Author Topic: Happy New Year!  (Read 7908 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Happy New Year!
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 04:12:07 AM »
I was up pretty late watching Doctor Who...and I still have more to go.  My DVR is officially full...100% full.  Mostly with Doctor Who.
 :laugh:

Yes I know that makes me a geek.  But I don't care.

Najemikon

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »
I'm really pleased that you've clearly taken the Doctor to heart, especially over a marathon session!  :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »
How'a about a little more Doctor ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »
Yup. Katherine is wonderful. She has a great pair of... lungs...  :whistle:

RossRoy

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
Yup. Katherine is wonderful. She has a great pair of... lungs...  :whistle:

She has great pairs of lots of things! Eyes, legs, hands, arms ....  :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 01:06:18 AM »
I'm really pleased that you've clearly taken the Doctor to heart, especially over a marathon session!  :thumbup:

Oh I have.
There have been 2 or 3 episodes already that have made me cry..and I have a feeling another one coming up before too long for me will too.  Yes I'm an emotional wimp.  The last episode of season 2 was rough.
I think I'm close to the last episode of season 3..I think there are only 3 or 4 left..then the specials with Tennant..and then some of season 5.  So I should be all caught up, except for the first half of season 1 soon, and I just got the first season DVD set.  It probably won't be long before I watch that.

I did watch this other special that aired on Christmas..Doctor Who at the Prom or something like that.  It had music from the show, people dressed up like characters, and clips from episodes played too. 
Well one thing from that, for something that I haven't seen yet even got to me, so I know the episode it self will.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 01:14:42 AM »
After reading about your love affair with the good Dr Who...I might have to check this series out.

But, I need to know...are there subtitles?  :P 

Najemikon

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
Yes it definitely will get to you, Marie! I can think of two moments in particular, one so subtle... well it's incredible. They happened to repeat the episode today and it's indulgent but truly brilliant. Tenant is so nuanced, but it's how the other characters are used that will really seal the deal for you. Plus those final episodes do take an interesting path for the Doctor and he is astonishing in its delivery.

By the way, regards regeneration, to say it was merely a contrived device to extend the story way back in the first Who, they are very clever about making it the same, but different character. It does make the transition substantial.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 01:33:55 AM »
After reading about your love affair with the good Dr Who...I might have to check this series out.

But, I need to know...are there subtitles?  :P 

You really should Kathy.  It's a wonderful show. 
I haven't had trouble understanding the characters for the most part.  Every so often, there is a word or two I might not fully get, but that's about it.

And if you get hooked on it, you can blame Jon too. ;)

Yes it definitely will get to you, Marie! I can think of two moments in particular, one so subtle... well it's incredible. They happened to repeat the episode today and it's indulgent but truly brilliant. Tenant is so nuanced, but it's how the other characters are used that will really seal the deal for you. Plus those final episodes do take an interesting path for the Doctor and he is astonishing in its delivery.

By the way, regards regeneration, to say it was merely a contrived device to extend the story way back in the first Who, they are very clever about making it the same, but different character. It does make the transition substantial.

Tenant is wonderful as the Doctor.  There have been a few other subtle moments too that I think show just how much certain things - like basically always having to leave people behind..companions..friends - bother him.  He just gets this look sometime, and I think he's remembering someone ...in season 3, it is probably mostly Rose.  Even when the relationships are strictly friendship, it has still been hard on him to keep going.   

The regeneration has worked very well for the show I think.  The differences help to keep the show interesting, but at the same time...there is sadness there because he's changing.  And not just in looks.  The main ...hmm...attitudes I guess you could are the same - he tries to help people and avoid wars..stuff like that.  But little things will be different.  I have seen episodes with all 3 of the Doctors since the show restarted and I like all of them, but they are all slightly different.  Tenant is my favorite.

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 01:38:51 AM »
Tenant is my favourite too. Matt Smith seems to have brought an old fashioned angle to the character again, which is very welcome. One of his episodes - The Lodger- could be my favourite self contained story of all the series.

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 01:40:02 AM »
Has Kathy been assimilated yet? :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 01:47:08 AM »
Tenant is my favourite too. Matt Smith seems to have brought an old fashioned angle to the character again, which is very welcome. One of his episodes - The Lodger- could be my favourite self contained story of all the series.

I saw The Lodger a few weeks ago.  That one was good.
I thought The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang were good episodes too.  Interesting way to end the season.

And I adored the Christmas Carol episode.  That is one of my favorite versions of the story...it has the heart of the classic story, but it is tweaked and changed around so that it fits in perfectly with Doctor Who.

RossRoy

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 02:14:50 AM »
One of his episodes - The Lodger- could be my favourite self contained story of all the series.

(click to show/hide)

Marie, if you're an "emotional wimp", that last special with David Tennant, End of Time, will definitely totally get to you. I think I know what subtle moment Jon is talking about. It is subtle, but so powerful.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 02:36:41 AM »
Yup..that's The Lodger.

I am already expecting the last special with Tenant to get to me.

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 03:19:38 AM »
You know, overall I think series 5 might be the best. Not so much individual episodes, characters, etc, but the way each episode welded together and then the way the finale could step back through. Beautifully written. And Smith was definitely in his stride by the end. Another reason I liked The Lodger is that it was the first time I felt he'd done a story that wouldn't have worked with Tennant and I felt the same at the end. Loved the bit with the Fez and the mop! :hysterical:

Marie, if you're an "emotional wimp", that last special with David Tennant, End of Time, will definitely totally get to you. I think I know what subtle moment Jon is talking about. It is subtle, but so powerful.

;)