Author Topic: Marie's Halloween/Horror Marathon  (Read 16815 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Marie's Halloween/Horror Marathon
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »
I remember when you posted about getting that one.  Somehow I forgot or didn't realize it was a Hammer movie.  I added it to my wish list at Amazon..I'll probably try to get it eventually.  So far I've only seen a few of their movies, but I've liked them overall.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 01:50:53 AM »
I remember Horror of Dracula being basically the first horror film I ever saw! Well, partly anyway, as I would usually leave the room for the scenes at night :laugh: Also watched with my neighbor's VCR (an early one, that was something very special at that time) were Prince of Darkness :laugh: (another good Christoper Lee Dracula) and Dracula A. D. 1972 :laugh: (more of a guilty pleasure now, due to nostalgia on my part :shrug:).

I watched a lot of horror from Hammer in my teenage years, as they were shown on TV at the time. I really them at the time, not all of them will hold up now, I suppose.

I quite like the Hammer revival going on right now. Maybe Jimmy can enjoy this a well, despite being new films; thinking of Wake Wood (classic Hammer!) more th Let Me In, of course.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure I saw one of the Hammer Frankenstein movies ...that was like 12 years ago.  I think I saw at least one of their mummy movies too.  I don't remember much of it, but I know it was in color.

I'm thinking I'd like to get more of the Hammer horror movies.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »

The Case of the Whitechapel Vampire
THE CASE OF THE WHITECHAPEL VAMPIRE

The scene of the crime is Whitechapel, the same London district notorious for the recent attacks of Jack the Ripper. Three monks are found dead, the apparent victims of a vampire—now, someone else is out for blood. Or is it something else? As bizarre events unfold, the answer is left to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson to find. Starring Matt Frewer and Kenneth Welsh.

I decided that this one would work since it deals with a potential vampire.  There is more mystery to the movie than horror elements, but it is still entertaining and interesting overall.  I like Sherlock, who is so logical, taking on a case potentially dealing with a supernatural element.  The movie isn't that long since it was originally made for the Hallmark Channel, and that means that the mystery isn't as strong.  That will be disappointing for some people. 

Matt Frewer is ok as Sherlock, but he is my least favorite Sherlock.  This is the second movie I've seen with him as Sherlock.  He isn't as...hmm...arrogant and unlikable this time, but he still has issues.  Kenneth Walsh works much better as Watson.

This one does have some issues, but it is entertaining overall.  Fans of Sherlock Holmes may find something to like about it.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

The Case of the Whitechapel Vampire

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »

Broken Lizard's Club Dread
Break out the (suntan) lotion for the ultimate DVD release—of Broken Lizard's Club Dread, packed with never-before-seen footage and hours of killer special features!

It's a vacation to die for when the crazy comedy team that brought you Super Troopers takes you on a trip so outrageously fun...it's murder. Welcome to Coconut Pete's Pleasure Island, a booze-soaked tourist resort where high-spirited fun soon takes a deadly turn—leaving the island's hilariously inept staff to battle a machete-wielding maniac as they fight to survive another day in paradise!

I decided to watch this one again since it is sort of a slasher type of movie.  It isn't exactly horror, but it has definite horror movie elements with the crazed killer on the island picking off people.  I do think of the movie as a spoof since it is sort of making fun of slasher movies.  Some of what happens is silly, but I think it works for the movie.  I think it is entertaining and I enjoy it.  Some scenes are very violent, and the deaths are a bit different at times.  This one definitely deserves the R rating and it isn't family friendly.  The characters are all kind of..quirky in some way.  That works for the movie.  The cast does well with their parts.

I did post about the movie about Epinions a few years ago if anyone wants to take a look.

Club Dread

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 09:41:24 AM »
 :yucky:

I detest Club Dread. After really enjoying Broken Lizard's other films like Super Troopers and Beerfest, this was just so bad.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »

The Monster Squad
You know who to call when you have ghosts, but who do you call about monsters? Whether it's a bat in your belfry or a mummy in your microwave, THE MONSTER SQUAD ain't afraid of no ghouls!

Count Dracula has until midnight to retrieve an ancient amulet that will give him final control over the delicate balance between good and evil in the world. To help him, the creepy count calls on some old friends: the weird Wolfman, grotesque Gill-Man, mildewed Mummy and freaky Frankenstein. As the ghoulish group gets closer to the amulet, it's up to THE MONSTER SQUAD, headquartered in the local tree house, to pool its questionable resources and stop the monster mayhem!

I decided that I was in the mood for something a little fun.  I first picked this one up after reading a few reviews on it - I think one was from Pete - and I'm really glad I got it.  I honestly don't think I saw the movie when I was younger, but I think it has held up well and is still well worth watching.  It is definitely one that is family friendly, though a few things may scare younger children.

I like the use of the classic monsters and think the story works well.  It ends up being really fun and entertaining.

I did post a review on Epinions a few years ago.

The Monster Squad

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »
:yucky:

I detest Club Dread. After really enjoying Broken Lizard's other films like Super Troopers and Beerfest, this was just so bad.

I know some people don't like it..or their other movies for that matter.  I ended up enjoying it when I saw it.  It does have some issues, but for me, it was entertaining.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »

The Mummy
Boris Karloff's stellar performance as Im-Ho-Tep in the 1932 version of 'The Mummy' is a landmark in screen history. A British archaeology team accidently revives former high priest Im-Ho-Tep, nearly 4,000 years after he was embalmed alive. Finally free, he sets out to find his lost love, a vestal virgin sacrificed in a ritual. Powerful and mesmerizing, Im-Ho-Tep is unstoppable and terrifying in this brooding horror masterpiece. As 'The New York Times' noted, "It begs description... One of the most unusual talkies ever produced."

I've been meaning to watch this one for a while, but somehow I kept waiting.  I first saw the movie about 12 years ago during some kind of monster movie marathon on AMC...before the station had commercials during the movies. ..and before they shortened the marathon in October to like a week and kept playing the same few movies over and over.  Anyway, I enjoyed the movie when I saw it originally and I wanted this DVD set for a while before I finally got it.

The story is straightforward and not that complicated, but it works well.  There are definite similarities to the 1999 version of the movie, but differences as well.
Imhotep works well as a creepy monster type character.  He isn't seen in the bandages much, but I think that works to make the suspense stronger.  These older movies better built up the fear and tension by using restraint in showing the monster.  The movie has a very creepy atmosphere and feel that works really well.  The makeup is very well done considering the movie was made in 1932.  According to the one extra that shares some information about the making of the movie, Karloff was in makeup for 8 hours when it was applied and then it took 2 hours to get it off. 
The characters are fine and interesting, though there could have been a bit more development for a few characters.  The cast is fine and Karloff is wonderful as Imhotep.  He is creepy, a bit scary, and definitely intimidating.  His eyes get this weird glow in a few scenes that is really creepy.

I'm really glad that I have this movie - and that I found it...It wasn't where I thought I put it.  I was starting to worry that it had fallen into a trashcan.  When I found it a few days ago, it was practically right in front of me.   :laugh:

I did post a review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Mummy (1932)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »

This one the movie sent me that is near my TV to watch this month. Not that I expect a lot this as horror comedy usually don't work with me, but it could be that awfull if Bill Paxton is in it...

... for me, it was entertaining.
Wich is the most important. There are a lot of movie highly praise everywhere that bored me to death...

BTW Marie when will you watch Vampire Suck? I was serious in my review when I wrote it was "Better than what I was expecting [...] Not great, not strongly recommanded. But if you got a chance to watch it on TV take it as it will cost nothing to try."  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:51:38 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
my main problem with it is that the actors all play stereotypes of various nationalities and rely on cheap jokes based around that conceit, which is pathetic. For instance, the lead black guy plays a British tennis player who says "wanker" a lot.  :shrug:

you have to consider how genuinely funny Super Troopers is to realise just how weak this pile of crap is.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
True...Super Troopers is better. 

Jimmy, I haven't seen it on any of the channels I get yet.  I think the Redbox thing has it...I could rent it for $1 that way...so maybe I'll try that soon.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 11:25:27 PM »

BTW Marie when will you watch Vampire Suck? I was serious in my review when I wrote it was "Better than what I was expecting [...] Not great, not strongly recommanded. But if you got a chance to watch it on TV take it as it will cost nothing to try."  

Jimmy, Vampires Suck is now on my DVR.  It was on one of the HBO channels I get this morning.  I was looking at the listings and saw it, so I set the DVR.  So I'll watch it. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »

The Mummy's Hand
THE MUMMY'S HAND

In this chilling follow-up to the original classic, a magician (Cecil Kellaway) and his beautiful daughter (Peggy Moran) finance an expedition of American Archaeologists, led by Steve Banning (Dick Foran) and Babe Jenson (Wallace Ford). The team travels to Egypt in search of an undiscovered tomb. At first, they are thrilled to find a 3,000-year-old mummy. But soon they learn that when the moon is full the mummy goes on murderous rampages - unless they can find a way to destroy their greatest find.

I don't think I had seen this movie before.  I thought I had seen it before for some reason, but I didn't remember any of it, so now I'm thinking this was the first time I saw it.

This movie has a different Mummy and a different story.  Kharis was cursed when he died, and now high priests of Karnak look after him and use a special drink to keep him alive.  Tombs are disturbed and the Mummy goes after a pretty young woman.  There is some suspense to what is going on, though not a lot.  The movie isn't that long, and scenes from The Mummy are reused when the history of Kharis is shared.  The plot is fairly simple, but it is still entertaining and enjoyable.  The drink, that is made from special leaves, being needed to keep Kharis alive is something different.  There were bits of things that I saw in this that I think influenced The Mummy (1999).

The characters are ok, though they are rather flat.  The acting is fine, though nothing special.  In this one, Kharis does shuffle around, covered in the bandages.  It is mostly a creepy look.

Overall I enjoyed this movie and am glad I finally watched it.

I did post a review at Epinions.

The Mummy's Hand

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 10:11:30 AM »

The Mummy's Tomb
THE MUMMY'S TOMB

Screen legend Lon Chaney Jr. stars in a compassianate portrayal of the ancient Egyptian mummy Kharis in this timeless tale of lost love. The high priest Mehemet (Turhan Bey) transports Kharis from Egypt to the United States to wreak vengeance on the family who defiled the sacred tomb of his beloved princess. One by one, members of the expedition die. But Mehemet has fallen in love with the beautiful fiancee (Elyse Knox) of the group's leader (Dick Foran). Now he must convince Kharis to help him acheive his ultimate goal -  before a furious mob destroys them both.

This one is a direct sequel to The Mummy's Hand, though it is supposed to be set about thirty years later.  Somehow, Kharis survives being burned and the high priest survived being shot.  It still looks like it is taking place in the 1940s though.  Anyway, with this one, a new high priest turns up and goes on a mission to use Kharis to get revenge for the Princess's tomb being disturbed.  The people who found the tomb in the last movie are the ones who are targeted.  The plot summary is a little wrong...the woman isn't engaged to the character played by Dick Foran.  She's been dating his character's son.  Mehemet does decide he wants her to be his wife though, so that part is right. 

The revenge angle is a little new in this movie, and there is a new setting, but otherwise, it isn't that different from the last movie.  About 10 minutes of the movie - and it is only an hour long to begin with - just show clips from the last movie as a recap.  Kharis still has to have the drink made from the special leaves and he slowly shuffles through town, killing people.  With how slow he moves, his victims should have been able to get away from him.  Someone just walking at a normal pace could move faster than him.  A few of the victims just cower and back up in corners or against walls and basically wait to be killed.  There really isn't that much suspense to what is going on.  Some of what happens is very similar to what happened in The Mummy's Hand, and some of the same lines are even used.  Despite all that, I still enjoyed the movie overall and think it is worth watching.  It really isn't scary, but it is entertaining overall.

I did get a review posted at Epinions.

The Mummy's Tomb