Author Topic: Going to the Cinema By Yourself  (Read 2283 times)

Dr. Hasslein

Going to the Cinema By Yourself
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:34:56 AM »
Over the weekend I decided to go see a movie just by myself for once; which I haven't done since high school. Back then it felt painfully awkward and uncomfortable but doing it now I think this is something I could easy start doing regularly. Plus is was a baking hot day so it was nice to get out of the heat for a couple of hours and it wasn't over busy, probably only around 20 odd people there.

And the movie I saw was Unstoppable.

Rogmeister

Re: Going to the Cinema By Yourself
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:45:54 AM »
In the past, when I went I did usually go by myself.  Once in awhile I'd take my friend Norman with me but he passed away a decade ago.  My last trip by myself was in 2005 to see Flightplan with Jodie Foster.  When I have gone, I usually go for the matinee to save a few bucks...and the theaters are less crowded then as well (if I go on a weekday).  My last two theater visits (in 2007 and 2008) were done following heart surgery...especially the 2007 visit...so my brother and his wife went with me.  I have never really understood why people feel it odd to go alone.  After all, you can't really joke around much or you upset others who are trying to enjoy the movie.  Maybe when I go see True Grit, I'll talk back to the screen in my best John Wayne voice...you tell 'im, Pilgrim...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:54:25 AM »
When I was younger, I use to not want to go to the movies alone.  But I eventually started going by myself.  I still do, depending on the movie ..or if I want to see it opening day...like Harry Potter. :)

Last year I went alone to..let me think....maybe about 10.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:55:04 AM »
When I was a teenager I was quite paranoid and very self conscious about going out in public by myself. So the suggestion of going to see a movie on my own was out of the question apart from the odd occasion.

I don't think I've ever yelled out at screen, at home or the cinema. I'm quite well restrained, but I guess if I really wanted to I'd let the obscenities fly!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:58:19 AM »
I haven't really talked back to the screen before, but there have been a few times when I have sort of yelled...something really startled me in the movie..stuff like that.  I do get emotional at times - I believe I've mentioned that here before ;) - so sometimes I sort of talk to myself..going no no no if it looks like something bad is going to happen..someone maybe dying or something or something like that.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:04:21 AM »
 :laugh: I think that's quite normal Marie. The wife of a friend of mine is just like that, and his mum is ten times worse.

When I play video games, many of which are quite cinematic I talk back and swear like a bastard.  :-[

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 03:33:47 AM »
 :laugh:

I have been known to talk to my video games too....usually when the character isn't doing what I want it to.  My mom did that too when she tried to play one of the Mario games years ago...kept telling him to stop falling down the holes.   :laugh:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:06 AM »
:laugh: My mom did that too when she tried to play one of the Mario games years ago...kept telling him to stop falling down the holes.   :laugh:

Yeah that will work.  :hysterical:

Try spending hours shooting Nazis only to have them keep coming back time and time again. And the one that always manages to sneak up behind you just when you think you've got them beat.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:47:44 AM »

I know I've called characters in games stupid before...or said why won't you do what I want you to...never mind that I forgot which button did what...  it was all the game's fault. 

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:53:56 AM »

I know I've called characters in games stupid before...or said why won't you do what I want you to...never mind that I forgot which button did what...  it was all the game's fault. 

:laugh: Yeah you me both. But I've called game charaters names much stronger that stupid  :-[

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:57:31 AM »
I may have before a few times too. 

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:58:30 AM »
Anyway the next movie I plan on seeing is The King's Speech. But I'll have to drive at least an hour to be able to see it, because my local cinema is becoming notorious for not showing anything that isn't considered mainstream.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 04:25:52 AM »
The theater here has gotten better about showing more of the ones that aren't mainstream...Black Swan is playing now.  But a lot still don't get here.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 04:49:39 AM »
You're lucky. How big is the town you live in? Are you close to any major cities?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »
I don't live right in town...but it only takes me about 20 minutes to get to the theater...which is on the other end of town. 
There is only one theater here.
The town isn't huge..but decent size.  Less than 100,000 people I think.
I live about an hour from Columbus, the capital of the state.  I've gone there to see certain movies before.