Author Topic: About the site  (Read 6477 times)

Touti

About the site
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:32:35 PM »
How about a little revamp of the site, maybe some new skin, changes in the feeds on the main page.  Maybe get rid of (some of) the articles since none of us is writing anymore.

What do  you think ?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: About the site
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
As you may know we germans are fairly straightforward:

- don't need a new skin, I like the "Forum or Board Default"
- I enter this site via the bookmark "Show unread posts since last visit.", not via the portal site.
- I do visit the portal site once I a while and I've read the articles but I am more of a posting writer, it's easier to get into a discussion with this
- There are feeds on the portal site?

I like this site pretty much as it is, I get more response to my marathons here than I get in my own forum when I'm writing in my mother tongue.

This website is defined by our small but excellent group of forum posters who bring a great variety of movie tastes to it and I love to read the postings about movies I've never even heard of.

I'd love to chat a bit more but that's a bit problematic due to our timezones (+7 hours for our guy from Taiwan, -9 hours for the guys from the american west coast).

One improvement would be if we could sligthly minimize the numbers of smileys when I write a posting. I don't mean to remove them just to move them into the "more" link. It takes a bit of time until all the images are loaded and the textbox appears. As far as I can see it there are smileys that are used way more often than others, e.g. I've never seen the "TV guy" or the "Thread Closed" in use.

Another plus for me would be if it could be default to return to thread after replying/creating a new one instead of being in the thread list.

If I have another idea, I am not to shy to let you know. ;)

Best regards,
   Karsten
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:03:57 PM »
One improvement would be if we could sligthly minimize the numbers of smileys when I write a posting. I don't mean to remove them just to move them into the "more" link. It takes a bit of time until all the images are loaded and the textbox appears. As far as I can see it there are smileys that are used way more often than others, e.g. I've never seen the "TV guy" or the "Thread Closed" in use.

That's not a problem.  I find it slow myself.  I'll run a few sql commands to see which are most used and I'll move the other ones to the extra smileys page.  Since Najemikon is still an active member I know the voodoo smiley won't go away  :hysterical:

Another plus for me would be if it could be default to return to thread after replying/creating a new one instead of being in the thread list.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but in your profile under "Look and Layout Preferences" there's an option called "Return to topics after posting by default".  Wouldn't that do what you want ?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean but in your profile under "Look and Layout Preferences" there's an option called "Return to topics after posting by default".  Wouldn't that do what you want ?
Cool, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:07:25 PM »
 :hysterical:

Shame Sailor never came back. I think his last logged on date is quite recent, so maybe he's lurking.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:11:09 PM »
Shame Sailor never came back. I think his last logged on date is quite recent, so maybe he's lurking.
Last Active:     12.02.2008, 03:16:15
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:13:26 PM »
Heck, that's even later than I thought!

Come out and face us like a man! :training:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »

I always thought he was a voyeur! :devil:

But seriously, I miss his thoughts very much.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 01:41:15 AM »
The forum is corect as it is. The only thing that you have maybe forgot Touti is about the notification when a post is edit in a topic (not just the last one). Just yesterday I've remember about the Oscar marathon, since I don't participate and it is way down in the marathon forum it's not necessary evident to remember to look.

By the way I love the place, there no another forum where I participate really and that's because I always feel that my comment are welcome here.  ;D

Touti

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:15:08 AM »
I checked for that Jimmy but I couldn't find anything.  I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about notifications on posts being edited until the developers decide to do something.

lyonsden5

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:19:56 AM »
I like the site as is but I'm always up for a change of scenery.  :thumbup:

I enter the site from a bookmark of "unread last posts"  :TheJuryIsCurrentlyDeliberatin like Karsten does  :thumbup: but I do check the home page when I have time to kill.  :beer: I like the feeds you have there. :whistle: Not sure what other ones would be good to add.  :headscratch: but I'll give it some thought tomorrow. Kinda late now.  :yawn:

@ Jimmy, your reviews are great!  :clapcheer: I'm glad you're here and posting.  :yep: In fact I enjoy all of the movie reviews.  :celebrate: I would like to get back to all of us (or some of us) watching a movie and discussing it, like a book club.  :book: We did it a few times, worked out pretty good. I guess the biggest issue we had was finding the right movie for everyone to watch  :tv:.  The marathons are good but I get  :wacko: trying to keep up with some of them.

I'll think about it some more and try to add something tomorrow.  :2cents: If you don't like any suggestions I may come up with that's OK.  :whateva: Still friends.   :drunk:

One more thing... somebody said something about smileys  :-\  I guess you could move them  :(  Just not too far away.   :weep:

Ok That's enough.  :hysterical:

:devil:

:thanks:

:tomato:

no... really  8) There's nothing more to see here...

or read...  :rules:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »
Rick you really make me laugh with this one

+1  :hysterical: point

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 01:32:34 AM »
I wouldn't mind if the articles on the front page (that's where I actually enter the site) are moved, they are indeed getting old... I occasionally look at the feeds and think they make a good "opening statement".

Other than that I have no suggestions/requests; I like the site as it is.

Touti

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:37:49 AM »
There seems to be some problem with feeds, some of them aren't displayed anymore but I can't figure out why.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that google bought feedburner.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 02:27:46 AM »
Well, I can still see all three of them right now: DVD Talk and Movies.com latest news, DVD Active/TV Shows On DVD and High-Def Digest...