Author Topic: amazon.ca and etc...  (Read 1888 times)

Fasteddie33

amazon.ca and etc...
« on: March 17, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »
So,how exactly does the buying and shipping work,when buying from a non US site??...Will it automaticaly convert to us dollars??..How about shipping??

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: amazon.ca and etc...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:09:35 AM »
So,how exactly does the buying and shipping work,when buying from a non US site??...Will it automaticaly convert to us dollars??..How about shipping??

Depends on the site. Some offer conversion to US dollars (AFAIR amazon.ca does). If not, you simply pay with the credit card and it gets converted there. I am not sure how it is with US credit cards, but here often a small conversion fee (percentage of the amount paid) is applied.
For shipping just look at the international shipping rates of the sites. It differs.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
Not all sites offer international shipping, so that is usually the first thing I check when visiting a new site; but I mostly ran into this trouble in the US, so probably less of a problem for you.

Usually there are shipping options, meaning you can choose regular mail (usually still faster than their estimates) or DHL/UPS/FedEx, which will get the stuff to you within 2-3 days.

Some sites will ask you to provide a copy of your credit card or of a recent credit card statement when you order with them for the first time. You can usually fax or e-mail a scan and that's that.

Again, less of a problem in the US, maybe, but you might want to make sure the film you order is legal in your country, or risk it being confiscated by the customs, IF they decide to look into your package.

In the 10+ years I have been ordering only (much more than buying in brick and mortar stores) only one package got lost. A second one was delayed for 4 months and arrived after its replacement had already reached me :laugh:

It's really just about the first time, I would think... Once you successfully ordered your first set of DVDs you quickly realize how much larger your opportunities are from then on ;)

Fasteddie33

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »
Awesome!!, thanks...I cant find anything on Amazon.co.uk where it says anything about shipping or international buying at all...oh well,guess its just me,but they have some really cool stuff!!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
Awesome!!, thanks...I cant find anything on Amazon.co.uk where it says anything about shipping or international buying at all...oh well,guess its just me,but they have some really cool stuff!!

Here you go.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
Delivery rates for Amzon UK to USA: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=11072991

By the way, the price you see on Amazon is NOT the price you will be charged. Because you are not living in the UK you do not have to pay our 20% tax (which here is included in price). So, if an item says £10, you will pay £8 and it comes off at the checkout screen.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:27:46 PM »
Awesome!!, thanks...I cant find anything on Amazon.co.uk where it says anything about shipping or international buying at all...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=11072991
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
By the way, the price you see on Amazon is NOT the price you will be charged. Because you are not living in the UK you do not have to pay our 20% tax (which here is included in price). So, if an item says £10, you will pay £8 and it comes off at the checkout screen.

For Germany it then adds the German tax (19%).
Has the UK tax changed? I haven't compared the prices after checkout for awhile, but in the past I paid more after the UK tax was substracted and the German tax was added.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 03:29:49 PM »
Has the UK tax changed? I haven't compared the prices after checkout for awhile, but in the past I paid more after the UK tax was substracted and the German tax was added.

Yes it has. From 16% to 20% or so. Now you pay less than the item page says.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »
Yes, tax went from 17.5% to 15% to try and help the economy, now its 20% to help pay the deficit (a move I agree with but thats a whole different discussion!).

Fasteddie33

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
Wow!!..Thanks for all the help!!..I love this site!!...One more question,will it automaticaly configure all this when I go to purchase something,or will it give me trouble after I purchase it??

Thanks again everybody!!    :thanks:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 03:50:29 PM »
One more question,will it automaticaly configure all this when I go to purchase something
When you give your delivery adress as US it will take away any inner-european sales tax, yes.

But keep in mind that you are importing goods beyond a customs border. I don't know if that's a federal or state issue in the U.S. but check your official customs website for any import taxes so that you don't get a nasty surprise. That's something Amazon can't tell you.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:56:58 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
By the way, the price you see on Amazon is NOT the price you will be charged. Because you are not living in the UK you do not have to pay our 20% tax (which here is included in price).
When I did start importing from Europe this is something that confused me for awhile. Of course here in Quebec we are use to see the taxes (who will increase again next year like many other things... Budget days are so fun :voodoo:) add to the price and not have them hidden in the price. But our system was like the european one untill 1988 I think (not sure if the TPS and TVQ really appeared that precise year :voodoo:).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 05:01:21 AM »
As DJDoena already said, import taxes may apply. Usually there is a limit upto which the package is duty free (in Taiwan I usually stay below USD100 or £60 per order), once you figure that out you just try to keep your orders below that amount.