Author Topic: End of an era...  (Read 896 times)

Najemikon

End of an era...
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »
...as one of the world's finest jets is retired due to budget cuts. It was a sad sight to see the truly magnificent Harrier Jump Jet say its goodbyes today.  :weep:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11996936

Top Gear can be silly, but this is a fine demonstration: :laugh:

If you were the pilot doing this final bow -literally- what would the urge to have gone "Top Gun" have been like? Give it the beans a final time, blast the air tower and roar off into the sunset! Bit overcast, I know, but you understand...  :-[

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/8204103/Bowing-out-last-flight-of-the-Harrier-jump-jet.html

Dr. Hasslein

Re: End of an era...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:39:04 AM »
The Harrier Jump Jet, a fine air craft. We'll never forget the movie True Lies because of it.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:17 AM »
Yes it's sad, but even sadder is the de-commissioning of the Ark Royal. You've had a ship bearing that name for centuries. With the legacy of the British navy, this has to sting a lot more.

We'll never forget the movie True Lies because of it.

And we'll never forget Sink the Bismarck! because of the Ark Royal

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:00:43 AM »
Not so sad about Ark Royal, but yes, that did sting too. The reason I say not so sad is I could understand the logic behind streamlining the Navy. I can't understand this. There's nothing quite like the Harrier and it's not as if it wasn't doing its job.

But lets be right. "Not so sad" in the same context of choosing which of my legs I don't mind you hacking off with a rusty butter knife. Honestly, I'd like to keep both if you don't mind...

It's like Concorde all over again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:03:06 AM by Jon »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »
Not so sad about Ark Royal, but yes, that did sting too. The reason I say not so sad is I could understand the logic behind streamlining the Navy.

But at least rename a cruiser, you've had a ship by the name of Ark Royal since the days of the Armada.

It would be like the U.S. scrapping the Enterprise.