Author Topic: Going Bollywood  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Going Bollywood
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »
I'll have to check those out.  Do any of these have musical numbers?  I do like a good musical  ::)  I also like comedies...are any of these funny?

All except "Black" have song numbers. Of these I would call "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham" the most like a musical.
From the ones currently recommended, I would call "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi" the most comedic (rom-com). Today I watched a good comedic one (my review will come up tomorrow, when my scans are released): "3 Idiots".

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 12:32:11 AM »
I looked up a few of the movies in your  reviews Tom and didn't see any. So, I figured they might not be the best.

But, for the price, I can always dump the DVD and keep the empty case.

Or, I could start a Care package for Pete!  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:59:40 AM »
Now Kathy... if you actually cared... you wouldn't!  :laugh:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 01:11:37 AM »
All except "Black" have song numbers. Of these I would call "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham" the most like a musical.
From the ones currently recommended, I would call "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi" the most comedic (rom-com). Today I watched a good comedic one (my review will come up tomorrow, when my scans are released): "3 Idiots".

Okay, Tom, I've decided to start with a pair of these, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham.  This is the ultimate blind buy...trying a whole new film genre.  Here's hoping I enjoy them...  :thanks:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:40 AM »
I hope you enjoy them too Roger! :)

But if you don't... find a good home for them.... just not mine!  :tease:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 02:46:53 AM »
But...but...you're the only one I have an address to... :laugh:  And Kath has so Bollywood films coming already!  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 02:53:23 AM »
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 03:43:55 AM »
I followed Kathy's example and did some downsizing today when I went to Walmart.  I picked up Battlestar Gallactica Season 2.5.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:57 AM »
I followed Kathy's example and did some downsizing today when I went to Walmart.  I picked up Battlestar Gallactica Season 2.5.
Maybe the word "downsizing" just doesn't mean what she thinks it does :devil:

Maybe she changed her mind and is now playing Pokemon with DVD: "Gotta collect them all!" :devil:

:-[

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 05:57:25 AM »
 :laugh:

Maybe you're on to something there.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 06:18:55 AM »
I've seen some Boolywood movies on german TV but they looked all the same. Something like that:

Then why did I like the clip from The Guild, but not the one from Big Bang Theory:hmmmm: Btw, big thanks for the former, I hadn't seen anything from that series yet, but I will at least give it a try now.
Matthias

Rogmeister

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 06:55:51 AM »
I decided to look up Tom's reviews of Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, the two Bollywood films I ordered...and I see Dave reviewed these, too.  I was surprised that both of these are over 3 hours long...and Tom even says he gets disappointed know when such films are shorter than that.  Is this normal?  A long film doesn't bother me if it's entertaining.  But one thing does concern me...Tom said the picture quality on one of these (Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, I think) wasn't the greatest on the DVD...I guess they crammed more than they should on one disc.  If I remember correctly, the version I'm getting is on two discs so maybe it won't be so bad on mine.  I note in the plot for Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi that a few characters have alter egos...so it's just like a super-hero movie...right?  :P

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 08:11:15 AM »
Okay, Tom, I've decided to start with a pair of these, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham.  This is the ultimate blind buy...trying a whole new film genre.  Here's hoping I enjoy them...  :thanks:
Please let me know how you like them :)
I am really curious and I also hope you enjoy them :)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »
Then why did I like the clip from The Guild, but not the one from Big Bang Theory:hmmmm: Btw, big thanks for the former, I hadn't seen anything from that series yet, but I will at least give it a try now.

The first is more like a homage to Bollywood, the second is a parody.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:49 AM »
I decided to look up Tom's reviews of Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, the two Bollywood films I ordered...and I see Dave reviewed these, too.  I was surprised that both of these are over 3 hours long...and Tom even says he gets disappointed know when such films are shorter than that.  Is this normal?  A long film doesn't bother me if it's entertaining.  But one thing does concern me...Tom said the picture quality on one of these (Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, I think) wasn't the greatest on the DVD...I guess they crammed more than they should on one disc.  If I remember correctly, the version I'm getting is on two discs so maybe it won't be so bad on mine.  I note in the plot for Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi that a few characters have alter egos...so it's just like a super-hero movie...right?  :P

Three hours is the average. But they are getting shorter nowadays. It's not unusual anymore, if there are "only" two hours long. I have the German DVD of K3G, where I didn't like the picture quality (thus my double-dipping on Blu). You can watch it, but there were scene which noticable artifacts because of cramming too much on one disc (the movie 3.5 hours long after all). Maybe the US/UK DVDs are better.
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi is one alter ego. It's not a superhero movie, but I had the feeling they played it up like one in a few instances regarding the alter ego.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:21:46 AM by Tom »