Author Topic: Well I gave in to temptation..  (Read 4367 times)

RossRoy

Well I gave in to temptation..
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:03:16 AM »
Yes, yes I did!

What temptation you ask? Well, I've gotten myself an android tablet! The Acer Iconia to be precise.

Love it so far! Especially with the swype keyboard. Its fantastic really! Just swype your finger around the letters of the word, and tadah!

I still have to get used to the touch interface though. Some things are not as intuitive as I thought they would be! Is also a lot more sensitive than I expected!

Anyway I'll get used to it!

Oh, you provably already guessed it, but this was posted from the android!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:38:47 PM by RossRoy »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Well I gave in to my temptation..
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
Oh, you provably already guessed it, but this was posted from the android!  ;)

Really?

;)

Grats on your new toy. :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:26:31 AM »
Some things are not as intuitive as I thought they would be!
You shouldn't have thought about it!
If you're thinking about it, it's by definition not intuitive anymore.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
Congrats! :)

I never seen one of these to know anything about them. But hope you continue to enjoy it. :)
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »
 :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
Grest, congraulations! Those little tablet things are awesome. Love my iPad. I can read the forum from anywhere and especially love doing it in my bed before sleeping. Heck, traveling to Gemany I don't even take a notebook anymore...

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »
Do you have to pay a monthly fee to use this?

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »
Do you have to pay a monthly fee to use this?

Nope. It's purely Wi-Fi, no cellular network access at all.

And that's actually why I got it. I've been wanting an Android-based device for a while now, but the damn cellular charges are completely outrageous, so I refrained.

With this being Wi-fi only, problem solved!

MEJHarrison

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »
Heck, traveling to Gemany I don't even take a notebook anymore...

That's funny.  One of my teammates here at work is currently on a 4 week vacation to Germany (his son is playing German pro football; American football) and he's a total workaholic.  Always takes his laptop wherever he goes, puts in 50-60 hour work weeks just because, etc.  Anyway, he's gone for a month and only took his iPad with him. ;D

I'm still holding out, but plan to pick up an iPad myself at some point.  I wouldn't really care about who makes it except for the fact that most of my iPhone apps can be loaded and used for free!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »
I don't know much about these tablet things either..though they seem nice.

Do you have to charge it up?  Does it use a power cord? 
Can you access all websites with it?

See how much I don't know?  :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 02:57:53 AM »
Do you have to charge it up?  Does it use a power cord? 

Yep. It's like a laptop, actually it's closer to a cell phone. You plug it in to charge, and then it's good for few hours. You can also use it with the power cord, but the cord that comes with it is so short, that you may not want to ;)

Can you access all websites with it?

Yep. Unfortunately though, being based on Android - which is a phone OS - makes it so that some website will show a specialized "mobile" version optimized for tiny screens .. but on that tablet, the screen is big enough for standard browsing! Most have a link to go to the main site instead of the special mobile one, but I've been to a few that locked me to the mobile version.

--

Actually, the analogy to a cell phone is actually it. It's basically a glorified smartphone with a bigger screen - it just lacks the "phone" elements.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 03:06:59 AM »
Ok.  Just wondered some about those things.  I still don't have a smartphone....not sure how much I would like the touch screen. 
If I eventually get one of these things..or a laptop - still don't have one of those - I'd have to get wireless working here...don't have that now.

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 04:47:37 AM »
One thing is for sure, do not get a tablet if you are planning to do a lot of typing! While swype is fun its very inconvenient for large amount of text...

But then, I'm saying that while typing it on swype and id say its not so bad actually... still I prefer a standard keyboard ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 06:51:49 AM »
That's funny.  One of my teammates here at work is currently on a 4 week vacation to Germany (his son is playing German pro football; American football) and he's a total workaholic.  Always takes his laptop wherever he goes, puts in 50-60 hour work weeks just because, etc.  Anyway, he's gone for a month and only took his iPad with him. ;D
While I won't need to use it for work, I totally can see that. E-mail is obvious, then there is programs for spreadsheets or text documents, presentations... Just like Sebstien pointed out, longer typing session directly with the onscreen keyboard can get tiresome.

Yep. Unfortunately though, being based on Android - which is a phone OS - makes it so that some website will show a specialized "mobile" version optimized for tiny screens .. but on that tablet, the screen is big enough for standard browsing! Most have a link to go to the main site instead of the special mobile one, but I've been to a few that locked me to the mobile version.
Not sure about the actual screen size of your device (unless I just overread it :bag:), but even the iPad is still recognized as mobile device by many websites, even though it basically has full resoultion (1024x768). I usually switch to the normal site then, especially as I can easily zoom in at any spot I may need to.

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
Not sure about the actual screen size of your device (unless I just overread it :bag:), but even the iPad is still recognized as mobile device by many websites, even though it basically has full resoultion (1024x768). I usually switch to the normal site then, especially as I can easily zoom in at any spot I may need to.

It's a 10.1" screen with a resolution of 1280x800 - more than enough for standard web view .. though zoom comes in handy at times ;)