Author Topic: eBay sellers...  (Read 1652 times)

Fasteddie33

eBay sellers...
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:08 AM »
So,I finaly got my DVD of "Planet 9 from Outer Space" off of eBay..Everything looked great from the outside of the package,original cover and all..until I opened it up and discovered it was a DVD-R!!!...The ad said Brand new!!....Meanwhile, I asked the seller whats up with that and he replies
"Its a brand new copy"....what a jerk!!  :thumbdown:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: eBay sellers...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
Do a complaint trought Paypal (you probably used it) and you will have the last laugh. Even funier report him to the company that released the dvd, sometimes they like to know when their stuffs are bootleg (something I know since I track illegal copy for some companies). When a company is big sometimes the law get involved and one idiot is eradicated.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
I had a similar problem a while ago and solved it via the carrot and stick method. I first asked the seller to refund the payment and told him that I would otherwise file a complaint with Paypal and would leave negative feedback on eBay. The seller replied with the usual "no it's an original" crap, but agreed to refund if I would send the item back. I told him that it would be illegal for me to send back pirated copies by mail and once again pointed out to him that it would be less hassle for both of us if he refunded my money and I then ignored the transaction without filing a complaint and leaving negative feedback. In my case that did work and I got my money back. The reason for trying to solve it outside the regular complaint process is that a complaint requires you to prove to Paypal you've been sold a pirated copy and that can get tricky.
Matthias

Fasteddie33

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Good advice guy,thanks!!

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »
I have nothing to add that hasn't been said... and yea, the more you buy the more chances of something like this happening, though people who actually care about their eBay reputation care about helping you even if it wasn't what you were expecting.

I've only had one eBay problem that was recently. I bought a DVD and a week or so passed without any notification that the item was sent, so I contacted the seller. Looking back through his history, he'd canceled dozens of orders all of a sudden, and I think his reason was something to do with the place he was shipping them from.

At any rate, he quickly refunded my money without any discussion or delays, but it took me contacting him for him to get around to doing so.

It's also important to be sure and read the descriptions very carefully:

:slaphead:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
It's also important to be sure and read the descriptions very carefully:

:slaphead:

I agree that it's the buyer's fault for not reading the description... BUT that's borderline fraud and these should be banned outright.

That's my opinion. And as I like to say, everybody is entitled to my opinion ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:11:16 AM »
I agree that it's the buyer's fault for not reading the description... BUT that's borderline fraud and these should be banned outright.

That's my opinion. And as I like to say, everybody is entitled to my opinion ;)
But you also gotta worry about the people actually bidding this up to $200  :hysterical:

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »
 :laugh: Exactly.

Not that I'm saying what he did was ethical. This was one of 100 copycat auctions going on around that time, basically misleading with direct facts. At no place does he lie about anything, and in fact it is mentioned in the header once and the description more than once that it is the box only and that the game system is in no way included. Nonetheless, he set it up as three-day auction at a time when people were really trying to get their hands on the item making it less likely to be reported.

The fact that one person misread and clicked is one thing, but there were 40 bids in all. . . and go figure it was eventually won by a newcomer (only 3 points). From a buyer standpoint, that's like being double-screwed.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:49:23 AM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.