Author Topic: For those who wish...  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
For those who wish...
« on: October 19, 2010, 12:16:50 AM »
...to learn a little about the films of Akira Kurosawa, check out this site.

Some very interesting articles for the Kurosawa novice.

Najemikon

Re: For those who wish...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:10:49 AM »
Ooh, nicely done! :thumbup:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:10:29 AM »
I'm curious about their thoughts of The Bad Sleep Well (1960) which I guess will be talked about in the coming days. That is the only Kurosawa movie I currently have, The Criterion Collection edition.  Haven't watched it yet...  :-[

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:21:58 AM »
It's a very good film, but if it's your introduction to Kurosawa, it may be the wrong choice.

For someone who has never seen a Kurosawa film, I would recommend Yojimbo, The Hidden Fortress or High and Low as beginning points. The two former are great examples of Japanese jidai-geki, while the latter is a superb crime drama. Each is very entertaining and approachable for the newcomer to Kurosawa's canon.

Here's my review of the film...

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6090.0.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:26:11 AM by Antares »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:20:38 AM »
I'll have to hold off watching it until I can get my hands on a few more choices. Thanks for the advice and great review!  :thumbup:

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 08:51:32 AM »
Thats pretty cool thanks Antares

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:13:36 PM »
I'll have to hold off watching it until I can get my hands on a few more choices. Thanks for the advice and great review!  :thumbup:

No problem, you see, Kurosawa is for me, what Hitchcock is for Jon. To me, he is the Michelangelo of cinema and I wouldn't want someone to become disillusioned with his work by starting with one of his more elaborate set pieces.

Would you be interested in my old copies of Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro? I still have them from when I double dipped to get the remastered versions that Criterion released a few years ago.

The quality of the films is pretty poor compared to the remastered versions, but at least you'd get a chance to view them without making a purchase.