Author Topic: It's a joke from the Sun right?  (Read 7897 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
It's a joke from the Sun right?
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »

Najemikon

Re: It's a joke from the Sun right?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »
You have to understand our tabloids, Jimmy. They will grasp one basic fact and turn it into sensational bollocks, especially when it involves racism, because they can twist it into a headline about how the Great British sense of humour is misunderstood in a World Gone Mad! Mad! I tell you!

In truth, reading between the lines, I bet he is a bigot, or at least has a skewed sense of humour, and there is a lot more to this. He wouldn't have been arrested on the basis of one basic complaint. Warned, yes, arrested, no. That whole piece is absolutely from his perspective, remember.

Note the difference in tone from The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8475965/Pub-singers-racism-arrest-over-Kung-Fu-Fighting-performance.html

They make no mention of the Facebook line, for instance, which is one of the things that makes me think the guy is a prick.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 11:14:14 PM »
Even in the article you post Jon I don't understand what is the big deal :shrug:

For me it's just like if a French Canadian would be offended by someone singing The Frog Song from Robert Charlebois. It's just a song writen more than 30 years ago and not something he wrote especially for this show...

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:27:08 PM »
You have to take people's "modern" sensibilities into consideration. Don't forget we are in an era of political correctness to the extreme ..

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:58:13 PM »
You have to take people's "modern" sensibilities into consideration. Don't forget we are in an era of political correctness to the extreme ..

Not necessarily. Some people argue that there is no such thing as PC and it's just the media and how they report it. For instance...

Even in the article you post Jon I don't understand what is the big deal :shrug:

For me it's just like if a French Canadian would be offended by someone singing The Frog Song from Robert Charlebois. It's just a song writen more than 30 years ago and not something he wrote especially for this show...

You have to separate the song and the context. There's nothing wrong with Kung Fu Fighting. It's a cheesy disco classic that's been around for decades. It's fun and not in the least bit offensive. In the guys defence, it's played at every wedding reception, Christmas party, etc, so he very likely did plan to play it.

However what we don't know about this story because it's from the point of view of the DJ is how it was played and when. If he implied he was playing it because he'd seen a Chinese person and persisted with that, then it becomes bullying. If it went to court, the jury wouldn't declare the song as offensive and ban it, they would recognise the only problem was the DJ's attitude.

The 'victim', for want of a better word, is unlikely to attribute any blame to the song, nor even take seriously the twat playing it, but the result is he's in the spotlight being laughed at.

Imagine if you were in a bar on your own and every time you stood up to go to the toilet, the DJ saluted and played the French National Anthem, La Marseillaise, until you sat down again. The music has nothing to do with you, but the DJ is ignorant, doesn't know that and thinks he's being funnny. That doesn't stop you from getting annoyed at him.

Now I'm sure in such a situation, you would handle it in a very entertaining, possibly violent, fashion. ;) Again, we don't know what was going on and the Chinese people may not have had the confidence to deal with it themselves. And of course, there is still entirely the possibility that this DJ was right and these silly people have decided to find offence where there wasn't any.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:08:01 AM »
Imagine if you were in a bar on your own and every time you stood up to go to the toilet, the DJ saluted and played the French National Anthem, La Marseillaise, until you sat down again. The music has nothing to do with you, but the DJ is ignorant, doesn't know that and thinks he's being funnny.
I would find it funny considering the fact we aren't French anymore since 1763 :laugh:
But I wouldn't call the police on that, I would just advice him to go back to school and listen his class well this time :laugh:

But if a French Canadian national anthem would exist (it will one day... at least I hope) that would made me proud of my origins and not ashamed or insulted because of my cultural background.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »
Imagine if you were in a bar on your own and every time you stood up to go to the toilet, the DJ saluted and played the French National Anthem, La Marseillaise, until you sat down again. The music has nothing to do with you, but the DJ is ignorant, doesn't know that and thinks he's being funnny.
I would find it funny considering the fact we aren't French anymore since 1763 :laugh:

Exactly! That's what I expected you to say. ;)

But I wouldn't call the police on that, I would just advice him to go back to school and listen his class well this time :laugh:

The sensible approach, but some people are more sensitive and less able to deal with such a situation. Again though, we don't actually know what went on.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »
Seriously... I just can't believe something that stupid :shrug:

Not any dumber than teaching children to say His/Her Royal Highness or Your Royal Majesty in the 21st century.  :headscratch:  :stars:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »
Hey we learn that too right when we start kindergarden since we are always a British colony.... :redcard:

Certainly not... at least not in our part of the country :laugh:
But the colony part is always true, since the Queen is always the Head of the State here :shrug:

I'm sure that outsiders are far more excited by anything monarchy related than most British are... Seriously the TV coverage of this week wedding here is insane, who care if a guy who did nothing in his life married a girl who did also nothing in her life :shrug:

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 01:58:44 AM »
Not any dumber than teaching children to say His/Her Royal Highness or Your Royal Majesty in the 21st century.  :headscratch:  :stars:

Where did that come from?  :laugh: Although I was never taught it. It's just a title.  :shrug: I mean, say what you like about the Monarchy, but don't bring the kids into it, because it certainly isn't part of a lesson plan.

I suppose I'm a Royalist, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut in this thread now! ;) Not that I'll be watching the wedding, I'm really not that bothered. But Jimmy, be in no doubt, the hotbed of Royal hype well and truly starts with the home nation. It's nauseating how all the channels seem to be turning everything toward the wedding whether it started that way or not, but there is huge interest to be sure.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 02:10:02 AM »
I suppose I'm a Royalist, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut in this thread now! ;)
Hey I don't want you to go :(

I just found weird that people got that excited about people they don't know or will never meet. To be honest I say the same thing about a lot of things, if I'm not concerned personally or don't find it important I react this way  :shrug:

I was under the impression that most of the people waiting on the road were foreigners not native, I even saw some US flags on the news today...

Of course when I talk monarchy you must add to the mix the fact that I'm a proud French Canadian Nationalist (just not an antique one who think anything that isn't french is a menace to us). :whistle:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 05:59:55 AM »
Where did that come from?  :laugh: Although I was never taught it. It's just a title.  :shrug: I mean, say what you like about the Monarchy, but don't bring the kids into it, because it certainly isn't part of a lesson plan.

My wife was surfing channels earlier today and they showed little girls at a school somewhere in London being taught how to genuflect...oops...I mean curtsy and say Yes Your Majesty.

I suppose I'm a Royalist, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut in this thread now! Wink

Just one question though Jon, now that you're stating your Royalist sympathies...Over the last year I have heard it mentioned many times in the media that William was marrying a Commoner. If you are a Royalist, then this wouldn't bother you, but as a human being, doesn't this rankle you at least a little? It is this attachment to the anachronistic and antiquated aristocratic class system which brought about the weakening of the British Empire.

As fucked up as my country is now, I thank the stars above that I was lucky enough to be born in a country where I bow to no man or woman, because they were born to a class above my station. As you know, I love a lot of things pertaining to British culture and history, but this is the one thing I cannot fathom.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 06:06:38 AM »
As you know, I love a lot of things pertaining to British culture and history, but this is the one thing I cannot fathom.
Compare to the cast system in India this isn't too bad

lovemunkey187

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 10:29:59 AM »

My wife was surfing channels earlier today and they showed little girls at a school somewhere in London being taught how to genuflect...oops...I mean curtsy and say Yes Your Majesty.

It's possible that the kids were being prep'd ready fro either something to do with the wedding itself, or maybe Queenie was going to be visiting the school and the kids were being taught the polite and respectful way to meet our Monarch.

I suppose I'm a Royalist, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut in this thread now! Wink

Just one question though Jon, now that you're stating your Royalist sympathies...Over the last year I have heard it mentioned many times in the media that William was marrying a Commoner. If you are a Royalist, then this wouldn't bother you, but as a human being, doesn't this rankle you at least a little? It is this attachment to the anachronistic and antiquated aristocratic class system which brought about the weakening of the British Empire.

As fucked up as my country is now, I thank the stars above that I was lucky enough to be born in a country where I bow to no man or woman, because they were born to a class above my station. As you know, I love a lot of things pertaining to British culture and history, but this is the one thing I cannot fathom.

Is that any different than if say a Kennedy or a Rockefellar was to marry some trailer park redneck from Bunny Kill, Alabama?

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »

It's possible that the kids were being prep'd ready fro either something to do with the wedding itself, or maybe Queenie was going to be visiting the school and the kids were being taught the polite and respectful way to meet our Monarch.

I'm sure that would be it.

Antares, part of your problem is possibly how our country is being presented to you in your media. You're paying too much attention to words like "curtsy" or "commoner" and this talk about "bowing and scraping". You think we're in servitude? Of course not. There is a class system of sorts here as part of pomp and circumstance, but it has no practical impact on everyday life. To put it in context, someone who advocates getting rid of the Royal Family all together does so because they don't think they do anything constructive and lead a privileged life, but I've never heard anyone complain about being called a "commoner". It carries no weight and the fact Kate is marrying into the Royals shows how attitudes have changed.

No-one in Britain thinks like that, regardless of their stance on Royalty. The irony is, those born into upper classes generally have a contented and grateful view of their position and work very, very hard to provide for their local area, making sure the rights of everyone are preserved. For instance, if they own huge amounts of land that's been in the family for generations, then it's unlikely it's going to be sold off to the first corporate with a huge cheque.

Doesn't always work like that, but of the [very] few I've met, that's the impression I get. They don't have to worry about attaining more "power", so they apply themselves to what they have and can't be bought. They recognise their place in society, where actually, most people don't, who worry about having more money, better cars, bigger houses, etc, and don't give a shit about their neighbours. Well, that's typical of Middle Class... us workers are quite happy as well. ;)

Apply that thinking to Royalty. You have this family at the very top of the chain who don't worry about attaining power, because it's been handed to them. Queen Liz's position is as powerful as it gets in the modern world and she answers only to her religion. Their time is applied to services, be it armed, charitable or religious and so work for us, the commoners, and the bigger picture, never for themselves. They don't sit in a big room full of money, cackling, while whipping slaves!  :laugh:

Royalty is a life of service for us, which is why we pay respects to them. Now, that's the traditional, romantic view. Do we actually need them in a modern world? I think so because of how it affects politics and creates an effective status quo, because even the highest office of Prime Minister is a position dictated by the people and endorsed by the Monarch. Between us, we own and control them. As such, when it comes to local elections, regardless of the fact he "runs the country", David Cameron will be knocking on doors canvassing for his party like any other MP. If I lived in his constituency, it would not be surprising if he rang my doorbell to ask me how I was getting on with local services.

In your super-free, bow to no-one America, can you claim that? Your politicians are untouchable.

Is that any different than if say a Kennedy or a Rockefellar was to marry some trailer park redneck from Bunny Kill, Alabama?

Exactly. There is just as much a class system in the States, it's just ours is more honest. :whistle:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:52:08 AM by Jon »