Author Topic: A Question to all Gamers  (Read 2911 times)

Critter

A Question to all Gamers
« on: July 13, 2010, 03:36:45 AM »
How much time do you spend playing games on your consoles? I was going to ask this in the Playstation thread but I am asking everyone here, PS3, Xbox, Wii even PC etc.

Myself: I play my PS3 in roughly 10-30 min periods of time. I like to keep it short becuase I have problems with my right wrist (I have previously had to have steroids injected into it) and if I use the controller for an extended period of time it hurts. So I will play in short bursts spread throughout the day, anywhere between 2 to 5 times a day.

For those who don't have weak wrists though, how long would you be able to play for in one sitting?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A Question to all Gamers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:52:47 AM »
Only few men have weak wrists :bag:

Seriously though, I play often two hours per day, usually late in the evening after being done with watching a movie and reading on the 'net. During weekend, if I am at home with nothing else to do, these session can extend to 6 hours a piece. :bag:

hal9g

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:56:15 AM »
I do not own a game console and do not play games on my computer.

Do you suppose there is something wrong with me?  :stars:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:01:39 AM »
I have played games for a few hours at a time before on my PS2. 

When I play World of Warcraft, how long I play varies, depending on what I'm doing.  Sometimes just a hour or so, and other times it is much longer.

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:02:01 AM »
It really all depends on the game.

For something engaging, like Red Dead, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, etc. I can spend whole days on the game in a single session.

For things like Rock Band or Guitar Hero - it usually ends up being 1 or 2 hours at most - I get sick of the music (Rock Band doesn't exactly feature my favorite genre of music.. though with the addition of The Zombies, Brian Setzer and Otis Redding.. they are getting there!)

Then there are games I want to like but can't handle for too long - things like Silent Hill, Alan Wake, Bioshock.. These I tend to play in sessions of 30-45 minutes.. after that my nerves can't take anymore! hahaha

Critter

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:20:23 AM »
I have played games for a few hours at a time before on my PS2.  

When I play World of Warcraft, how long I play varies, depending on what I'm doing.  Sometimes just a hour or so, and other times it is much longer.

Marie! I had no idea you are a WoW player! That's awesome!

Seriously though, I play often two hours per day, usually late in the evening after being done with watching a movie and reading on the 'net. During weekend, if I am at home with nothing else to do, these session can extend to 6 hours a piece. :bag:

It seems I play a lot less than many people here. I find that it helps me though sometimes. I can unfortunatly get easily frustrated in games so if I am at a level or a section where I find myself repeating the exact same thing over and over and dying every time it really gets me angry, but I find that if I take a few hours then go back to it with a clear head it always helps.

Oh and Hal,  :laugh: there's nothing wrong with you. I have to ask though, have you ever tried playing games? Or do you just not see the appeal?

hal9g

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 04:37:42 AM »
Oh and Hal,  :laugh: there's nothing wrong with you. I have to ask though, have you ever tried playing games? Or do you just not see the appeal?

I played "text" based computer games before computer graphics existed.  A game called "Adventure" chewed up many hours.

Later I owned the original "pong" game for TV, and graduated to an Intellivision game console which played things like "Asteroids", "PacMan" and "PGA Golf".

I simply lost interest after awhile.

I have played bowling on a Wii that my nephew has.  I'd rather go to the bowling alley.

I spend way too much time on my PC as it is, without playing games on it.

My nephews are so into their "games" (they've got X-Box, PS-3, Wii and several Gameboys) that their interpersonal skills are seriously lacking!  They even use them (or their IPods) during meals instead of participating in conversation.  It is quite troublesome to me.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 04:56:46 AM »
In general, I haven't had a lot of luck with most video games.  I have gotten stuck or frustrated in several games.

I was doing good in the first Resident Evil game.  Then I forgot to get something.  When I realized it, I wasn't ready to deal with the one area of the game again.  And I didn't play it anymore after that.  I'm not sure why I didn't go back eventually.

I played the first Zelda game...I got most of the way through it, and then I couldn't get in the last...dungeon or castle or whatever. 

I had a Zelda game for Super Nintendo.  I got to the last dungeon or whatever there...and promptly got stuck only a few rooms in. 

I was doing good with Final Fantasy VII..then I got to the part where I would have to train and race the birds..and I didn't want to do that. 

I tried Spyro and then quickly got stuck because I couldn't manage to fly. 

I tend to suck horribly at racing games...I can't steer right and hit everything.   :laugh: 

I rented the first Tomb Raider...I was stuck in the first cave or whatever and never got her out..I'm talking the starting area.   :bag:  I tried the demo for the third Tomb Raider.  I got stuck in a corner.   :bag:  Sometimes I wonder why I try.   :laugh:

I've done good with Kingdom Hearts.  I just haven't played it for a long time.  I'm not stuck or anything..I just haven't taken the time to play it.

I do have fun with WoW.  But for the most part, I suck at games.  :lol

Oh...I have a Wii now.  I do ok at bowling..well..I have fun with it anyway.  :) 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 05:06:56 AM »
Later I owned the original "pong" game for TV, and graduated to an Intellivision game console which played things like "Asteroids", "PacMan" and "PGA Golf".
I've played Asteroids at the arcade when it came out. Many people would find this funny, but we were like this :drooling: watching the realist vector effect on this game (wich will be used later for 3D arcade game).

Don't forget it was a long time ago and our arcade were mostly filled with pinball machines (The 6 Millions Dollars Man one was fun) :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 05:17:56 AM »
Oh I almost forgot...my stepdad had the Super Nintendo when he and my mom got married.  the only game he had was golf.  To say I sucked at that game is an understatement.  I think one time I finished at almost 300 over par.

Critter

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:28:47 AM »
My nephews are so into their "games" (they've got X-Box, PS-3, Wii and several Gameboys) that their interpersonal skills are seriously lacking!  They even use them (or their IPods) during meals instead of participating in conversation.  It is quite troublesome to me.

It's a shame when that happens, hopefully it is just a stage that they will pass through. I am friends with a lot of people who game but I have never known any who let it effect their social life. I have of course heard of it happening though, what with all the talk of 'game addiction' these days.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 06:30:48 AM »
I have a 360 and I play probably between 1 and 3 hours a night. Mainly, though, because my cousin lives out of state and it's a chance for us to bs. I probably talked to him more in the past few months over Call of Duty than I have in the past few years prior.  :laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:19:25 AM »
I have over 20 fully functional games consoles and I really do try and spread my time between all of them equally but I always end up playing my favourites the most
(Megadrive, DS, Gameboy) I play about an hour - 2 hours a day, sometimes less... I don't really have time for it any more which honestly makes me sad... I wish I did.... sometimes I think I would be better selling my collections.

hal9g

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
Don't forget it was a long time ago and our arcade were mostly filled with pinball machines (The 6 Millions Dollars Man one was fun) :laugh:

Yup, I was a big pinball addict when I was in the service.   :-[

kahless

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 04:10:44 PM »
I don't own a console (but my kids do - if I ask them, they would hopefully allow me to play games... ;D). The only "game" I enjoy is the MS Flightsimulator. Not very often - but when I'm "flying" I do this in real time. This could take a few hours.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:15:56 PM by kahless »