Author Topic: My Computer Died This Week  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: My Computer Died This Week
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 05:51:39 AM »
Can you check on the progress with the computer to see when it is shipping?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 06:36:13 AM »
I could never order a computer online. I want to go to the store, try it out and take it home right away.

I've been working tons of extra time over the last month - averaging over 70 hours a week - that I decided I'm going to buy myself a new computer.

I'm not going to get an Apple system because of DVDP. I'm going to give my current computer to my niece otherwise I would have thought about it.

So, all you computer experts, tell me what I should get. I might go for a desk top version instead of a lap top but let me know your preferences on both.

I'm looking at up to about $1,000. I just bought Dragon (haven't hooked it up yet) so it will need a microphone.

I also just bought Cyberlink Power DVD 11 which means I can play Blu Ray (I think!) so I'm no longer a Blu Ray hold out!  :P

A built in camera would be nice...in case I want to post any dirty pictures.  :devil:

I don't know anything about specs or whatever so please let me know what I should get along those lines.

Thank you!

RossRoy

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 02:38:52 PM »
Laptop vs desktop? I prefer desktop personally .. well, to be honest? I actually loathe laptop! cramped keyboard, tiny screen, useless touchpads .. you get the picture ;)

As for specs - since I don't think you play games, anything on the shelves of an electronics store will do really. Basically go to the store, and tell the clerk the features you want most: integrated webcam (integrated might be available only on laptop - but some kits come with a clip on cam that goes on the monitor), blu ray player, micrphone, ya da ya da ya da and he'll show you what they have with those features.

As for actual spec .. everything these days is more than powerful enough, and costs nowhere near 1,000$ (unless you want gaming - gaming is always the defining point).

Things to look out for? Dual core processor is pretty standard these days, 4GB+ RAM memory wouldn't hurt, 500GB+ hard drive won't hurt either.

The rest is all technobabble.

EDIT:

Oh wait, if you are going for blu ray, you might want to make sure the system has an HDMI port for future proofing - or if you already have a HDTV to go with the bluray.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:41:01 PM by RossRoy »