Author Topic: Very Upset  (Read 3859 times)

snowcat

Re: Very Upset
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
To be honest this stuff happens all the time over here.... films I want to see are in the cinema sometimes less then a week....

The way I see it is, if they didn't show films like twilight, they would make less money and have to close down, I can live with compromises like that if it saves the cinema for later days.

Najemikon

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
To be honest this stuff happens all the time over here.... films I want to see are in the cinema sometimes less then a week....

The way I see it is, if they didn't show films like twilight, they would make less money and have to close down, I can live with compromises like that if it saves the cinema for later days.

But that's the whole reason cinema is dumbing down and the independents can't survive, because they're forced into showing all the blockbuster shit and then have no identity.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »
 :o Jon you speak like me :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 06:55:32 PM »
 :hysterical:

Bear in mind I do actually like Blockbuster shit, I just get frustrated because there is more to cinema than that.

Critter

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »

But that's the whole reason cinema is dumbing down and the independents can't survive, because they're forced into showing all the blockbuster shit and then have no identity.

This is true, but it's kind of funny because I actually started this topic because Toy Story 3 wasn't being shown because of Twilight. Hardly a small independent film.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 07:43:10 AM »
There is only one theater in town here..so my movie options are very limited.  It is a little better since they opened a slightly bigger theater, but it is still mostly the blockbuster type stuff that plays.  Though some movies that would never come here before do come for a week or two at times, so that's something.

snowcat

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
...To be fair, its not just small independent cinemas taking hits... the Odeon only showed about 80% of the films released in September for a week....

I wouldn't say they are dumbing down Jon, thats like saying its dumb to show mainstream cinema and make a crap ton of money.... 

but at the end of the day
 :2cents:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 12:32:59 PM »
thats like saying its dumb to show mainstream cinema and make a crap ton of money.... 
It is dumb and the theatre doesn't made a ton of money with that (why do you think the cost for the concession treats are that high?). The majority of the first week box-office goes to the distributors for many title and the % decrease gradually each weeks. The theatres owners had talked about this here not too long ago and to get more than 50% of the box-office money a film must be at its fourth weeks of showing wich never happen (for some titles it's even more).

The cinema problems will stop the day the studio system will collapse and when the public will understand that CGI, explosion, untalented overprice cloned actors/actresses, automatic pilot script writing, MTV editing, loud music, 3D (or other gimmicks), etc. don't make a good movie...

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
The cinema problems will stop the day the studio system will collapse and when the public will understand that CGI, explosion, untalented overprice cloned actors/actresses, automatic pilot script writing, MTV editing, loud music, 3D (or other gimmicks), etc. don't make a good movie...
Are you talking about the same "public" that's buying untalented, overpaid musicians at the top of the music-charts, and that still has to learn that shouting "Yes" is not a very good idea if they are asked if they want a "total war" ...

I don't have too much hope that the "public" will ever learn.

After all Goebbels told us how the IQ of a mass of people can determined: Take the lowest single IQ in the mass and divide it by the number of people on the place.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »
Are you talking about the same "public" that's buying untalented, overpaid musicians at the top of the music-charts, and that still has to learn that shouting "Yes" is not a very good idea if they are asked if they want a "total war" ...
Yes it's the same public :laugh:
The performers aren't just untalented they need a machine to modified their voices and they don't even sound good. If you can't sing or play an instrument what is the point of doing music? OK The Monkees in the sixties were an exception but they were a TV show band. But now it's almost every top 40 artists who can't sing (listen to them live is painfull, unless they make you pay to listen to them lip-synch like many does...), like it wasn't already bad when the hip-hop started to annoy us 20 years ago...

In a French Canadian perspective : it's the same public who think that Les boys is great cinema, that Patrick Huard is funny, that Linda Lemay is a good song writer or that Celine Dion is a sincere artist...