Author Topic: Children's Books by Alexander Volkov  (Read 972 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Children's Books by Alexander Volkov
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:29:17 AM »
Hi,

and now for something completely different: While browsing Wikipedia I stumbled upon an info I wanted to share with those of you who have children or grandchildren of their own.

When I grew up one of my favourite stories was the one of the Zauberland (Magic Land) where a little girl from Kansas has adventures with a scarecrow, a metal man and a lion.

Sounds familiar? Of course it does. It's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

In 1939 the russian author Alexander Volkov wrote what we movie fans would call a remake of that story called The Wizard of the Emerald City. There are a few story changes and the characters have different (albeit still english) names, but it's essentially the same story.

I didn't know that it was a remake when I grew up and I still don't care.

What does it make different though is the fact that Volkov wrote 5 sequels where Ellie (i.e. Dorothy) returns to the Magic Land and has continued adventures.

Now why am I bringing that up? Because I discovered that these books have been released in english. They're called "Tales of Magic Land" part 1 to 3, containing 2 of the original books each.

And I still think that it's such a wonderful story that kids can still enjoy it today even though they might already know The Wizard of Oz.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:01:28 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Books by Alexander Volkov
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »
I had three or four of those books when I was a kid and I loved them! I read the first one ("Der Zauberer der Smaragdenstadt", translates to "The Wizard of the Emeral City") several times over. Obviously I read the German version. The illustrations had a very endearing style as well.