Author Topic: It's a joke from the Sun right?  (Read 7895 times)

Najemikon

Re: It's a joke from the Sun right?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 03:28:45 AM »
We do "need" Royal involvement in the Military, because our armed forces are built around the Monarchy. You've heard the phrase, "For Queen and Country"? It's hard to appreciate just how deeply that is felt and the attitude runs right through every level. All the regiments are named in suitable fashion and the high ranking family members are their chiefs. I do believe we have the finest and most professional forces in the world somewhat because of this sense of duty to the Royal family, because they represent the people. Again, England as an ideal, less of a place. And when they serve, they are no braver than the average soldier they work with of course and despite their efforts, are shielded from the most extreme conflicts simply because they would be a prize target, but the fact they are there and we know them gives us a sense of a personal connection with all of the forces. It's hard to explain, but switch it around. In the States, what family have the media always followed through military service? Imagine being born into the Royals and knowing you will serve and you absolutely have to be top class. It's that unavoidable duty that you have to appreciate and it sets a fascinating standard for regular recruits to measure up to.

It's the same for charity. It isn't about generosity, but focus. It's that unique dedication of patrons that makes it more heartfelt and makes sure attention is never lost. My mum suffers from a condition called Essential Tremor and the charity used to have Jeremy Paxman (broadcaster) as patron, but he stepped down. Reasons were not clear and what he ever did wasn't very clear either. I like the guy, always have, but what did he do for ET? I have no idea. The charities that have Royals for patrons though, will probably have them for life. That's a hell of a reliable front-man and a guaranteed line of funding without worrying about making sure attention is never lost. Doesn't matter how generous you are if you don't know who needs you.

You speak of ambition. That's the point. The key Royals are brought up in public service and have no use of ambition that could corrupt the system. As The King's Speech showed, he had to take over when his brother abdicated who had no notion of trying to stay on the throne while bucking the rules. He accepted that he couldn't be true to his upbringing, so he stood down. So I can't think what they would need to do to be corrupt, but I'm sure if it was officially decided that Queen Elizabeth was unfit to rule any longer, Parliament could force abdication through law for Charles to succeed. But this seems a far more absurd notion than an elected Government becoming corrupt. But again, this sense of public service is what keeps it all in balance.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 03:42:20 AM »
I don't know a lot about the monarchy either.  I did watch the wedding and I've seen some of the other stuff about it later in the day too... the highlights or whatever. 
Catherine's dress was beautiful.  Her sister looked beautiful too.  William and Catherine looked really happy. 

I was..surprised by some of the hats.  I didn't realize they were so popular in England..or ..well..so odd at times.  A few of them were downright bizarre looking.  Some were perched at weird angles that made me wonder how in the world they stayed on. 

hal9g

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 04:10:09 AM »
Jon,

Thanks for sharing the insights on the relationship between the Royals and the military.  I actually had no idea about that.  Very interesting.

I pray that you are never disappointed in your faith.  Sincerely.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »
I don't know a lot about the monarchy either.  I did watch the wedding and I've seen some of the other stuff about it later in the day too... the highlights or whatever. 
Catherine's dress was beautiful.  Her sister looked beautiful too.  William and Catherine looked really happy. 

I was..surprised by some of the hats.  I didn't realize they were so popular in England..or ..well..so odd at times.  A few of them were downright bizarre looking.  Some were perched at weird angles that made me wonder how in the world they stayed on. 

Agreed, the Middleton girls did look lovely.

In England there are 2 occassions when the big/amazingly constructed hats come out. 1. Society weddings and 2. Ladies Day at the Ascot horse races.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »
It's that unavoidable duty that you have to appreciate and it sets a fascinating standard for regular recruits to measure up to.
I was thinking about this just earlier today, when I saw William on TV (in the airplane, I think). It's an enormous pressure, I suppose and "failure is not an option", really. On the other, it might feel awkward for him all the same, when they don't let him go to the frontline, even if he wanted to (I think that actualy occurred at some point; that he wanted but wasn't allowed, I mean).

Najemikon

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »
They've never managed to get him out there, but after Harry did half a tour-ish on the frontline, it seemed to be accepted that William could as well and he has been keen to do so. It just seems to be logistics that stop him.

Jon,

Thanks for sharing the insights on the relationship between the Royals and the military.  I actually had no idea about that.  Very interesting.

Well, they've doing this a long time. It's kind of taken for granted that this is simply how it works and it works well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:48:39 PM by Jon »

lovemunkey187

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
They've never managed to get him out there, but after Harry did half a tour-ish on the frontline, it seemed to be accepted that William could as well and he has been keen to do so. It just seems to be logistics that stop him.

Jon,

Well, they've doing this a long time. It's kind of taken for granted that this is simply how it works and it works well.

I think that part of the problem for William to be on the frontline is that he is far more recognisable than Harry.

I recently read a book called "Man Down" by Mark Ormrod, who was a Royal Marine that was severly wounded whilst fighting in Afghanistan.
In his book he describes the occassions he met William & Harry(twice). You can tell that it meant a great deal to him, knowing that they had had the same training as him, so understood what he felt and also that they were appreciative of the sacrifices of those men and women serving in the armed forces.