Author Topic: Netflix & Streaming Video  (Read 1587 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Netflix & Streaming Video
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »
Hey all... Recently my brother (lives here with us) signed up for Netflix to get out 1 disc at a time (don't ask me why with all the DVDs I own!) :P And with that he has access to the streaming video.... which means I now have access to the streaming video!  :thumbup:

Does anyone here use Netflix and their streaming Video? I haven't had the chance to check it out to see if it is all worth it or not. But definitely opens me up to many more possibilities! :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Netflix & Streaming Video
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
I don't use Netflix..I've thought about it.  I do know of some people who write for Epinions who use it and the streaming stuff.  They seem to like it.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
I use LoveFilm in the UK and have streamed one or two. Works brilliantly. A heck of a lot depends on the quality of you Internet connection though.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »
I am watching an episode of Monk: Season 6 (the next season I need in my collection) now... the streaming video is much better then I was expecting!  :thumbup:
Pete

m.cellophane

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
I converted my membership to streaming-only. The quality is good. The selection is pretty minimal. It's probably a better selection if you are into more current content. (I like the old stuff.  :) )

Amazon recently started offering some free streaming to Amazon Prime members. I find that the content between Netflix and Amazon Prime gives a decent selection without much overlap. I've enjoyed both, as long as I'm pretty flexible about what I want to watch. Both services tend to have the occasional nugget that's not available on DVD.  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:25:45 PM »
Never used them and never will...

Why? They are as much responsible for the lack of sale of the independant DVD labels that a torent server like Cinemageddon is.
Why? They pay almost no redevance for what they earned from the movies they rent.
How so? They give a monthly ammount to the film right owners.
So they pay? Not so fast, the ammount is a fraction of what they make.
Like what? 1 or 2$ a month for almost everything release by independant labels.

Your right they don't look like a bunch of nice people. Indeed they are a bunch of scumbags leeches.

So the mail renting system they used at the beginning was better? Not at all
Why? They buy very few copies
And? When videostore were physical location any independant releases was sure to sold at least 50000 copies in North America and make a profit to invest in more obscure and different movies. Now it's impossible
Why? Because less and less videostore exist because they have killed them

Oh now I understand :(
What I can do to help? Take chances in your buying habits or, if you watch something you like, get the dvd release.

Thanks for the help :thumbup:
No problem person talking to me in my brain it was my pleasure ;D

hal9g

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
I had a NetFlix membership for many years, BEFORE they were doing streaming video, and found their service to be very good.  I quit them once I realized that I owned way more DVDs than I could possibly watch in the next two years.

I used NetFlix to "test drive" movies and determine if they were films that I wanted to own, rather than buying them just to find out that I would never watch them again.

I will grant you that they only carried the "mainstream" films, but that never bothered me, since I'm a "mainstream" kinda guy (I make no apologies for this).  There are other outlets for the less "mainstream" films, so, I don't fault NetFlix for their decisions; after all, they are a business trying to make a profit (not a dirty word).

I am not interested in "streaming" video to my PC.  First of all, I don't want to watch movies on my 21" monitor when I can watch them on 1 42" plasma display.  Secondly, I only have a stereo sound system on my PC, whereas I have a full 7.1 sound system on my plasma TV.  Sorry, but I just cannot understand anyone wanting to listen to any movie in stereo that could be watched with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.  Thirdly, watching movies on my PC doesn't provide the same experience (environment, comfort, ambiance).

I know....I could stream to my TV, but I'm just not set up to do that.  I have the network connection, but not the service, and just don't see the cost benefit for signing up for it.  Like I said, Ii have too many unwatched DVDs to even think about it for now.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »
I used NetFlix to "test drive" movies and determine if they were films that I wanted to own.
Nice to see that we agree on this ;D

When I saw that you were on your way to reply I was affraid to get a slap on the hand :laugh:

hal9g

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »

When I saw that you were on your way to reply I was affraid to get a slap on the hand :laugh:

Well, if you're into that sort of thing, I could probably take care of you!   :hysterical:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:24 PM »
I have Netflix streaming and absolutely LOVE it!

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone else.  If you go to Netflix hoping to find whatever, prepare to be disappointed.  But if you start with the streaming and just see what they have, you'll have much better luck and less frustration.  90% of the time I want to see if something is available, it isn't.  But I have a gigantic queue of things they do have I want to get to at some point.  Hope that makes sense! :laugh:

I feel your excitement.  HBO released their HBO Go app today for my phone.  Every episode of every season of every show I believe plus movies, documentaries and so on.  All streaming to my phone.  Going to pick up the adapter today to connect my phone to the TV and I'll be in HBO heaven for weeks.  Or months!  Need to catch up on True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, and on and on and on!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:48:00 PM by Mark Harrison »