Author Topic: First Female Prime Minister  (Read 1171 times)

Critter

First Female Prime Minister
« on: June 25, 2010, 01:16:23 AM »
I don't know how much of Australian politics are covered overseas but there are big things happening here right now. What felt like over night, Kevin Rudd (our PM since 2007) was booted out of the office and the job is now held by Julia Gillard, making her Australia's first ever female prime minister. Now I don't personally understand the details of why this happened. Usually when a new PM is elected in Australia there is months of campaigning and then a nation-wide vote (unlike some countries, everyone has to vote here). As far as I can tell the people in Kevin Rudds own party got sick of him and called for Gillard to go up in a ballot against him. I think she was winning by a landslide when Rudd just stood down which resulted in her getting the job.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: First Female Prime Minister
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 03:19:43 AM »
It's probably because Kevin Rudd isn't the chief of the party anymore, but like the party mandate isn't over yet (the reason why you haven't an election) Julia Gillard was named the new chief of the power party and the head of the states at the same occasion (those things usually happen inside the party itself). The same thing happen when John Turner, Kim Campbell and Paul Martin took the power here.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:38:03 AM »
So the campagin is on for this, we are finally counting down to the days until we have the official vote for the new Prime Minister but I just found out something quite funny.

There will only be one election debate between the two major sides in this campagin, and it will be aired on TV. Only I just found out that they actually changed the time it was supposed to be aired becuase it clashed with the final episode of popular reality series Masterchef.

Now Masterchef is a reality TV cooking show that Australia seems to be obsessed with, so when it comes down to watching a highly important debate between our future country leaders... or watching who wins Masterchef well, it was pretty obvious to the Government at least which one people would watch, so they changed the time.

How's that for priorities?  :laugh:

hal9g

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:30:26 AM »
Maybe instead of a debate, the candidates should become contestants on Masterchef and kill two birds with one stone!   :devil:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »
That might be interesting  :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:15:45 AM »
 :laugh:
I'm sure if the debate was going to be a cook off between our two aspiring PM's then there would be a lot more people tuned in to watch.