Author Topic: Door Knockers!  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Door Knockers!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 10:08:56 AM »
Thankfully people don't show up at the door here that often.  Jehovah's Witnesses have been here a couple of times..last time was like 10 years ago. 

I don't really have a problem with religion, but I certainly don't want people trying to shove their beliefs down my throat like some do. 

If I don't know who is at the door - or if I can't safely peek out and see who it is without being spotted - I don't open the door.  There are too many criminal types anymore who will come up with all sorts of legitimate sounding reasons for being at your house.  I just feel safer by not answering the door. 

When I was like 7 or 8, I was home alone for a while.  My step father at the time was in and out that day.  We lived in a trailer park and he was doing work for the owner of the park.  Anyway, some jerk got annoyed with him and showed up when I was there alone.  I think the guy might have been drunk.  He was pounding on the door and swearing up a storm.  I could clearly hear him from inside and there was no way I was opening the door.  He then went on to bust out the windshield on my step dad's truck.  That incident is part of why I don't open the door if I don't know who is out there.  Also, I may have seen too many movies...something that probably doesn't help my fear of elevators either.   :laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »
I live near three churches and we get people like this alot... I personally am not religious and usually just say "im going out soon" or "im eating my dinner" and they go.

Critter

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »
Also, I may have seen too many movies...something that probably doesn't help my fear of elevators either.   :laugh:

This is a fear that we share.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
I look out and see who is at my door. If it a stranger, I pop my head out, smile and say that I'm not interested. I then go inside and forget about it.

hal9g

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 06:02:46 PM »
You can always lie and tell them you are a devout (pick whatever religion you like) and attend church 4 or 5 times a week.  Then ask them if they would like to go with you for enlightenment!

Whenever the Jehovah's Witness folks come around, I tell them I  would love to talk to them, but I'm already late getting to church!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:04:21 PM by Hal »

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »
I've had them a few times. I haven't any patience for them, especially when they are condescending.

"We're here to talk to you about Jesus Christ... you do know who he is, don't you?", said one while his mate grinned like a prat. I said I thought he might be the old bloke who lived three doors down and they should try there. ::)

Then another pair stopped me in the street. I told them it wouldn't be appropriate as I was a Satanist and they were welcome to pop round and take a look at my pentagram! :P

I did like what a client told me years ago. We were installing a large network for him and got to know him quite well. He said he and a cousin trained as priests years before, but they finally came to feel they didn't believe it and so left. However, in the meantime they had learnt the Bible, cover to cover, back to front and upside down. Now they like to tease the Jehovah's Witnesses and say, that in their experience, the door knockers have no idea what they are talking about. He likes to have lengthy discussions with them and usually demolishes their ramblings in no time because they have no sense of context.

That's the best way to deal with them otherwise you get caught up in their nonsense.

Sophie, are you sure your Australian? ;) Asking them to come back next week doesn't sound quite right...  ;D

Seriously not for the easily offended!

Fasteddie33

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 11:31:18 PM »
I love it when sales people call me...I will lead them on and on and then when they ask me for my info,I pull a Seinfeld on them and ask for their number,so I can call and bug them at their house!!

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
When I'm on my own schedule (I'm mostly working at home), my day usually starts in the late afternoon and ends in the morning and I sleep through the day. No idea if someone knocked at the door during that time.  :)
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 11:51:02 PM »
You can always lie and tell them you are a devout (pick whatever religion you like) and attend church 4 or 5 times a week.  Then ask them if they would like to go with you for enlightenment!

Haha, one of my friends said I should have told them I was devout Islam to scare them off.  :laugh:

Sophie, are you sure your Australian? ;) Asking them to come back next week doesn't sound quite right...  ;D

It will be interesting to see if they do come back or not, I certainly won't be answering the door, nor will anyone else in the house.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 12:29:18 AM »
Concerning phone calls, I am on the "no call list" when it comes to trying to sell me something, and I actually don't mind when people call me for general survey purposes (in fact, during one that has a bunch of questions which meant the person had to do a lot of reading, I actually stopped for a bit and just talked to her to give her a break. She appreciated that.)

Where it bugs me is that the local police and fire departments are exempt from the no call list, and they have been calling more and more regularly wanting donations for fallen officers fund, policeman's ball funds, so on and so forth. Even when I am willing to make donations, I am not going to do it over the phone to some random person who claims to be from one of the local businesses yet shows up as "Unknown Caller" on my Caller ID.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 12:56:34 AM »
I can't stand cold callers. I had someone ring the bell a couple of weeks ago. It was freezing, I'd just got in from work and he wanted me to join a monthly paid charity for terminally ill children. A noble cause and hey, I do give to charity. But...

I interrupted him immediately and said, look, I'm not interested, I'm not going to stand here for ten minutes letting all the warmth out, it's cold, please leave, thank you. He said he could come in and I said no, again!

He replied, "you're not interested in helping dying children?" (that was the last straw!)

I said no, I'm going back in. All credit to him, his last line was a killer considering the weather and that I was politely telling him to sod off: "Damn! That is cold!"  :hysterical:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »
Jon - I wish I could miniaturize you and keep you in a little box. Then, whenever I needed a good laugh, quick retort or even a movie review...I could bring you out to take care of business.  :laugh:

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 08:25:25 AM »
Now introducing....

Mini-Jon!

Keep it in your pocket. Carry it in your purse. Or just set it on your desk and get ready for hours of entertainment!

It's the latest craze! All kids love Mini-Jon!
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 08:30:21 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »
Now introducing....

Mini-Jon!

Keep it in your pocket. Carry it in your purse. Or just set it on your desk and get ready for hours of entertainment!

It's the latest craze! All kids love Mini-Jon!

:laugh:

Yep, I want one! But, do they come with subtitles?!?