Author Topic: It's the first time I noticed this  (Read 1636 times)

Mustrum_Ridcully

It's the first time I noticed this
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
Probably the best hint on the end of the DVD can be seen here.
I think it's the first time that the Blu is sold cheaper than the DVD (at least for new releases).

So probably it's finally time for me to get this BluRay-player.

kahless

Re: It's the first time I noticed this
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
Yes, it looks like blu-ray prices are normalizing. But there are still some relevant differences between blu and dvd. Comparing prices is essential.

Another critic from my side is the need to do annoying firmware updates on the blu-ra player. I own a blu ray since end of last year (Samsung BDP-1580) and I had to update 3 times. Never had this with any dvd player.

My father e.g has a blu ray player as well, but no internet. So what could he do without me to do updates?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:53:47 PM by kahless »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
I have a Samsung BDP-1500. In the beginning I made the firmware updates in the hope that the region free hack will be working, which only seems to work with the Australian model. I haven't done an update for a while now. I don't think it is necessary. It was only necessary when Blu-ray players were still new and the Blu-ray standard wasn't really finished yet. Then you needed updates to make sure that the newest Blu-ray discs were working on your player. But I never had any problems playing a disc.

kahless

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
Well, shortly after buying my new (!) player I purchased the German blu-ray of "Inglorious Basterds. I inserted the disc and after the trailers the player stopped working. Before the update I had to change the menu to English as a workaround after doing some investigation in the internet.

Later on I bought "Avatar". The whole family was sitting in front of my tv awaiting a great blu-ray movie event. After inserting the disc there was a message on the screen that I have to perform a firmware update. This was quite annoying. The reason for most of the updates are the different Java versions and experiments of the blu-rays. Seems that the manufactures are still not able to find a working global standard! But in the meantime the consumer is the guinea pig for the manufacturers... :2cents:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:18:50 AM »
When I clicked the link thew prices were equal. Still, why not get Blu if it's the same price as the DVD...

I have seen it before myself though, that Blu was actually cheaper. It's not yet common place, but we are getting there.

It's just sad that we still need to guide the Dicstibutors that much. We want faithful transfers and at least some Special Features to make use of the capacity. Too many sub-standard transfers and too many vanilla Blu-rays are still being released.

I have a PS3 which gets updated regularly anyway. Heck, they will even add 3D capability via firmware patch (not that I need it....).

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »
They could gave them and my interest would stay the same... I'm perfectly happy with the regular dvd and I don't care at all for the unecessary new format. Of course I don't watch many new movies and a movie over-cleaned just doesn't look natural at all to me... I like to feel the age of a movie when I watch it and not feel like I'm watching a new movie.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »
They could gave them and my interest would stay the same... I'm perfectly happy with the regular dvd and I don't care at all for the unecessary new format.
No. It's not "unecessary". It's only that 95% of the movies you like are not on Blu-ray yet, so there is no use for you ;)

Of course I don't watch many new movies and a movie over-cleaned just doesn't look natural at all to me... I like to feel the age of a movie when I watch it and not feel like I'm watching a new movie.
Yes. Strongly agreed. As I said in my previous post, basically. Movies are indeed not supposed to be all clean and shiny, they are supposed to look the same way they looked when they were first screened at the cinema.