Author Topic: What Did You Get for Christmas?  (Read 17891 times)

Critter

Re: What Did You Get for Christmas?
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 03:29:21 AM »
I don't shop in the ABC shop that often, but when I said those Dr Who DVD prices were insane I was talking about JB HI FI.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 03:34:19 AM »
Oh I know Sophie...Doctor Who - or any BBC show really it seems..at least the ones I've looked at - are expensive.  Right now, the first season is $43.99 on sale at Amazon.  More than I normally pay for a tv show..but I love Doctor Who.  So. 

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 03:40:58 AM »
Wow, for a single season that's insane! Do you have a amazon member's card? Maybe that can get you a discount.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »
I use the Prime thing so I get free 2 day shipping..that's it.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2010, 03:54:01 AM »
I would love to be able to get a member's card. But you have to be a citizen of the U.S.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2010, 04:00:59 AM »
Well I ordered the first season.  The money I got from grandpa will cover it.  I'll pick up the other sets later.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2010, 04:04:25 AM »
You should have waited until boxing day, maybe they'll have some specials.

Critter

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2010, 04:06:51 AM »
Kevin I just checked on the JB-HI-FI website. 'DOCTOR WHO (Series 4) (6 DVD Set)' is currently $64.98 and that's actually cheaper than some of them. As far as Doctor Who goes though that's around the standard year-round price. Sometimes it can be up in the 90's, it's insane. Even on sale they aren't much better. In fact Doctor Who season 5 at the moment is $80.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 04:08:10 AM »
I'm glad I'm not a fan then.  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2010, 04:20:54 AM »
I suggested to Marie the other day that BBC DVDs do generally hold their price even here and it might be because they are publicly funded and so can't be seen to be competitive as that would have a conflict of interest, etc. I suppose I could argue that if I were able to buy Dr Who very cheap then clearly they are doing so well they don't need my licence fee!  :laugh: Another reason could be that rival distributors could cry foul if the BBC made an effort to undercut them.

Basically they have to demonstrate they are getting value for money and if that means fleecing yanks and Aussies, then so be it. This Empire wasn't built with bargain bins, by Jove!  :devil:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 04:40:07 AM »
I suggested to Marie the other day that BBC DVDs do generally hold their price even here and it might be because they are publicly funded and so can't be seen to be competitive as that would have a conflict of interest, etc. I suppose I could argue that if I were able to buy Dr Who very cheap then clearly they are doing so well they don't need my licence fee!  :laugh: Another reason could be that rival distributors could cry foul if the BBC made an effort to undercut them.

Basically they have to demonstrate they are getting value for money and if that means fleecing yanks and Aussies, then so be it. This Empire wasn't built with bargain bins, by Jove!  :devil:

Well I am loving the show...so I will make the scrafice ..and since I have started, it is only a matter of time before I have all the sets.

Critter

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2010, 05:17:13 AM »
I caught up with a good friend of mine for lunch today and she gave me the coolest Christmas present!

A print of one of the storyboards from the original Toy Story movie! (Which I will be getting framed)

And even the card was cool, more Pixar storyboard, this time from the short 'Knick Knack'.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2010, 05:27:08 AM »
Those are great, Sophie!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 08:31:20 AM »
Wow...those are wonderful.

Critter

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2010, 09:34:34 AM »
I love them so much! Also I find the Kick-Knack one interesting. Those stickers that you see on it weren't added on or anything, they are actually a part of the storyboard. They have a 'Notes' section and then in that they have a gold star sticker. I would love to know the meaning of that being there.