Author Topic: Vegetarians/ Vegans/ Video Games  (Read 6913 times)

Critter

Re: Vegetarians/ Vegans
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 05:33:15 AM »
The main improvment I have found is that in the sequal I always have something to do. I never finished the first one becuase really, I just got bored of it. It was exciting at the start but after about a week or so of playing it I found myself just wandering around towns, with nothing to do and nowhere to go. I found that I lost track of what I was meant to be doing and often wasn't sure what my aim was. In the sequal however there is no mindless wandering at all. If you are in a town and just feel like doing your own thing there is always plenty to do, and if you want to continue the story there is always a direct way to do so.

Do you play it on PS3, Xbox or PC?

Touti

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 06:10:10 AM »
I play on PC.  I was never a big gamer and I had not played in many years until december 09.  I needed something to do during my Christmas holiday so I bought Assassin's creed online for 20$ and "invested" in a Wireless Xbox controller for WIndows, it's the same as the xbox one but it comes with a USB wireless receiver for the PC.  Then in May I bought the sequel because I read good stuff about it.

As I said I'm not a big gamer, I don't like games like Doom where you only shoot at everything that's moving without any purpose.  I think I played 10 computer games in my life before assassin's creed.  I started with the "Leisure Suit Larry" series which you can't know if you're not at least 40.  Then I really had a blast with the "Myst" games.  I really liked how non-linear they were. I think it was also one of the first games out there where you didn't have to start all over again if you got killed.

And just to say on topic.............I do eat vegetables now and then :)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 06:14:52 AM »
I started with the "Leisure Suit Larry" series which you can't know if you're not at least 40. 

I'm not 40 and I've heard of Leisure Suit Larry.  I never played any of them, but I know some about them.

Touti

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 06:32:07 AM »
Role playing..........that was the big revolution back in the early 90's.  I remember another fun game that was popular, it was called "Incredible Machines". 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
I haven't heard of that one.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 07:01:26 AM »
[That actually I think is the best improvement, I finished the story but unlike the first version, we can go back and keep playing just to try and do all the stuff we didn't complete before.
The only thing it is missing is the ability to replay missions. Most painfully obvious when you pay a bunch of dollars for additional missions that you can only play once (or start the whole game over to get to that point again).

RossRoy

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 01:57:51 PM »
I started with the "Leisure Suit Larry" series which you can't know if you're not at least 40.

:redcard:

I'm 31 and I know these games very well! Always loved them! I used to love Point'n'Click adventures: Indiana Jones, Monkey Island, Manaic Mansion, Zak McKrakken.. aw man! So many good memories! Too bad they don't make these games anymore - with the awesome MIDI music!

Someone mentioned Incredible Machines - loved it! Still play them now and then. There's one very similar on Steam.. the name escapes me at the moment.. Crazy Machine? Something like that..

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:00:00 PM by RossRoy »

Touti

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2010, 02:51:30 PM »
I didn't realize Leisure Suite Larry had kept on going so long after my time.  I always thought that it died in the mid 90's when computer started to be more powerful and having better graphics.

The "Big Gulp" in LSL 4 is a classic, I can see it in my head as clearly as 20 years ago.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
This thread made me almost buy the Lucasarts Adventure pack on Steam, as it is only $9.99, containing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Dig and Loom. Too bad there was some trouble with my credit card :shrug:

I did, however, buy both Monkey Island HD updates on PSN.

RossRoy

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
I did, however, buy both Monkey Island HD updates on PSN.

THe second one is out already?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2010, 06:44:10 AM »
Just this past week. I supposed to be on Steam (both PC and Mac), iPhone/iPad, PSN, and XBLA.

RossRoy

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2010, 07:17:39 AM »
Just this past week. I supposed to be on Steam (both PC and Mac), iPhone/iPad, PSN, and XBLA.
Right after posting I went on Live and saw it - it's now downloaded to my Xbox  :thumbup:

I'll probably even repurchase Part 1 - this time on Xbox.. I originally bought it on PC thinking point and click adventures would be much better on PC - but they changed the control scheme and I think it works better with a controller now...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2010, 01:40:35 PM »
I'll probably even repurchase Part 1 - this time on Xbox.. I originally bought it on PC thinking point and click adventures would be much better on PC - but they changed the control scheme and I think it works better with a controller now...
:stars:

How do you change the control scheme for point and click...?

However, you will find that Monkey Island 2 can be controlled as point-and-click but also with the stick. I like the latter quite a bit (haven't played far yet). Also, in part 2 you finally can set the voices to also play while using the retro graphics, which part 1 didn't allow.

Critter

Re: Vegetarians/ Vegans/ Video Games
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2010, 02:17:24 PM »
I just changed the title of this thread to suite it more. As for the games, I have heard a lot of great things about Monkey Island, I would really like to try it. I will probably get it when I start using the PSN store more.

RossRoy

Re: Vegetarians/ Vegans/ Video Games
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »
Well, I haven't played in a while, but from what I remember, to move Guybrush around you had to click and drag instead of just clicking where you want him to go (that's with "improved" graphics - even I still prefer the original ones!)