Author Topic: Perseids  (Read 980 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Perseids
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
For those interested, the Perseid Meteor shower peaks this Thursday night and early Friday morning. This year is a great year for viewing, with the moon setting at 10PM.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/perseid-meteor-shower-bright-fireball-100809.html

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Perseids
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »
So is anyone venturing outside tonight?

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »
Will it be viewable from my house?  :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »
I'm telling you Jon, a meteor shower is wild to watch. I've seen three peak showers in the last 4 years, the Leonids twice and the Geminids. Unfortunately, those both occur in December, and you freeze your ass off trying to view them. One year, for the Leonids, the wind chill was -5 F below zero. That's why the Perseids are so prized by astronomers. All you really have to worry about when viewing these is mosquitoes.

This is the best one of the year and is only good at times when there is no moon to wash out the sky. This year, the moon sets at 10PM, so as long as it's not cloudy where you are, you should have prime viewing. As long as you find a place far from city lights.

Right now, where I am, there are clouds moving in from the NW. I'm praying that they dissipate before midnight. I've been trying to catch this particular meteor shower with peak viewing conditions, for close to 35 years. Every time it's been perfect viewing in regards to the moon, it's been cloudy where I was. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:05:09 PM »
I've got my binoculars and lounge chair ready. There is only a few wispy clouds which are expected to pass. I hope they will be visible in Buffalo.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 11:07:25 PM »
I've got my binoculars and lounge chair ready. There is only a few wispy clouds which are expected to pass. I hope they will be visible in Buffalo.

I just looked at the satellite image and Buffalo looks like it's going to be clear tonight.

Oh, and you don't need binoculars for a meteor shower. If you use them, you'll miss out on 90% of the meteors.