Author Topic: Oh no! I've been warned!  (Read 2164 times)

Critter

Re: Oh no! I've been warned!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 11:57:53 PM »
I completely see where Michael is coming from as far as owners losing control go. It may not be a forum or a blog, but a while ago I created a chat room. Once many people started using the chatroom I all but lost control of it. The admins I selected kept making decisions without consulting me at all and in the end my say meant next to nothing. I don't even go there anymore, in the end I just let them have it.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 01:19:40 AM »
New posters rarely read the rules and just assume the basic etiquette rules while then following the flow of the crowd on how ot do the rest.

While that means that the majority can take over, the owner doesn't have to allow it without making it sound like such a bad thing... particularly if the forum has something to offer
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 05:16:43 PM »
I'm on the fence between relinquishing control to the users or maintaining identity. You have to let a forum become what it is naturally, but at the same time you need to protect the reason you made it in the first place.

We have no rules here, but at the same time, if it became a forum devoted to rap music and football overnight, I'd be disappointed Karsten didn't put his foot down and encourage the users to go back to movie talk.

In my specific example, I was a very laid back host, but my intention was a for a general forum where anyone was welcome. This guy had already driven a couple of users away with overly political and racial musings. That post was the only one I removed and I did so because it was deeply offensive. If I left it, then the forum was instantly unwelcome to a huge portion of people. The fact was, he was nothing more than a troll spammer, but unfortunately, other members had a really screwed up idea of free speech.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 10:51:24 PM »
No need to defend yourself.
I'm quite sure that your action was well thought-out.

My comment was meant more as a general reply from the user side, your message just induced it.