Author Topic: French Canadians, I need your help  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
French Canadians, I need your help
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:25:50 AM »
My mémère used to make a pork spread that she called corton, gorton or guhton, I don't know the spelling. I used to absolutely love this stuff, and I'm looking for a good French Canadian recipe.

RossRoy

Re: French Canadians, I need your help
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:39:51 AM »
I'm guessing you mean "creton" - and since you want a good French Canadian recipe, how about a recipe in french? ;)

This is as close as it gets to my grandmother's recipe:
http://www.recettes.qc.ca/recettes/recette.php?id=160

INGREDIENTS
1 lb (454 g) lean ground pork*
1 lb (454 g) ground veal
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) chicken broth concentrate
1 1 / 2 tsp (7 mL) garlic powder
1 / 4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
2 tsp (10 ml) salt
1 pinch cloves
1 cup (250 ml) evaporated milk, Carnation brand
1 cup (250 ml) water
1 packet (28 g) gelatin neutral

INSTRUCTIONS
Mix everything, except gelatin, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, stirring from time to time.

Using whatever you prefer (they say to use a potato masher), make sure there are no clumps of meat, that it's pretty smooth in texture.

Add the gelatin powder

Let it cool. Distributed into containers. Refrigerate (or freeze - just make sure to defrost into the refridgerator- none of that quick microwave or even counter defreezing).

* my grandmother would replace the gelatin for the fattiest ground pork she can find. But go with your preference. If you go lean with gelatine, 28g of gelatin seems like a lot (and comments on the recipe site seem to agree). You'll have to experiment.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:43:24 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 06:00:10 AM »
This is as close as it gets to my grandmother's recipe:
http://www.recettes.qc.ca/recettes/recette.php?id=160

The picture in that recipe looks like it, but I don't remember my mémère using garlic powder, evaporated milk or chicken broth. I do remember her using pork leaf lard though and a lot of black pepper.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:28:53 AM »
Maybe this will help too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2X7FaYCwI

Thanks, I found this recipe this morning...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gorton-French-Canadian-Pork-Spread/Detail.aspx

I'm going to try and meld the two recipes together because I like the milk as a tenderizer, but it definitely needs the pork fat.

My mémère's was very peppery and loaded with pork kidney leaf lard and was so delicious. She used a lot of pork fat and the consistency of the gorton was like butter. The saddest thing in my life was when she suffered a paralyzing stroke, and was unable to speak properly. I never got the chance to get her recipes. She made the absolutely best Tourtiere ever. I could eat a whole pie in one sitting.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:47:46 AM »
She made the absolutely best Tourtiere ever. I could eat a whole pie in one sitting.
What most people call tourtiere is only a meat pie, you should try what we call tourtiere here in my region... No one, even me and this is my favorite dish, can't eat more than two portions (it's even better when you have fresh meat after a weekend of hunting).

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:01:25 AM »
That does look good. Is it made with pork or a combination of pork and veal or pork and beef?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »
Every meat you can get your hands on. you mix all kinds of meat in it, my mother even put chicken in it sometimes. If you are a hunter you can put wild animals in it like partridge, hare, Canadian elk, etc.

God I would love to eat one right now :drooling:

The receipe was probably develloped here as a way to not waste the meat when the population was mostly formed of small farmers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:12:02 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:06:33 AM »
That looks like meat, with side orders of meat and meat :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »
Lightweight...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:40:49 AM »
They should be shot for wasting that much bacon, because you know most of that sandwich got thrown out with the trash. In fact I think wasting bacon is a mortal sin. I do recall that on the 8th day, God created bacon, and the eleventh commandment is Thou shalt not waste bacon  ;)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 06:07:56 AM »
These two morons are from Montreal (not something I'm particularly proud of) and were interviewed on a very popular talk show here in quebec earlier this spring.

They claimed that they eat everything they cook and nothing goes to waste. When asked, the one with the beard said they don't necessarily eat it all at once, sometimes it takes them a few days but he's adamant that nothing ever gets wasted.

Still.................they're morons.....................imo at least.  And talking about waste.............looking at their eyes during the interview I'd say they may not waste food but they were both totally wasted :)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 06:27:54 AM »
"Everything is better with bacon." No...?

Lightweight...
:hysterical:

"pink meat disc" :laugh:

...and epic how he added 1 muffin to the otherwise already massive order. :thumbup:

They may be morons, but they are morons with almost 900,000 subscribers on YouTube ;) (that probably pays for the meals right there...)

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
Wasting the bacon, I can understand is a sin. Definitely. But as for the rest, it's from McDonald's so not real food at all.  ;) Do they still use liquid egg?  :yucky:

Talking of bacon...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:22:48 AM »
I was only commenting on the bacon, who cares if they throw out the rest.

Do they still use liquid egg?  :yucky:

You'd be surprised Jon, unless you can see the kitchen, odds are that most places that do eggs will use pre-shelled eggs just like McDonalds.It saves time and usually is a lot cheaper than cracking your own eggs. I think they taste like shit.