Author Topic: Actor Discussion #1: Marisa Tomei  (Read 1838 times)

samuelrichardscott

Actor Discussion #1: Marisa Tomei
« on: December 24, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »

General opinions? Best performances? Worst performances?

samuelrichardscott

Re: Actor Discussion #1: Marisa Tomei
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
Well, I think she's one of the best actresses working today. Always seems to put in reliable performances and still surprises me with new movies (recently The Wrestler). I think for the most, she chooses her roles well (everyone is allowed a Wild Hogs in their filmography) and most of what I have seen her in I have enjoyed.

Her best choices (IMO):
- The Wrestler
- My Cousin Vinny
- Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Her worst choices (IMO):
- Wild Hogs
- The Watcher
- Oscar
(none of these are particular bad films, all rather mediocre, but should be left to more mediocre actresses)

Own but not seen:
- Animal Attraction
- Factotum
- Danika
- Only You
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 12:48:41 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »
I adore this woman. Probably my favourite actress when I consider personality, looks and ability, rather than purely the film she is in. I agree with your choices except to add In The Bedroom which might be her best. She was great in Crazy Stupid Love this year. The film itself was predictable but surprisingly better than I expected. Marisa only has a small party but she's bloody funny.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
While she's not my favorite actress I do admire her work and she has a knockout bod.  ;) I can excuse the few ill-advised silly roles she has had as the bulk of her work has been solid with some outstanding performances. She was great in My Cousin Vinny, Untamed Heart & Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.  Completely miscast in Oscar, Only You and Just A Kiss (that entire movie was horrific). I've heard she's great in The Wrestler but have yet to watch it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »
One of her lesser known movies but which one I enjoy very much is "Happy Accidents". A nice romantic comedy/drama with a time-travel twist.

One of my guilty pleasures is "Only You". I think she looks really adorable in this one. It's also the first movie I saw her in.
But I first knew her from the first season of "A Different World" (1987). She played the roommate of Denise Huxtable (Cosby Show).

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 12:52:16 AM »
I agree with your choices except to add In The Bedroom which might be her best.

I have seen this but need to do a rewatch at some point.

One of my guilty pleasures is "Only You". I think she looks really adorable in this one.

I also own this but not yet seen it. Didn't realise she was in it.

I've heard she's great in The Wrestler but have yet to watch it.

She is, and you definately need to watch it. Cracking film and Mickey Rourke is fantastic in it.

Just watched The Lincoln Lawyer, a surprisingly good film. Like with several films her role is small but quite important. Good performance as usual.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 02:03:43 AM »
I admit I never took notice of her before The Wrestler, but it also seems that I've only seen her in In the Bedroom before that.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 02:19:28 AM »
I only have her first movie on DVD, where she was still uncredited: The Toxic Avenger :laugh:

I am "aware" of Marisa Tomei, mostly through My Cousin Vinnie, which I have never seen. I couldn't have named any movie I have seen and she is in otherwise. :shrug: Quickly looking at her IMDb listing it would appear I have seen Oscar and Four Rooms, both rather mediocre films.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 07:43:13 AM »
I tend to like her.  She was really good in My Cousin Vinnie

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »
I usually like her when I see her in something.. but for some reason she isn't an actress I seek out movies for. Below is what titles I have her in... the ones in bold are the ones I have never seen yet.

- Anger Management
- A Different World: Season 1
- In the Bedroom
- Seinfeld: Season 7 Eps. 14,15
- The Toxic Avenger (uncredited)
- Watcher
- What a Woman Wants
- The Wrestler
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »
I usually like her when I see her in something.. but for some reason she isn't an actress I seek out movies for.

Not really surprising. Although she is my favourite actress, it's more of a crush.  ;) It is rare that she leads a film, even rarer that it would be a really good one that becomes a must-see whether she is in it or not. My favourite actress as someone I would seek a film out simply because she was in it would be Rachel Weisz.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »
She's made a few bad choices in her career, but she's a doll and I can't find fault with her because of that fact. There are many actresses that I would like to meet, but she is definitely at the top of the list.

Besides, any actress willing to meet George Costanza has to have a great sense of humor.  ;)