Author Topic: Vegetarians/ Vegans/ Video Games  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetarians/ Vegans/ Video Games
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
Well, I haven't played in a while, but from what I remember, to move Guybrush around you had to click and drag instead of just clicking where you want him to go (that's with "improved" graphics - even I still prefer the original ones!)
Click and drag...? Not sure if I know what you mean. I remember you had to click once, then he would go to that spot. Do you mean the dragging comes in when the camera view changes and you want him to go "off the screen". Not sure how to say. I don't remember any actual dragging. It's been about 18 years though... :stars:

RossRoy

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2010, 05:48:56 PM »
Well, I haven't played in a while, but from what I remember, to move Guybrush around you had to click and drag instead of just clicking where you want him to go (that's with "improved" graphics - even I still prefer the original ones!)
Click and drag...? Not sure if I know what you mean. I remember you had to click once, then he would go to that spot. Do you mean the dragging comes in when the camera view changes and you want him to go "off the screen". Not sure how to say. I don't remember any actual dragging. It's been about 18 years though... :stars:

(click to show/hide)

My mistake.

This new improved "classic" Monkey Island controls as expected. It's the new Monkey Island game by Telltale Games that use the click-and-drag movement that I hate so much.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:18:00 PM by RossRoy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
Oh, those. I got them for really cheap (free :P) for the Mac but haven't played them yet.

(click to show/hide)

RossRoy

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »
Oh, those. I got them for really cheap (free :P) for the Mac but haven't played them yet.

I like the new Monkey Island by Telltale. It's fun and hey! It's Monkey Island  :laugh:

But that control scheme :shudders:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2010, 05:59:42 PM »
I like the new Monkey Island by Telltale. It's fun and hey! It's Monkey Island  :laugh:

But that control scheme :shudders:
You made me try. So, yes, it's the same in OS X. And yes, it's horrible. What were they thinking? At least the arrow keys can be used as well.

Almost makes me want to buy it on PSN instead :slaphead:

Critter

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2010, 01:41:08 PM »
I'm just going to jump back to the vegetarian issue for a minute. But you can continue with the games after.

I was watching TV today and saw a really heatwarming story on Ellen about a refuge for abused farm animals. I thought our other resident veggo, Kathy might be interested in it so I found it on youtube.

RossRoy

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »
Sorry to derail the thread again ;)

I just played through Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition again - I do hope these sold well enough for them to revisit other classics! Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, and my personal favourite Zak McKraken!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »
I just played through Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition again - I do hope these sold well enough for them to revisit other classics! Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, and my personal favourite Zak McKraken!
I love Fate of Atlantis, let's for at least that one. Although I'd assume Day of the Tentacle, which I have never played, would be first, as it's another fan favorite. I also know about Loom (if anything then because of the "Ask me about Loom" sticker :laugh:)  and Maniac Mansion. Never heard of McKraken.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:37 PM »
I love Fate of Atlantis, let's for at least that one. Although I'd assume Day of the Tentacle, which I have never played, would be first, as it's another fan favorite. I also know about Loom (if anything then because of the "Ask me about Loom" sticker :laugh:)  and Maniac Mansion. Never heard of McKraken.

Day of the Tentacle is the best LucasArts game ever!  :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »
Never heard of McKraken.

:o

It's the ancestor to all those classics! (ok I'm sure there are others..)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_McKracken_and_the_Alien_Mindbenders

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2010, 04:46:33 PM »
It's the ancestor to all those classics! (ok I'm sure there are others..)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_McKracken_and_the_Alien_Mindbenders
Want.

RossRoy

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 05:24:44 PM »
You know, about Monkey Island Special Edition, I wish I could pick and choose what I want as "retro-style" and what I want as "Special Edition-Style"... Basically, I'd love to have the retro graphics, with retro music, but with voice over.

Monkey Island 2 fixes it somewhat (I haven't tried it yet - don't know the details) but I do know you can activate voice overs in the retro version. I hope they keep the retro music... sounds much better than the "modern" arrangements...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 03:05:56 AM »
Monkey Island 2 fixes it somewhat (I haven't tried it yet - don't know the details) but I do know you can activate voice overs in the retro version. I hope they keep the retro music... sounds much better than the "modern" arrangements...
I think the voice is the only choice. I assume it's the same "sound track", so no way to choose single items.

Interestingly, I listened to a podcast yesterday where they discussed this at length. The guys from the blog-website (joystiq.com) like the remake very much. However, they talked about another guy, who is/was preserving old video games, who complained about the "problem" that you could not go "full retro", something always remains updated no matter what settings you choose.

Given the fact there is an achievement for not using the help/highlight system (in MI 2) I thought it seems to easy to access (R2...? really?). I hope I am wrong.