Author Topic: London mayor Boris Johnson has the biggest balls in the UK  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
London mayor Boris Johnson has the biggest balls in the UK
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:41:23 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-motorcade-fined-london-congestion-fees-173333994.html

We erased billions of dollars in war debt from the UK after WWII, and this guy has the temerity to want to be paid for congestion fines. He's got brass balls the size of the Isle of Wight.  :redcard:

Najemikon

Re: London mayor Boris Johnson has the biggest balls in the UK
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
Why the reference to WWII? It's hardly here or there. And it's hardly a big balls situation when we're talking about the Mayor of London when actually he's got a point. This story focuses on Obama and America, but when you read on, apparently two-thirds of embassies do pay the charge. So why one rule here and one rule there?

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate though. There is a lot of opposition to the congestion charge and some see it as a tax on drivers, already unfairly treated by other taxes, and simply a means to generate free cash. It's worth remembering that Boris represents London and the interests of its people. He will be keen to appear even-handed. He's controversially supported the charges, despite it seriously putting small businesses at risk (a delivery driver may need to travel through London multiple times a day) and so opponents of the system may reasonably ask, why should foreign embassies be exempt? They don't contribute to the UK economy and state visits put a strain on resources already. Boris defends the charge on an environmental basis, yet he should turn a blind eye to extravagant motorcades? And then when you think that we in the UK are facing some very severe cuts in services, knowing that there's £5million owed leaves a bad taste.

Again I stress I'm just trying to see through the bullshit! I don't give a damn about whether they pay or not, but if I regularly travelled through London, I'd be against the congestion charge system anyway. On the other hand, if I lived in London, I'd also be somewhat reassured to know the Mayor feels everyone should pay it and doesn't just pick on easy targets.

Boris is a fascinating character. He comes across as a bumbling pillock one day and a political genius the next. My first reaction to this story was to laugh! It's typical Boris and his gameplan isn't clear. I suspect he knows it's a shot to nothing, but the fact he's trying shows his first consideration will always be the city. That's excellent PR and the US Embassy might want to consider that benefit for themselves before dismissing it.

Schwarzenegger was no fool in that department...

Actually you might not be able to play this, but Boris's appearance on Top Gear was hilarious. Jeremy Clarkson challenges his environmental, anti-car views, but he comes across well...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:40:55 PM »
Why the reference to WWII?
Who know :shrug:
Some American are like that and like to bring past non-sense in current situation...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:38:26 AM »
What is the congestion charge?  I don't really understand that.  Does everyone who drives in London have to pay it?  Does it just kick in when there is more traffic?  Does everyone have to pay the same amount?

I'm thinking I might have heard something about this on Top Gear..maybe season 15.  There was some government guy on - least I think he was with the government - and Jeremy went off about a some stuff.  Less lanes on some busy streets I think...lower speed limits..  The audience didn't like the guy, whoever he was.  There might have been some kind of extra charge thing mentioned too.  Hmmm.....
I'll have to dig out my DVD and watch the episode again.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:28:29 AM »
What is the congestion charge?
I don't know about London, but I know other cities have something like it, like Singapore or also some cities in Germany (I think).

The basic idea is to divert cars away from the city and try to get people to use public transport more. In turn, traffic jams get reduced. Of course it generates "free cash", but there is a purpose behind this.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:37:27 AM »
That's it, Achim. Marie, you're thinking of John Prescott, who was trying to defend the bus lane on the m25.

That's one of the busiest motorways in britain and the government shut a section of one lane off for buses, so effectively at busiest times, drivers would have to ignore an empty lane in case a bus needed it!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:24:19 AM »
That's it, Achim. Marie, you're thinking of John Prescott, who was trying to defend the bus lane on the m25.

That's one of the busiest motorways in britain and the government shut a section of one lane off for buses, so effectively at busiest times, drivers would have to ignore an empty lane in case a bus needed it!

Ahh..ok.  I knew it was something with a busy street or highway and reducing lanes for some reason.

Hmmm...ok..and with the congestion charge thing.  Does it get charged when there is a traffic jam?