Author Topic: A New Pet Peeve  (Read 4436 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: A New Pet Peeve
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »
I never seen... or heard of the movie before (under either name)... but I do tend to enjoy movies about serial killers and such... suspense/thrillers. So hopefully it isn't too bad of a movie!
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »
I think I have seen that film and, for what it was, enjoyed watching it.

I think it was more that nobody wanted to see Stallone at the time, rather than the film being utter shit. I'd say it's regular Stallone action fare...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
I will probably watch it before too long myself.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »
I rented it a few years ago...never got around to writing up a review for some reason.  I think I liked it overall.

widescreen forever

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 06:31:59 PM »
Both versions on one side of the disc. Yes... I have seen that before... you pop the disc in... hit play and it asks you Widescreen or Fullscreen. But this one is not done like that... on this one I hit play and just got the full screen version. I thought to myself... Damn another full screen only re-release?

Then I go into the set-up menu... and that is where they put the option! I felt relieved. But I just couldn't believe they had it default to Pan & Scan version instead of defaulting to the widescreen version! Is there really still that many people out there that prefer Pan & Scan over OAR!?!
Looks like the person in charge of authoring the disc skipped that menu item .. Without googling this title  was it by any chance a Sony Columbia release?  as they cater to the video box stores and usually ship full frame movies,  as their customers who still live in the 80's .. perfer full frame to their TV sets ..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:33:36 PM by widescreen forever »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »
Not sure... all I can find on the back of the case is DEJ Productions. And I am not familiar with many studios.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
Bringing back an old topic because I have seen something on 2 or three titles lately that makes me shake my head when I see it. Just no excuse other then the studios being cheap and lazy.

Starting to make the menus looking very cheap on a few new TV series I have.

The main menu isn't great... but it isn't too bad...

At least it has an image of the 2 main stars.

But then you get to the other menus and you have something that looks like someone did it (lazily) on their home computer...

So yes... looks like I have myself a new pet peeve.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
But at least the titles are right. *refers to his Melissa & Joey contribution*
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
This is true... but IMHO this still looks terrible. You expect more then something that looks like was made on a home computer when you buy the set from the studios. Especially when they are charging the same price as they always have.

I know I have 2 Broke Girls: Season 1 and Hart of Dixie: Season 1 in my collection like this... and I want to say one more... but can't remember which of if for sure.

I just hate to see such a trend of such cheap generic looking menus start.
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »
Maybe it has more to do with what the producers/studios think of the series itself  ???
Thank you
David

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
Personally, I don't care. What I can't stand are long sequences of unskippable crap which prevents me from watching the actual movie/series. These are not only trailers and FBI warnings but also menu animations who look cute at first put get annoying pretty fast.

The two requirements I have for a TV show menu is a play all function and a single episode access. I don't even need a scene access, because I rarely if ever stop watching in the middle of an episode.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 06:16:41 AM »
But then you get to the other menus and you have something that looks like someone did it (lazily) on their home computer...
Those arrows and ther buttons look very much like on the DVDs for The Big Bang Theory. But at least there they ave some pictures as well...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »
I create menu like that for my DVD-R... but there is moving image in mine. Never tought I was better than a DVD label at packaging my stuff :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:22:25 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »
My new/revived pet peeve are social cliques.

I do well when around one or two people. When there are three people and me in a group, I end up almost always left out and just listening. Even at my 10-year class reunion years ago, classmates were all seeing each other for the first time and 10 years, and within minutes, everyone had huddled up in their groups they formed when we were kids. There were several people I never got to talk to outside of a "Hey" because they were already too consumed with each other. (I wasn't the only one having to deal with this.)

What revived this pet peeve, though, was joining a forum for the purpose of helping (they even ask for help on the website. It's a bunch of "community projects.") yet without knowing a thing about me, they acted like snobs like the work that they have already done is more important than any work that I could ever possibly add.

It's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:53:20 PM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »
That sort of thing bugs me too.
I don't do large groups well either.  I tend to be quiet when surrounded by people.  That does not mean that I'm anti-social or avoiding people.  I just don't have to be a loud mouth or the center of attention in a group setting.  I got fed up with people telling me to cheer up or be more friendly or whatever years ago.  People just don't get that some people are fine with sitting quietly or not being surrounded by people every waking minute.  Frankly, I prefer some time to myself to just read, crochet, watching a movie, or whatever.

Every year in November/December we have to have training for work..it is basically the same thing every year, but we still have to do it.  This year a different person is ..."teaching" and she kept singling me out..I hate that.  She also kept saying that I was hiding when I was just sitting at my desk before the class started.  We have cubicles now to allow for more privacy with clients.  Having the cubicles set up makes it harder for any class stuff in the office..they were making people crowd together in this open space.  The first day she went and said that I wouldn't be allowed to hide, she was going to make me sit front and center.  When I said I wasn't hiding - which I wasn't...I was just sitting at my desk before stuff started - she argued with me.  She has made a crack about me hiding every day and I'm about fed up with it.  She isn't my favorite person anyway...there is just something about her that bugs me.  This has not helped.