Author Topic: Firefox 4b6 warning when opening dvdcollectorsonline.com  (Read 9904 times)

RossRoy

Re: Firefox 4b6 warning when opening dvdcollectorsonline.com
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »
What I love about those "reported malware site" warnings is that perfectly safe websites like this one sometimes get flagged - yet so many that are obviously set up to install malware don't get flagged.

Go figure.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
What I love about those "reported malware site" warnings is that perfectly safe websites like this one sometimes get flagged - yet so many that are obviously set up to install malware don't get flagged.

Go figure.
Another good question:
What does a Security Software manufacturer do to raise the sales?

And now I go into my cellar and get completely paranoid  :stars: :stars: :suicide:

Rogmeister

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 10:24:20 PM »
I got that "attack site" warning, too.  So, for now, I have temporarily gone back to using my Explorer browser though I generally do prefer to use Firefox.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
I have temporarily gone back to using my Explorer browser though I generally do prefer to use Firefox.
If you don't like IE8 try Opera instead.
Still the safest browser with the best response time on discovered security leaks.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »
It's sure boring to use Internet Explorer since I don't like it at all, but looks like we don't have a choice untill Google remove the warning. Sure Firefox can work but we get the warning every page we go and the layout appearance is sure ugly.

Just find the way to stop it in the option (thanks Tom), I just have to think to replace after I log out.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »
Isn't there a white-list or go-there-anyway option in Firefox?

Still the safest browser with the best response time on discovered security leaks.

While I kinda like Opera, it is still one of the few browsers  (or even the only one?) without auto completion for form fields.
Matthias

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 11:09:41 PM »
If there is one I can't find it in the security options.

RossRoy

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:46 PM »
Isn't there a white-list or go-there-anyway option in Firefox?

Don't think so, and anyway I'm not sure you'd want that.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you are a regular at site XYZ which is supported by ads supplied by company ABC. Let's say ABC's ad acceptance standards are, shall we say, a little dubious, and an infected ad makes it through the approval process.

Now, let's say you have XYZ on your whitelist. Despite is being reported as infected, which would have blocked it, because it is whitelisted, you go on the site, the ad appears and you are infected.

Granted, this is a very specific and somewhat unlikely chain of event. But it could happen. Actually, it did happen. On NYTimes.com no less.

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »
You're absolutely right, and it happens more than you think, at a lower level. I've heard of some bigger name sites as well get criticism because they don't vet the ads.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »
But we don't have publicity here? So what is the risk...

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 12:30:04 AM »
But we don't have publicity here? So what is the risk...
A hostile takeover?
Happens all the time especially on smaller sites with (assumed) reduced security management.

You would be scared to learn what the Internet Mafia is willing to do to get new E-Mail adresses.
Not because they would want to send you Spam, but because then they have 50% of the necessary data to access your accounts on Amazon, PayPal, EBay, etc. If you take into consideration that most people only have one E-Mail account and use one password for everything (which usually is as hard to guess as your first name ( but hey, I made it harder to guess, I replaced every "i" with a "1")), you can easily imagine what damage can be done if someone knows your E-Mail.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 12:38:14 AM »

While I kinda like Opera, it is still one of the few browsers  (or even the only one?) without auto completion for form fields.

Since I would have this switched off, I couldn't care less about this feature.
One of the things I'm really paranoid about, is programs having direct and uncontrolled access on personal data.

RossRoy

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 02:12:53 AM »
Looks like it's fixed. Just got home and I'm not getting the alert.

Oops looks like I spoke too soon.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 02:16:36 AM by RossRoy »

snowcat

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »
....Well, Im getting the warning on Google Chrome also

And my antivirus also refused to let me come on the site last night, ive deleted it from my laptop.... funnily enough, it was even activated because I hate those stupid free trials you get with new computers.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
It's getting worse!
Now even Google is warning in their search results that "This site might damage your computer"