Author Topic: Well I gave in to temptation..  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Well I gave in to temptation..
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 06:31:39 AM »
I could imagine though, that marie heard the term Virtual Machine in a different context though...there is a second use of the word(s):

I have an Apple Mac at home, but for DVD Profiler I need Windows, of course. So, I installed a program that will create "virtual machines" for me on my computer, in which I can install a different operating system, like Windows or Linux. So now I am running Windows 7 within my OS X... The program I use is called VMWare Fusion. At the Invelos forums the program Parallels is also mentioned occasionally.

Not sure this would be usayble for you, but there is programs on the iPad that can remotely connect and control Windows machines. I use one at home (connecting to OS X though) whcih is free, but it has limitations. There are others that can truly remotely connect with secure connections even. Maybe something to look into?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:41 AM »
From what I read about what the plan the company has is to use the virtual machines instead of computers because it will be cheaper..computers get outdated so fast.

While that might work for some things, we do need to be able to access the internet for some things..sometimes to look things up for clients.  It would be a huge step backward if we couldn't do that anymore.

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »
From what I read about what the plan the company has is to use the virtual machines instead of computers because it will be cheaper..computers get outdated so fast.

While that might work for some things, we do need to be able to access the internet for some things..sometimes to look things up for clients.  It would be a huge step backward if we couldn't do that anymore.

There should be absolutely no restriction whatsoever from using the Internet, unless they restrict it on purpose. When you're using a VM it acts exactly the same as a PC/server/whatever. In fact if you query a VM to find out what memory, CPU, and disk space it has, it will report just the same way. The PC doesn't "think" it's virtual!

MEJHarrison

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »
I could imagine though, that marie heard the term Virtual Machine in a different context though...there is a second use of the word(s):

I have an Apple Mac at home, but for DVD Profiler I need Windows, of course. So, I installed a program that will create "virtual machines" for me on my computer, in which I can install a different operating system, like Windows or Linux. So now I am running Windows 7 within my OS X... The program I use is called VMWare Fusion. At the Invelos forums the program Parallels is also mentioned occasionally.

Very true! Of course she also mentioned they were considering it at work...  ;)

Not sure this would be usayble for you, but there is programs on the iPad that can remotely connect and control Windows machines. I use one at home (connecting to OS X though) whcih is free, but it has limitations. There are others that can truly remotely connect with secure connections even. Maybe something to look into?

My friend over in Germany found the same thing.  But they've not yet opened our network enough for that to work.  But the head guy on this project also has an iPad, so hopefully he'll like what he finds in testing and open it up. :)

MEJHarrison

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »

There should be absolutely no restriction whatsoever from using the Internet, unless they restrict it on purpose. When you're using a VM it acts exactly the same as a PC/server/whatever. In fact if you query a VM to find out what memory, CPU, and disk space it has, it will report just the same way. The PC doesn't "think" it's virtual!

Jon beat me to it.  But he's right.  As long as everything is going smoothly, you should pretty much forget that you don't have a computer on your desk.  Everything looks and behaves pretty much the same.  We were even told our internet speeds would increase since the actual computers are hooked straight into the main trunk line here in the building.  So internet speeds aren't restricted by our internal network.  Of course we're still connecting over our internal network... But we never made it far enough in our testing to worry about such things. :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »

Ahhh...ok.  That makes more sense. 
It is still a few years off if it happens I think...least in this area.  That stuff is probably getting tested somewhere already.