Author Topic: What Magazines Do You Subscribe To?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
Re: What Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »
The last magazines I subscribed to were Nintendo Power and 3-2-1 Contact, :laugh:  I've never subscribed to a newspaper.

I saved all of the NP magazines for a while because of codes and tricks that they had inside. I don't remember what made me decide to throw them away (I didn't tear out the important stuff, I just threw everything out.) The only article I recall from the magazine (which was in one of the last before I canceled) related to the introduction of Noob Saibot in Mortal Kombat II. A guy was playing the game in his local arcade and he beat the character was fighting. Instead of the level ending, his power went back to full, some message appeared to warn that the battle was not over, and he stated this new, unknown character appeared on the screen and easily kicked the guy's butt. A friend happened to have a camera with him and took a picture of the "Noob Saibot wins" screen.

3-2-1 Contact was a kid's magazine was a children's magazine containing typical stuff about sports stars, nature, a few puzzles, and so on. The main interesting detail for me was a small program written in BASIC -- a language I had learned surprisingly quickly given my ages and computers being new to the home. All of the programs were reader-submitted. One of mine got published, but I wrote so many things back then I have no idea which one it was.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »
Can anyone still remember the time when "CHIP" in fact was a computer magazine?? Stopped reading it years ago, but liked it until the mid 90's

I remember reading it sometimes in the library. But as far as I remember, I never bought it myself. Maybe once or twice. It must also have been around mid 90s.

Fasteddie33

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »
Im subscribed to-

5.0 Mustang Magazine
Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords
Rod and Custom

Is there any magazines for movie collectors??

Rogmeister

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 01:40:31 AM »
I used to get a couple publications for movie collectors.  Movie Collector's World is still around, I believe.  There was also one called The Big Reel.  Both are in the form of tabloid=format newspapers.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 03:33:31 AM »
I used to be subscribed to cinema (a German movie magazine) and Fangoria (which they indeed ship internationally).

I now only read magazines when on an airplane going to Germany or back.

Fasteddie33

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 03:36:22 AM »
I also used to subscribe to Fangoria,but they are just too exspensive now...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 03:45:41 AM »
I also used to subscribe to Fangoria,but they are just too exspensive now...
There was a rumor they might put out an iPad app. I might subscribe to that, just for kicks. If it ever gets released, since the first rumored release date has come and gone (Halloween 2010).

Fasteddie33

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 04:01:04 AM »
Wow,that would be cool!!....Keep me in the loop if you hear of anything!!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »
Wow,that would be cool!!....Keep me in the loop if you hear of anything!!
Just checked again, after quite some time, and apparently the Fangoria iPad/iPhone app was released on April 22. And, I found that a digital version of Famous Monsters of Filmland is available as well ;D

Fangoria
Famous Monsters of Filmland

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
Currently:
Fangoria
Home Cinema Choice
What Home Cinema
Empire (though nearly cancelled a couple of years back when it went downhill for a bit)
Sight and Sound

Used to subscribe and be a hardcore reader of the best movie magazine to ever grace the UK, "Hotdog". They've been defunct for years now though.

Rogmeister

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 11:09:15 PM »
I used to read American Cinematographer...I think that's the correct title...it went into detail on special effects for films and such. I probably read it during the 1970s.  I don't know if it's still around.  I'd like to find another good movie magazine. 

Najemikon

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 01:48:49 AM »
I've just subscribed to Sight And Sound, but they're dragging their feet to send me the first one. The gits.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 04:26:12 AM »
I've just subscribed to Sight And Sound, but they're dragging their feet to send me the first one. The gits.
Not sure why, but the title reminded me of a movie magazine I used to read for a while. It came out bi-monthly only, I think, or even more irregular like that, and would concentrate on the slightly more obscure film makers, like David Cronenberg (I think he had just made The Fly) at the time. It was printed on good thick but not glossy paper. The cover would be mainly white with a black and white photo on it; all pictures inside were black and white too. That wa a great magazine, although at the time I hardly knew the films they wrote about :laugh: (To be clear, this was a German magazine)

I just downloaded the first issue if Fangoria into my iPad and it looks like a good format o read it in. It must have been 15 years since I last read Fangoria...

Rogmeister

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 10:44:34 PM »
I used to subscribe to a small independent magazine called Western Clippings.  It obviously dealt with westerns with emphasis on low budget films.  My sub ran out about a year and a half ago but I finally sent in for a new subscription last week.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 11:36:56 PM »
None.

The last subscription that I remember was to Nintendo Power . . . how many years ago? :laugh:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.