Author Topic: Weather  (Read 20337 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Weather
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2011, 04:41:17 AM »
The weather can vary a lot in just a fairly short distance.  It takes me about 20 minutes to get to work most of the time...so about 15 miles I think.  Anyway, it isn't uncommon for the weather to be different there and at home.  It has been snowing basically all day..I do think there was more snow here at home then there was in town.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2011, 05:51:18 AM »
Yes, it's amazing how much "climate" is more important than the geographical position on the globe.

Taiwan is approx. 400km long (from north to south) and the weather differs greatly. Furthermore, Taiwan has the same distance to the equator as the sahara, yet it's very different weather to there as well :laugh:

Just like Boston (or was it even new York) are on a similar latitude as Rome, yet the weather couldn't be more different...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »
It is still snowing here. 
I'll see how it is in the morning.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:32 AM »
Post a photo. I would really like to see all this snow that everyone is talking about.

Photos from the Queensland floods

Halo2

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »
I used to live in Michigan, 100 mile north of Saginaw, right on the edge of Lake Huron. It was considered the "banana belt" of the state. We only got 20-30 feet of snow for the winter. It would dip down below freezing just before Thanksgiving and would stay below freezing until about Easter. I worked midnight shift and my job was outside. Oh the "fond" memories. I was in the military and got stationed at a lot of "garden" spots of the US. Kathy, remember the blizzard of 76? I was downstate of you in Rome, NY. 30 miles east of Syracuse and about 10 miles west of Utica. Also got to "enjoy" time in Spokane, Wa., Minot, ND. I did get to spend other times in warmer climates, Riverside, Ca., off the coast of South America (near Panama), Egypt, Saudi and Southeast Asia. Got to spend some short stays in Germany, England, Guam and El Passo, Texas. The latter in August, living in tents, simulating our later deployment to Saudi. And the wife wonders why I don't like traveling like I used to....

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
I don't have enough snow worthy of a picture. But, you might remember me telling you about going to my friend's to watch her dogs. They only live a few miles from my house and got the most snow in 24 hours since records were kept.

There was no snow on the ground until this storm. This picture truly doesn't illustrate how deep the show was because they snow plowed the driveway and cleaned the steps when they got back into town the next day. The snow was literally up to my chest as I walked up the driveway to get to the front door.

A few houses away 2 houses ended up being condemned as being unsafe to live in. The snow was so bad it took out sections of roof and moved the houses off their foundation.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2011, 03:51:16 AM »
Wow..that's a lot of snow.
There is just a few inches here.  It wasn't as bad this morning as I was afraid it would be.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2011, 04:02:12 AM »
Can't tell because of the drifting, but it looks like we got about 14" on top of the 6" that was already on the ground.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2011, 04:07:06 AM »
I saw on the news this morning that Connecticut was getting like 2 inches an hour over night..and it was still snowing that fast this morning.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2011, 04:25:48 AM »
Someone needs to rename this to thread to 'The Snow Thread'.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:43:11 AM by Dr. Hasslein »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2011, 04:33:02 AM »
I saw on the news this morning that Connecticut was getting like 2 inches an hour over night..and it was still snowing that fast this morning.

They got crushed, it looks like they got close to 22".

lyonsden5

« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »
Kathy, that picture you posted above is awesome! Well, awesome for me. Probably not so much for the person who has to shovel it!  :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
It's a bit old, but that was 3 years ago, March 2008. It was a crazy snow year here in Montreal.

That's the front of the house (with car for scale!) - have fun shoveling to the top of that pile!

That's the view of the street