsday 2012?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Doomsday 2012?
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
Has anyone else noticed the surge in earthquakes around the world in the last ten days? Turkey, Fiji, Peru and the Aleutians have all had sizable earthquakes in the last week or so. When you toss in that rare earthquake in Virginia a couple of months ago, it kind of makes you wonder if the Mayans may be on to something.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Doomsday 2012?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:38:55 PM »
Not really an earthquake happen at one place in the world everyday since forever...

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »
it kind of makes you wonder if the Mayans may be on to something.
Yupp,
and obviously IBM was on to something too when they thought that it completely suffices to let their machines create dates until Dec. 31st 1999.

In both cases we probably have the same reason: If you need data for the time after this, calculate it yourself!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:48:08 AM »
The Mayans simply had the foresight to have their calendar last a bit longer whereas w have to buy a new one every year. Their calendar restarst with "1" on 2012-12-22...

However, I believe to have read somewhere that the moon's path is bringing it closer and closer to earth and next year it will be closer than ever before? Unless I dreamed that, it would of course mean that the gravitational force get confused a little bit...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:32:43 AM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:34:55 PM »
While I believe a reasoning similar to the image that Karsten posted, as generations go by we start to forget the intelligence of people in the past lost through time. One of the best examples is the Egyptian Pyramids; while accounts are made of the masses of slaves, scientists are still stumped how they could have worked to create such massive structures -- with particular concerns toward the weight of each block -- in such a short time frame.

Though obviously the Mesoamerican calendar had to stop somewhere, it doesn't mean there wasn't reasoning for stopping where they did, though it doesn't mean the end of the world of course. If I started counting with the intention of reaching a very high number, it's likely I would eventually choose ahead of time where I was going to stop ahead of times rather than stopping in my tracks. I would, for instance, stop at 1,000,000 or 500,000 or 987,654,321 or even 314,159,268 (the first nine digits of pi,) but not some totally off-the-wall number.

With all of that said, there were several groups of people, mainly guided by cult or religious leaders who sealed (and accidentally trapped) themselves in caves or drank poison a few days before January 1, 2000 so that they could avoid the chaos they had expected to come. I'm sure there will be several similar instances next year.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:39:05 PM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.