Author Topic: What Magazines Do You Subscribe To?  (Read 3130 times)

Rogmeister

What Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:06:52 PM »
Once upon a time, I subscribed to over 20 magazines (believe it or not).  I think I actually was subscribing to no less than 10 video game magazines at one time.  For several years I've had no subscriptions at all but I have recently started a half-dozen new ones...I haven't received my first issues of all of them yet but will list them below.  I wonder what the best movie magazines in America are?  I used to like Premiere but it folded several years ago.  I think it still had a website for awhile.  I wonder if that's still around?  Here is what I have coming...

Comics Buyer's Guide and Alter Ego are both magazines devoted to comic books.  Alter Ego specializes in comics of the Golden and Silver Ages of comics (1940s and 1960s).  Highly regarded comic book writer Roy Thomas is the editor of Alter Ego.  Comics Buyer's Guide covers both the new comics (with lots of reviews) as well as columns dealing with comics of the past.  Comic writer Peter David has a regular column and they always have a comics pro pick his/her 10 favorite comic book covers each issue.

Cat Fancy is a magazine about cats (d'uh).

Baseball Digest is about baseball (double-d'uh).  When I read this before, it was a digest-sized monthly magazine.  Now it's bi-monthly but full-sized.

Entertainment Weekly covers various aspects of entertainment weekly with reviews of movies, TV shows, DVDs, music and books.  I just got my first issue of this subscription with a cover interview with Reese Witherspoon.

TV Guide was digest-sized for decades and became magazine sized 3-5 years ago.  I don't care for it as much but I like leafing through it from time to time.

My favorite kind of music is country music so I'd subscribe to Country Weekly if it weren't so expensive.  They only take off $1 per issue by subscription so a year's worth of this is about $103.  Maybe I'll add a videogaming subscription soon?  Maybe an all-Playstation magazine... :gamer:

hal9g

Re: What Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
Astronomy Magazine
Golf Digest

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »
Der Spiegel (News magazine)
c't (general computer magazine)
iX (IT-professional computer magazine)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
I don't read many magazines.

I've never started to read a daily newspaper, when I weas old enough to actually consider it the internet had already become a daily medium.

I still read the weekly DER SPIEGEL because it has articles with deeper analysises that go beyond an extended newsticker news - which is all newspapers and news websites seem to be able to do nowadays.

I also still read the c't, a biweekly (Does this mean twice a week or every 14 days? I mean every fourteen days.) computer magazine but I'm losing more and more interest because it's becoming like all the other computer magazines out there: A constant rotation between printer tests, monitor tests, digital camera tests and other crap tests.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:58:05 PM »
Currently I have subscribed to "Der Spiegel", but I don't like it and will cancel it soon.

At work some magazines make the rounds and I have "subscribed" to c't and iX. Personally I wouldn't pay for either of those.

In the past I had subscribed to "PC Player" from 1994-1998 (at its prime it was considered the best German gaming magazine), but I cancelled it when it lost more and more on quality. Especially because my favorite editors have all left the magazine.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:25:31 AM »
Entertainment Weekly is the only one I get.  I like it. 
I've looked at the site for Empire...I think I would like that one, but it is more expensive.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:45:01 AM »
I also still read the c't, a biweekly (Does this mean twice a week or every 14 days? I mean every fourteen days.) computer magazine but I'm losing more and more interest because it's becoming like all the other computer magazines out there: A constant rotation between printer tests, monitor tests, digital camera tests and other crap tests.
Agreed!
Try iX (from Heise too) instead. They are still trying to keep up the old spirit.

Can anyone still remember the time when "CHIP" in fact was a computer magazine?? Stopped reading it years ago, but liked it until the mid 90's

Rogmeister

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 02:01:51 AM »
Karsten, you are correct.  Something published every other week is referred to as bi-weekly.  If it is published twice a week, the correct term is semi-weekly.  I learned this from my comic book reading days.  ;D  Is Empire a British entertainment magazine?  I think I may have picked up a few issues of that in years past when I used to frequent a large bookstore up in the Pittsburgh area which did get some magazines from overseas.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:36:12 AM »
I've been subscribed to Empire for years now. It's my bible! I think there is an American edition but it is a British film magazine.

I also get 2000ad and the Megazine, PC Pro which is a computer mag, and PC Gamer. That was an automatic replacement for the sadly defunct PC Zone.

Critter

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 02:47:41 AM »
I was subscribed to the Australia edition of Empire magazine for two years but I stopped it. At the moment I am not subscribed to any magazine but there are about 5 or 6 different magazines that I buy in store every now and then. I am thinking of  subscribing to one of them but I'm finding it hard to choose which one.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:32 AM »
I collected empire magazine close to eight years but never officially subscribed.

Rogmeister

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 06:18:16 AM »
I've been subscribed to Empire for years now. It's my bible! I think there is an American edition but it is a British film magazine.

I also get 2000ad and the Megazine, PC Pro which is a computer mag, and PC Gamer. That was an automatic replacement for the sadly defunct PC Zone.

I went to Amazon.com and checked...there is no American edition of Empire.  They do list the British and Australian editions but to get either would be over $130 a year.  I couldn't really find any other movie magazines that looked interesting.  I pickedf up a few issues of PC Gamer back in my video game magazine reading days...but I never got it regularly since I never had a computer powerful enough to use as a gaming machine.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 06:42:37 AM »
I haven't been able to find a US version of Empire...I've looked.  I'd probably get it if I could find a US version.  When I looked again earlier, it would be like $170 for a one year subscription.
I did try to find it in the bookstore here...I swear I saw it in there before, but no luck.  It seems like they mostly just have teen magazines and wrestling magazines.

I don't know of anywhere else to check for Empire around here.  I would like to check it out...but $170 a year is a tad steep.

Critter

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 07:02:57 AM »
Magazines that I buy in-store at the moment (not every month, just whenever I feel like it)

Empire
Neo (anime&manga mag)
Official Playstation Magazine
PLAY
ImagineFX (Digital Painting Mag)
3D World
Digital Artist
SFX

Okay, now I have to pick just one to subscribe to.   :hmmmm:

kahless

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 09:01:47 AM »
Der Spiegel (News magazine) - subscribed for about 30 years!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:04:06 AM by kahless »