Author Topic: Privacy concerns  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Privacy concerns
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »
A lot of you might already know this, but I saw a news report regarding this site. I was surprised at how much personal information can be found here: http://www.spokeo.com/

You can opt out by going to the "privacy" settings located on the lower right and following the directions.

hal9g

Re: Privacy concerns
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:03:49 PM »
That's just not right!   :redcard:

Thanks for posting that, Kathy! 

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
That's just too cool! I mean after all, anybody who thinks there is any sort of privacy online is just in denial. Anything and everything is traceable. I'm glad sites like this may finally make people realize just how open your whole life becomes when you use Facebook / Twitter / MySpace / etc.

Touti

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »
Has anyone actually paid to get the full results and see if the information is valid ? I'm guessing that it's full of incorrect data and that's it's just a racket to take money from people who are concerned about privacy.

It's pretty to get the name from an email address and say gimme 5$ if you want more. 

hal9g

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »
That's just too cool! I mean after all, anybody who thinks there is any sort of privacy online is just in denial. Anything and everything is traceable. I'm glad sites like this may finally make people realize just how open your whole life becomes when you use Facebook / Twitter / MySpace / etc.

I don't use any of those, and yet they had a significant amount of info on me posted!

Touti

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »
They hardly had anything on me, maybe this site only deals with people living in the USA

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
Couldn't find myself by name, but by e-mail address it would get some basic stuff.

If you want privacy, cancel your Internet. I run a website and am aware that my full home address is available there. :shrug:

It looks just like scraped stuff on the surface, like Eric said. Heck, I looked up some other names and found stuff from the DVD Profiler Rules forum... :shrug:

lyonsden5

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
It is a compliation of information that ends up on mailing lists. I can tell by the fact that my mom is listed as living with me. She bought us something at Rooms To Go (A furniture store for those of you unfamiliar) and listed our address as the delivery address, even though the purchase was in her name. Ever since we get all kinds of mail addressed to her (Thanks RTG for selling my mom's information...). So you can't just blame the online services, stores obviously sell your information as well and have for years. It's just easier for the average Joe to find that information now. This site has found a way to put it all together and then hopefully charge people for it.

FWIW they had mine pretty wrong.  :laugh: My wife info on the other hand was a bit more accurate. Funny part is I have my information all over the place on the web (Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, my company website, numerous internet groups, Google "everything" (heh - love those Google apps)) and she has very little available on Facebook and has her privacy settings where I can hardly find out info about her.  :shrug:

karmesinrot

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Haha weird! They didn't have anything on me by name but they had a photo of me with my ex boyfriend when I searched by email! :p But then they had my age well wrong.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
They found me... but all very old information. We are talking info from before I even had a kid... and my daughter is 14!  :P
Pete

kahless

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »
They do not find anything about me. I feel so insignificant!  :weep:  :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:22:11 PM »
Nothing on me

Alien Redrum

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:46:47 PM »
They had a bit on me, but most of it was wrong.

Apparently I'm married and have kids now. Who knew.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »
That's very interesting! I found myself, but none of the photos were right.  But when I picked the Mark Harrison down the street, it showed my photo. :laugh:

As long as they're not posting my SSN, it seems rather harmless.  Anyone who really, really has to know all my personal details, just let my know and I can save you the registration fee. My life really isn't all that interesting! :hysterical:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 05:23:39 AM »
Found some on me, though most wrong.