Author Topic: A forgotten gem  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
A forgotten gem
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:49:56 PM »
We've been discussing the films of Walter Hill over at the Filmspotters forum, and someone brought up this great film from the 80's.

Jon, with your love of comic book type films, I think you'd really like this, if you haven't already seen it. As I stated during the discussion we're having over there, it's the film Sin City tried to be.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: A forgotten gem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:31:56 PM »
I could be entirely wrong, but the clip makes it look like countless other '80s action movies (and I honestly don't remember if I've seen this particular one). Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, those can be fun to watch every once in a while. Sin City on the other hand (and I hate to defend it) has at least an air of originality.
Matthias

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
It was more a comic book action film, and I really can't remember another film that went for that angle back in the 80's.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:30:11 AM »
I haven't seen it, but I definitely see what you mean. Matthias is right, it's clearly an action film of its time, but Walter Hill always had a certain style and I like the look of it.

You have to be careful about Sin City, because that was based very faithfully on a comic series that had a certain agenda. It achieved what it set out to do very successfully. I'm just not sure it needed to be achieved even in the book!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 05:35:20 AM »
I think the Walter Hill film that fits that description even better (comic-book-style, etc.) would be The Warriors to me. I haven't seen Streets on Fire (and can't watch the trailer here at work), but The Warriors has it's own distinct style, which is not what matthias had to say about Street on Fire.