Author Topic: "Dancing at Auschwitz"  (Read 1713 times)

Touti

"Dancing at Auschwitz"
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:19:47 PM »
Short recap if you don't know the story.  An Australian woman took her family and her 89 years old Auschwitz survivor father back to the camp where they made a video in which they dance on Glora Gainor's "I will survive" song.  Their intention was to celebrate life and by a new an different mean, try and make people think on the holocaust.

There was strong reactions in favor and also against but that's not why I'm posting here.  The thing is that youtube has removed the video because of a copyright claim by APRA.  There's many organizations that go with "APRA" and I couldn't find much on google but it seems that it's a Performance Rights Group in Australia.

I was hoping our Australian members could shed some light on this.  What is APRA, who exactly do they represent and how can they claim copyright and get youtube to withdraw a Video that was uploaded by its maker ?

The family has posted it back but there's a good chance it will be removed again.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:21:24 PM by Eric »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: "Dancing at Auschwitz"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
I am guessing it is because of the song which is used in this video. Maybe the makers do not have permission to use it.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »
 :hmmmm:  I didn't think of that, you might be right Tom.

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
I was hoping our Australian members could shed some light on this.  What is APRA, who exactly do they represent and how can they claim copyright and get youtube to withdraw a Video that was uploaded by its maker ?

APRA must be the australian equivalent of the US RIAA and the copyright claim they made must be for the song. And from what I heard, Google doesn't question any takedown notice, they just take it down, that's why they won their case against Viacom.

I'm all for compensation to the artists for their work.. The problem I have with copyright law is that it doesn't profit the artists - it profits the distributors. Guys in suit debating who will be the next "It" girl/guy and market them to hell. Who cares about actual music and art.. $$$ is all that counts. And the masses are sheepishly buying. :suicide:

And governments are giving in all over the world, making copyright laws are stringent as they can.. Well, except one (I don't remember which) but they added fair use provisions on their copyright law and actually made it illegal to put protection that would prevent fair use  :thumbup:

What was that post about again?

Sorry for the rant  :bag:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »
While I am usually rather open to these things and the participation of the grandfather gives them some kind of legitimation, I am a little torn on this, whether to think it's a good idea or rather inappropriate. :headscratch:

But yes, YouTube is cracking down hard on copyright infringement. They will often remove stuff even before someone claims ownership (hence sometimes people even wonder why their stuff was removed).

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
If dancing there was right for that elderly gentleman, that is enough for me.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »
 :thumbup:

And it's an obscene expression of freedom, the very thing he could never have done if Hitler had his way. I'm not sure I like it, but I agree with Kathy and defend his right to do it.

Critter

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »
I'm a hopeless Australian when it comes to information on this sort of thing. I have never even heard of APRA until this thread so I know about as much as you do :shrug:

Touti

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »
I think it's worth reading.

http://thejewishstar.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/work-won’t-set-you-free-perhaps dancing/