Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011  (Read 32862 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »
Decided to concentrate on TV Show eps. today... so...
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
     The Brady Bunch: The Fourth Season: Fright Night (1972/United States)

Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Jerry London
Writing:Sherwood Schwartz (Original Characters By), Brad Radnitz (Writer)
Length:26 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Robert Reed as Mike Brady
Florence Henderson as Carol Brady
Ann B. Davis as Alice
Maureen McCormick as Marcia
Eve Plumb as Jan

Plot:
Jan (Eve Plumb) and Cindy (Susan Olsen) are jittery after spotting a "ghost" outside their window, but Marcia discovers that it's just a prank being played by the boys. So the girls retaliate by frightening the boys with some hauntings of their own in the attic. But the spooky shenanigans get out of hand when they all team up to try to scare the daylights out of Alice!

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I was searching the net for best Halloween TV Episodes... and this episode came up on several lists.... even though Halloween isn't mentioned at all in the episode. But it did originally air Oct. 27th of '72... and the subject matter fits. So I decided to go ahead and watch it. It is a fun episode. I enjoyed watching they play all the jokes trying to scare each other. Even though this was never a favorite show of mine growing up... this was always one of my favorite episodes.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 16
TV Ep. Count: 23
Other Count: 1
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
     Superboy: Season Two: Young Dracula (1989/United States)

Director:    David Nutter
Writing:    Cary Bates (Writer), Ilya Salkind (Writer)
Length:22 min.

Stars:
    Stacy Haiduk as Lana Lang
    Ilan Mitchell-Smith as Andy McAllister
    Gerard Christopher as Clark Kent/Superboy

Plot:
A young vampire, on the run from his father, becomes a doctor in the Crescent County Hospital. His father sends an older, more powerful vampire to bring him back, and Superboy and Lana are trapped in the middle of the battle.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I have all the episodes of this syndicated Superboy series on old recordings... which I am now in the process of converting to DVD. Unfortunately that means bad quality... but at least I can watch them again until such time they decide to release the rest of the series. This second season episode...while not mentioning Halloween... originally aired October 28th of '89... and the subject matter certainly fits. I enjoyed watching this episode again after so many years. It mixes two of my favorite genres as it has both superhero and vampires. There is also a few more episodes from this series that will fit in this marathon. I just haven't gotten them converted to DVD yet so I can watch them again.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 24
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 05:39:53 PM »
     Ghost Whisperer: The Final Season: Head Over Hills (2009/)

Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Steve Robman
Writing:Laurie McCarthy, Stephanie Sengupta
Length:44 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Jennifer Love Hewitt as Melinda Gordon
David Conrad as Jim Clancy
Christoph Sanders as Ned Banks
Jamie Kennedy as Eli James
Camryn Manheim as Delia Banks

Plot:
When Halloween hits Grandview, a headless horseman stalks the night and Melinda wants to know why.

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite episodes of the series. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow was always a favorite story of mine... so enjoyed seeing it tied to an episode.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 25
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:06 PM »
There is a scene with the horse later on in the movie which I quite liked as well. A bad Romero zombie can still be better than a lot of other drivel out there... :laugh:

you know what I like about Romero? He's still trying and he's still thinking. The genre has been lost to albeit brilliant parodies, but he's still pushing ideas to advance his theories. I do think he's lost his touch for pure brutality, but I'll always have time for his films.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete First Season: Disc One (1997/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:1. Welcome to the Hellmouth: Charles Martin Smith 2. The Harvest: John T. Kretchmer 3. Witch: Stephen Cragg 4. Teacher's Pet: Bruce Seth Green
Writing:1. Welcome to the Hellmouth: Joss Whedon (Writer) 2. The Harvest: Joss Whedon (Writer) 3. Witch: Dana Reston (Writer) 4. Teacher's Pet: David Greenwalt (Writer)
Length:178 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers
Nicholas Brendon as Xander Harris
Alyson Hannigan as Willow Rosenberg
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
Anthony Stewart Head as Giles

Plot:
EPISODE 1: WELCOME TO THE HELLMOUTH
Buffy Summers, a high school sophomore, transfers to Sunnydale High. There she meets her new "Watcher" and learns she cannot escape her true destiny.

EPISODE 2: THE HARVEST
A stranger named Angel tells Buffy that if she does not stop The Harvest, the Hellmouth will open and The Master will roam free.

EPISODE 3: WITCH
In an effort to inject some normalcy into her life Buffy tries out for the cheerleading squad – only to discover the competition wants her dead.

EPISODE 4: TEACHER'S PET
Xander falls for a beautiful substitute teacher who is actually a She-Mantis intent on mating with, then decapitating, virginal boys.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned
  • Photo gallery, pilot script

My Thoughts:
Felt like watching some early episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer next. I haven't watched any episodes in quite a while. So was good to watch some today. Seemed a little weird as the cast looked so young. My favorite episodes on this disc has to be the 2-part pilot. Least favorite being Teacher's Pet. But all was good. I probably won't continue and watch all the episodes... but I am sure I will at least watch the Halloween episodes before the month is over.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 29
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »
     Piranha: Special Edition (1978/United States)

Shout! Factory
Director:Joe Dante
Writing:John Sayles (Screenwriter), John Sayles (Story By), Richard Robinson (Story By)
Length:92 min.
Rating:R
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital:

Stars:
Bradford Dillman as Paul Grogan
Heather Menzies as Maggie McKeown
Kevin McCarthy as Dr. Robert Hoak
Keenan Wynn as Jack
Dick Miller as Buck Gardner
Barbara Steele as Dr. Mengers

Plot:
From the man who introduced us to Jack Nicholson, Francis Ford Coppola, Jonathan Demme and Martin Scorsese...
Shout! Factory is proud to present new collector's editions of Roger Corman's most loved productions.

Joe Dante's cult classic PIRANHA is back in a new collector's edition with new special features!

While Searching for missing teenagers, novice skip tracer Maggie McKeown (Heather Menzies) and local town boozer Paul Grogan (Bradford Dillman) stumble upon a top-secret Army laboratory conducting genetic research on piranha fish for the purpose of developing biological warfare. When the deadly eating machines are accidently released from the compound, they're soon headed downstream and consuming everything and anything in their path.

Just when you thought it was safe to go in the river...

Piranha features a stellar group of talent in front of as well as behind the camera. The top-notch cast of cult stars includes Kevin McCarthy (Invasion Of The Body Snatchers), Barbara Steele (Black Sunday), Belinda Bataski (The Howling), Dick Miller (A Bucket Of Blood) and Paul Bartel (Death Race 2000). Piranha is director Joe Dante's second film. He would go on to direct Gremlins and Small Soldiers. PProducer Jon Davison went on to produce the blockbusters Robocop and Starship Troopers. The film also features a thrilling soundtrack by Pino Donaggio (Dressed To Kill, Carrie and Dante's The Howling).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
I have watched a lot of horrors from the late '70s and the '80s.... but somehow I have never seen this one until today. Which is a surprise to me... but at least I got to enjoy it today. And I really did enjoy this one. Probably one of the best ones I watched so far during this marathon. The movie has plenty of blood... as well as plenty shots of people trying to escape... showing lots of shots of eaten away flesh on their bodies. Watching this movie you can't help but to think of the movie Jaws which was released 3 years earlier. So I thought it was cool that the very first time we see Heather Menzies' character she is playing an old Jaws video game. Barbara Steele's role in the movie was rather short. So that seemed to be a bit of a waste. But other then that... I loved every minute of this one! After watching this one... I feel like I could start it right back up and watch it again... that says a lot to me. So I think I can Highly Recommend this one!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 17
TV Ep. Count: 29
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 11:17:22 PM »
     Roseanne: Halloween Edition (1989/United States)

Anchor Bay Home Entertainment
Director:1. Boo!: John Pasquin 2. Trick or Treat: John Whitesell 3. Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down: Andrew D. Weyman 4. Halloween IV: Andrew D. Weyman 5. Halloween V: Gail Mancuso 6. Skeleton in the Closet: Gail Mancuso 7. Halloween: The Final Chapter: Roseanne
Writing:1. Boo!: Matt Williams (Created By), Norma Safford Vela (Writer), Roseanne Barr (Original Characters By) 2. Trick or Treat: Matt Williams (Created By), Chuck Lorre (Screenwriter), Jeff Abugov (Screenwriter), Chuck Lorre (Story By), Roseanne [Roseanne Barr] (Original Characters By) 3. Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down: Matt Williams (Created By), Amy Sherman (Writer), Roseanne [Roseanne Arnold] (Original Characters By) 4. Halloween IV: Matt Williams (Created By), Rob Ulin (Writer), Roseanne (Original Characters By) 5. Halloween V: Matt Williams (Created By), Betsy Borns (Writer), Miriam Trogdon (Writer), Roseanne (Original Characters By) 6. Skeleton in the Closet: Matt Williams (Created By), William Lucas Walker (Screenwriter), Lawrence Broch (Screenwriter), Lois Bromfield (Story By), Roseanne (Original Characters By) 7. Halloween: The Final Chapter: Matt Williams (Created By), Roseanne (Writer), Lois Bromfield (Writer), Roseanne (Original Characters By)
Length:186 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Roseanne Barr as Roseanne Conner
John Goodman as Dan Conner
Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris
Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner
Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner

Plot:
Most TV shows celebrate the holiday season with warm & fuzzy Christmas specials. But for the cast, crew and creators of ROSEANNE, the year's best celebrations always belonged to Halloween. In these seven classic episodes, the Conners unleash tricks and treats on one of the greatest sitcoms In television history:

BOO! - In this Emmy®-nominated fan favorite, the Conners kick off a family tradition with a night of increasingly outrageous pranks.

TRICK OR TREAT - When Roseanne wears a lumberjack costume, she learns a few hilarious lessons about 'real' men.

TRICK ME UP, TRICK ME DOWN - Jackie flirts with a moose, Roseanne pranks the new neighbors and George Clooney guest stars.

HALLOWEEN IV - Having lost her holiday spirit, Roseanne is visited by the ghosts of Halloween past, present and future.

HALLOWEEN V - It’s Halloween night at the diner, but the real shocks are about to come from some very unexpected places.

SKELETON IN THE CLOSET - A Halloween party at The Lunch Box brings out Leon’s gay friends as well as Bev’s hair-raising secret.

HALLOWEEN: THE FINAL CHAPTER - Ed McMahon and Sarah Chalke guest star when Roseanne’s ouija board delivers the most unexpected news of all.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This DVD has a collection of 7 Halloween episodes of Roseanne. The Halloween episodes has always been my favorite episodes of this series. So much so that I wouldn't even beginning to know how to pick a favorite episode on this disc. I can however say that the final episode on this disc is my least favorite. I personally think they really dropped the ball on that episode. Despite that last episode I really enjoyed re-watching this disc.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 36
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 07:11:24 PM »
     The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season (2010/United States)

Anchor Bay Entertainment
Length:292 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes
Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh
Sarah Wayne Callies as Lori Grimes
Laurie Holden as Andrea
Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale

Plot:
After waking from a coma in an abandoned hospital, police officer Rich Grimes finds the world he knew gone – ravaged by a zombie epidemic of apocalyptic proportions. Nearby, on the outskirts of Atlanda, a small encampment struggles to survive as "the dead" stalk them at every turn. Can Rick and the others hold onto their humanity as they fight to live in this terrifying new world? And, admidst dire conditions and personal rivalries, will they ultimately survive one another?

AMC's "The Walking Dead" is an epic survival adventure series from Frank Darabont, director of The Shawshank Redemption, and Gale Anne Hurd, producer of Ther Terminator and Aliens, based on the graphic novel series by Robert Kirkman.

Episodes:
1. Days Gone Bye
2. Guts
3. Tell It to the Frogs
4. Vatos
5. Wildfire
6. TS-19

Extras:
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
What with season 2 starting this Sunday night I decided to watch all the episodes of Season 1 today. This is a very good zombie series. It holds up well for multiple viewings. Sure there is some episodes better then others... but I really enjoyed re-watching this entire series. Watching this set today made it so I can't wait for the season 2 premier. For a show that airs on basic cable... this series does not shy away from the blood, guts & violence... to the point of surprising me a bit on how far they went. Not a complaint mind you... but a pleasant surprise. If you haven't had the opportunity to see this Zombie Series... it is one that I highly recommend!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 42
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
Pete you sure watch more TV this year... You don't help me to place more stuff in my wishlist :(

But I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing :hmmmm:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
 :laugh: Sorry Jimmy!  :tease:

Yeah... I have been concentrating more on TV this year. Some reason I been having a lot of fun with the horror and Halloween TV episodes this year. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 02:16:53 PM »
     The Haunting of Sorority Row (2007/Canada)

New Video
Director:Bert Kish
Writing:Jed Seidel (Story By), Jed Seidel (Screenwriter), Michael Vickerman (Screenwriter)
Length:89 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Leighton Meester as Samantha Willows
Kailin See as Jane
Lisa Marie Caruk as Leslie
Agam Darshi as Rachel
Meghan Ory as Amanda
Adrian Roman Petriw as Oliver

Plot:
Samantha Willows (Leighton Meester) is a bright-eyed college freshman ready to endure the often humiliating traditions of pledge week if it means being accepted into Delta Phi Theta, one of the most prestigious sororities in the country. But her enthusiasm turns to dread when she begins to sense something sinister about the sorority house and some of its sisters, who appear to be sharing a closely guarded secret. After the death of a Delta Phi Theta member, Samantha considers the unimaginable– could an evil, murderous force reside within the walls of the sorority house?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie my brother rented from Netflix... and sounded like something I would enjoy so decided to check out. It seems this one is a TV Movie that originally aired on Lifetime. But going into this one that didn't worry me one bit since one of my favorite TV Movies originally aired on Lifetime as well (Still Small Voices).

I enjoyed this one. Even if it was pretty predictable. I had the whole who the ghost was figured out early in the movie. The storyline itself is entertaining... and there is some decent effects in it, especially considering that this is a TV movie. Thought the DVD itself leaves quite a bit to be desired. No extras what so ever on this one. Only options the main menu has here is Play Movie or Scene Selection.  But over all... I liked it. I can see myself picking up a copy if I could get it cheap. I think it would be a good addition to my TV Movie collection.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 18
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »

The Rage (2007/United States)

Screen Media Films
Director:Robert Kurtzman
Writing:John Bisson (Screenwriter), John Bisson (Original Material By), Robert Kurtzman (Original Material By)
Length:86 min.
Rating:R
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Andrew Divoff as Dr. Viktor Vasilienko
Erin Brown as Kat
Ryan Hooks as Josh
Sean Serino as Pris
Rachel Scheer as Olivia
Anthony Clark as Jay

Plot:
From Director Robert Kurtzman (Wishmaster, Buried Alive), comes the highly anticipated new splatter classic. When victims injected with the rage virus escape the experimentation of a mad scientist—his secrets are uncovered and all hell breaks loose. The Rage is guaranteed to be an out-RAGE-ously gory good time!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
After talking about Erin Brown (Misty Mundae) earlier today I thought I would go ahead and watch this movie I have with her in it. It is one I never seen before. It is one I have mixed feelings about. There is some stuff here I liked as well as some stuff I didn't. There is lots of blood and gore in this one. And the movie keeps a rather fast pace. The acting could use some work. I personally thought the infected vultures was a bit much... and would have liked to seen the way it spread in that portion of the movie done differently. But over-all it is a fairly entertaining film. The movie is in a triple feature set (2 discs). Considering I paid $3 and change for the entire set I feel I got my money worth... though I hope the other two movies in the set are a bit better then this one.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 19
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 10:43:52 PM »
    Masters of Horror: Sick Girl (2006/United States)

Director:Lucky McKee
Writing:Sean Hood (Screenwriter), Lucky McKee (Screenwriter), Sean Hood (Original Material By)
Length:60 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.77:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Mike McKee as Professor Malcolm Wolf
Misty Mundae [Erin Brown] as Misty Falls
Angela Bettis as Ida Teeter
Jesse Hlubik as Max Grubb
Marcia Bennett as Lana Beasley
Chandra Berg as The Ladybug

Plot:
Angela Bettis (MAY, TOOLBOX MURDERS) stars as a shy entomologist whose drab life is changed by the simultaneous arrival of a large, mysterious bug and a torrid affair with a sexy young woman (Erin Brown aka erotic scream queen Misty Mundae). But when the bizarre insect chooses a shocking place to secretly feed, Sapphic ecstasy turns to infection, mutation and murder. Will these lesbian lovers let a venomous threesome tear them apart, or is the most horrific metamorphosis of all yet to come?

Co-written and directed by Lucky McKee, this babes 'n' bugs shocker features extreme monster mayhem by KNB EFX (LAND OF THE DEAD, HOSTEL) in one of the most unique films of the series Fangoria calls "A smashing success...one of the best anthology fright shows ever!"

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned
  • Lucky McKee Trading Card

My Thoughts:
After watching The Rage I decided to watch the only other title I have at the moment with Erin Brown/Misty Mundae. This one I have seen before. I basically have mixed feelings about. Parts of it I enjoyed.... other parts not so much. I think one thing I didn't like was the design of the bug. Though I do understand it must be difficult to design a bug that looks like nothing you ever seen before... and it being the size they needed it to be. There is some things that they play for comedic value... others for shock value. Of all I enjoyed it... though I wouldn't say it is my favorite episode of Masters of Horror.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 43
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »
    Bewitched: The Complete First Season: The Witches are Out (1964/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:William Asher
Writing:Bernard Slade (Writer), Sol Saks (Original Characters By)
Length:26 min.

Stars:
Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha
Dick York as Darrin Stephens
Agnes Moorehead as Endora

Plot:
When Darrin's fired for refusing to use an ugly witch in a Halloween candy campaign, Samantha and Aunt Clara get even by turning his client into an old crone. Shelly Berman guest stars.

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
A fun classic Halloween episode here. And I think it is the perfect storyline for the first season of this series. Trying to show that witches don't necessarily mean ugly. I must admit... Elizabeth Montgomery played the prettiest witch I ever seen!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 44
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:56:09 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete