Author Topic: Going Bollywood  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Going Bollywood
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:14 PM »
I've read so much about these movies I stumbled upon an ebay lot of them. I picked these up for a little more than a buck a piece. This a complete blind buy for me so I hope there are at least a few gems in the bunch. I don't know the UPC on them so I just copied the pictures from the sale. Has anyone heard of or seen any of these?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Going Bollywood
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
I've seen some Boolywood movies on german TV but they looked all the same. Something like that:

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:11:22 PM »
Only seen (and own) Home Delivery from those. Not worth a watch unfortunately.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
Has anyone heard of or seen any of these?

That's quite a bunch. I only know one of these  :laugh:
And that says quite a lot. I own over 100 Bollywood movies and I am often on the look out for new ones. And when I didn't hear of these, how good can they be  :devil:
I am guessing there are mostly older movies where you really have to be hard-core Bollywood fan to enjoy these.

I know "Kites". This one is a fairly recent movie. It's nothing special, but I think a good way for you to start. Its production values are higher than with the older movies. Here is my review for it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »
While I was looking at the covers, I saw Amitabh Bachchan on one: "Teen Patti"
This seems to be one of the latest movies with him, but sadly it hasn't got good reviews (4.0 on IMDb).
Amitabh Bachchan is a living Bollywood legend. So it could be interesting to watch just for him.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
"Koyla" might also be worth a watch. I noticed Shahrukh Khan on the cover. He is the Bollywood superstar of the last twenty years. It also stars Madhuri Dixit. She was a big star in the nineties before she left the Bollywood scene. And also Amrish Puri, who was famous for playing villains and strict fathers. You might know him from the second Indiana Jones movie.

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:07:06 PM »
 :o So Kathy .... how's that downgrading going?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »
 :laugh:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »
I have an evil thought. But I better keep my mouth shut because I want to stay friends with Pete  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »
 :laugh: I already PMed Kathy as soon as I saw this thread... telling her not to send me any of these DVDs!

Her reply was very quick and simple... just...

:devil:

So needless to say... I am worried.  :P
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:23:32 PM »
I've actually thought of PMing Tom a couple times to ask for Bollywood suggestions.  I thought I might like to sample one or two.  My problem is I live in the U.S. and I don't know if we get such movies released over here.  Also, I only know English so if they aren't dubbed, I would at least need English subtitles.  :stars:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »
I've actually thought of PMing Tom a couple times to ask for Bollywood suggestions.  I thought I might like to sample one or two.  My problem is I live in the U.S. and I don't know if we get such movies released over here.  Also, I only know English so if they aren't dubbed, I would at least need English subtitles.  :stars:

I am always willing to give suggestions. They are hardly any English dubs (none come to mind now). I know only of German dubs, but I avoid those. I always watched these with subtitles. Most (if not all) of the Bollywood movies I bought from the UK are region-free (and mostly NTSC). So these should all work just fine for you.

Edit: I see a lot of movies on amazon.com. I could try to find some good ones for you. Is there a specific direction you want to go?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:39:28 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:51:57 PM »
Not a typical Bollywood movie, but it is one a lot of here already own and as far as I know enjoyed:
Black

A typical modern Bollywood movie which is one of my favorites:
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham

A few others I really like:
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
Veer-Zaara

I see also a lot of other great movies on there (the selection is already quite big on amazon.com), so if needed I can give a lot of further recommendations. Most of the titles you see under "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" I have seen, so I can give you my opinion on these, too.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »
:laugh: I already PMed Kathy as soon as I saw this thread... telling her not to send me any of these DVDs!

Her reply was very quick and simple... just...

:devil:

So needless to say... I am worried.  :P

:laugh:

She might be trying to expand your horizons.  ;)

Hmmm...so this is how downsizing works?  Then I've been downsizing for years.   :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 12:13:02 AM »
I'll have to check those out.  Do any of these have musical numbers?  I do like a good musical  ::)  I also like comedies...are any of these funny?