Author Topic: Cinema vs Theatre  (Read 4667 times)

Critter

Cinema vs Theatre
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:49:31 AM »
Something that I have noticed on this forum is that while myself and other Australians will always say 'going to the cinema to see a movie' all the American's always refer to it as 'theatre'. I find this very cool, just another great thing about talking to people from other countries as all the differences become evident. Over here you say 'cinema' when referring to films. And 'theatre' when reffering to stage plays, musicals, broadway shows etc. It's sort of a definition between the two types of venues. The first few times I saw it I did a double take, thinking you were all avid stage-theatre goers haha.

So what about the others? Which one is it in your country? Does the definition between the two ever get confusing in the US? Or do you just say 'movie theatre' and 'stage theatre' or something like that to define them?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:59:30 AM by Critter »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cinema vs Theatre
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:05:26 AM »
I always go to the movies to see a movie!  :laugh:

Theater to me is seeing actors in a live performance.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 02:07:45 AM »

Yep, that's how I define Theater.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:17:37 AM »
Hmm..I guess I haven't thought about it that much.  I don't go to live shows often, so maybe that's why.  I've said going to the movies before..or movie theater.  I call it a movie theater ...I've mentioned the theater in town in reviews a few times.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »

Mmm I often say going to the movies as well. I always say going to the movies or going to the cinema to see a film. And like you the word 'theatre' for me is only used when talking about plays or seeing a show like a comedian where the people are right in front of me on a stage.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:22:15 AM »
I like this thread. The Cinema vs Theatre thing is like Candy vs Lollies or Mall vs Shopping Center/Complex.
Most Americans would say 'I'm going to the mall'. Where as most Australians would just the name of that particular shopping center, 'I'm going to Chadstone' or Fountain Gate etc.

Critter

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:32:27 AM »
I like this thread. The Cinema vs Theatre thing is like Candy vs Lollies or Mall vs Shopping Center/Complex.
Most Americans would say 'I'm going to the mall'. Where as most Australians would just the name of that particular shopping center, 'I'm going to Chadstone' or Fountain Gate etc.
:laugh:

And then we would go even further and only mention the nickname of that particular shopping centre. 'I'm going to Chaddy'  ;)

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 02:35:01 AM »
:laugh:

And then we would go even further and only mention the nickname of that particular shopping centre. 'I'm going to Chaddy'  ;)

It's funny, I've never once said Chaddy. I'm not really a fan of that nickname. My local shopping center is called Mid Valley. Most people call it Mad Valley. Except for me of course lol.

Critter

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 02:38:48 AM »
Ha, in Geelong it's a bit different. We all just simply say 'I'm going to town' Here town refers to the centre of Geelong where all the different shopping centres are. It's been like that since I was born, I don't know why but that's just the way we say it. Like 'I'll meet you in town later' or 'I need to go pick up something in town'.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 02:41:24 AM »
I can't really say that being that I live pretty much in town.
Do you live on the outskirts of Geelong? I have an uncle that lives in one of the suburbs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:44:54 AM by Dr. Hasslein »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 02:46:04 AM »
I use all three above mentioned terms, depending on the situation and who I talk to.

In German:

Kino = cinema (watch films)
Theater = theatre/theater (watch stage play)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 02:47:49 AM »
But in German you also have Filmtheater and Filmbühne.
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 02:51:14 AM »
Do you live on the outskirts of Geelong? I have an uncle that lives in one of the suburbs.

I sort of live on the edge of Geelong. Which suburb does your uncle live in?

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 02:56:14 AM »

I sort of live on the edge of Geelong. Which suburb does your uncle live in?

I have no idea, I haven't seen him in years.

Critter

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 02:57:25 AM »
Understandable. Nice day today isn't it? I'm about to head off the archery and I'm worried I might get sunburnt. I haven't had to worry about something like sunburn for a looong time.