Author Topic: A New Pet Peeve  (Read 4434 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
A New Pet Peeve
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:43:14 PM »
I discovered a new pet peeve when I got that huge box of DVDs. Many of them were bought used from a video store. That is all great... no problem. I used to manage a video store... so know how good such a thing can be.

But this is what I don't get. I have seen a few in this batch where the store placed their sticker not on the Keep Case... but actually took the cover art out of the keep case and placed their sticker on the paper! A couple of them I noticed the sticker over top some of the overview on the back. What kind of sense does that make? People can't read the overview to see if they want to rent/buy the disc! I would have never even thought of doing such a thing when I was working at the local video store!
Pete

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
Re: A New Pet Peeve
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »
That's weird. Among other things it took them extra effort to do that.

Not quite sure if I would call this a pet peeve, but I went to my local place for the first time since I moved here 11 years ago and asked them for empty cases (to replace some of the cruddy ones). I don't know what kind of clear plastic they use on the outside, but putting them together is like a hockey puck on ice.

On my usual surfaces it doesn't seem to be a problem, though, and I won't keep the cases staked on top of each other once they have DVDs in them, but for now they are like trying to handle butter with grease on your hands :laugh:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:02:11 AM »
I know a lot of people that buy used DVDs. I hate stickers and seldom buy them for just that reason.

Of course I like it when I get free DVDs too but those damn stickers...I usually try and get rid of them. Goo gone, cotton tip swaps and lots of time usually takes care of it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:12:50 AM »
Yeah... I can handle stickers on the case... if worse comes to worse I can replace the case... but what do you do if the actual cover art is all mucked up with stickers?

I never seen Goo Gone in my area... but then I would still be afraid it would damage/stain the cover art. Though I guess a stain is better then a sticker. :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »
If you take your time and use the tiniest amount, you can get the sticker off without staining. But, it is a time consuming process. It really is annoying though.

No wonder the person sent you the DVDs...they wanted to get rid of the damn stickers!  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:37 AM »
 :laugh: That is ok! Free DVDs definitely trump the stupidity of the video store employees!  :P
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »
Speaking of buying used DVDs, I noticed the other day that my local Blockbuster store is closing and they have stickers all over their windows about selling their movies.  I guess I should go over there and see what they have.  I haven't been to this store in probably a couple of years, at least.

Halo2

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 03:51:20 AM »
As far as stickers on the cover art, I hate that too.

Another trick you can try that also takes a lot of patience, is to use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue and get the sticker off. It helps to have some sort of frame to hold the art in place. Take the dryer and aim it at the sticker on high. Be sure to move it around rather than just aiming at one spot. This is especially important if you are using a heat gun. Those suckers get really hot. If I'm using a heat gun, I use a medium or low setting. Once the sticker has warmed up, you can take a small flat screwdriver or exacto knife and get under the edge of the sticker.

Once I have a fair amount of the sticker separated from the cover, I use a pair of hemostats to grip the sticker and gently peal the sticker back and off. Keep blowing heat on it until you get the sticker all the way off. I don't always get all of the glue off this way, but I do get the sticker and most of the glue off.

I've had moderate success with placing a piece of parchment paper over the still warm glue and repeating the process to get most to all of the remaining glue off.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »
I hate stickers on my movie cases.  Some of them I can get off easy enough, but others are next to impossible.  I have a few I need to try to deal with now..I've just put it off.

The one store in the mall where I get some movies from will stick price tags on the slip covers..or sale stickers.  Sometimes those pull right off and others it has been horrible to get them off.  I hate that.

I got a few used ones from Blockbuster years and years ago...there is still sticker residue on those cases.   :redcard: 

I'm thinking I've had a few used ones that I've gotten that have had stickers on the actual cover art.  I hate that.

The Blockbuster went out of business here like 2 years ago.  I didn't make it in there in time to check for some stuff.  Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery have also closed up around here in the last few years.  A new store did open up in..hmm..December maybe that only sells used games, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays.  I haven't been in there yet.  I'll get there some day.

Fasteddie33

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
I REALLY hate stickers on my cases,so I ordered a bunch of new empty cases from checkoutstore.com...they are quality cases cheap and super fast shipping!!...If you dont want to buy new ones,a little trick is to pull off as much as you can,then use a little WD40 on a rag,wipe it over the sticker residue,let it sit for a minute then wipe it off and repeat until its all gone!!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »
yeah... I don't worry much when the sticker is on the keepcase. That is easily solved. I was just shocked to see stickers on the paper artwork this time. First time I ever seen it.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »
And I read that Pete has a new Pet Pete... :-[
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Rogmeister

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »
When I was a kid, we had a pair of beagles named Pete & Gladys.  They were named after a popular sitcom that Harry Morgan starred in...  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 02:23:15 PM »
I was just updating a profile... And seen something else I never seen before. Was working on...

Eye See You
A brutal serial killer is targeting cops, and detective Jake Malloy is on the warpath. But now the killer is making it personal, and this dedicated agent is twisted in an emotional nightmare. Time is running out, and so are the options as Malloy engages in an extreme game of cat-and-mouse with a killer who won't be stopped.

Sylvester Stallone leads an all star cast, including Tom Berenger (Training Day), Charles Dutton (A Time to Kill), Sean Patrick Flanery (The Boondock Saints), Robert Patrick (The X-Files), Jeffrey Wright (Shaft) and Kris Kristofferson (Blade II).

.. which has both Animorphic Widescreen as well as Pan & Scan on the one disc. Which I am fine with of course... it has the OAR on the disc so what more can you ask for? But this one was done differently then I ever seen before.

Both versions on one side of the disc. Yes... I have seen that before... you pop the disc in... hit play and it asks you Widescreen or Fullscreen. But this one is not done like that... on this one I hit play and just got the full screen version. I thought to myself... Damn another full screen only re-release?

Then I go into the set-up menu... and that is where they put the option! I felt relieved. But I just couldn't believe they had it default to Pan & Scan version instead of defaulting to the widescreen version! Is there really still that many people out there that prefer Pan & Scan over OAR!?!
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 02:32:32 PM »
I was trying to work out what that film was, but apparently it's D-Tox, which was released in the US 3 years later under this title. 3 years! And a crappily presented DVD by the sounds of it. Wow, Stallone couldn't even get arrested in his own country a few years back, eh?  :laugh: