Author Topic: If it isn't one thing.... it's another  (Read 10876 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: If it isn't one thing.... it's another
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
I certainly hope so... they are definitely the best hospital around here.
Pete

Alien Redrum

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »
They are one of the best in the country, if not the world, right?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »
Well... I really know very little about them. But according to Wikipedia They are the #1 hospital in the United States for 19 years running... and  rank in the top 3 in several different specialties.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 06:24:02 PM »
There's a TV presenter/sportsman in the UK called Ben Fogle, who was struck down by a Flesh Eating Disease called Leishmaniasis. I don't know if it bears any relation, this was tropical for instance, but it's encouraging to know that he was very ill, but made a full recovery relatively quickly. I think he was bed ridden for three weeks and afterwards was treated daily at the London Tropical Diseases Hospital.

These things sound scary, Pete, but if they know what it is, they can attack it.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »
How is your brother, Pete?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »
I am sorry... I forgot to update you all.

He spent a few days at John Hopkins... and then let him come home yesterday where he has to follow up with a local doctor. I haven't had the chance to see him yet. Hope to soon. But I hear his arm looks pretty bad. that it looks like they had to remove quite a bit and his arm looks thinner then normal. I also heard because of no insurance they just sewed him up... didn't bother with a skin graph. So who knows how his arm will look once it is completely  healed.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2010, 07:04:36 PM »
Please keep us updated Pete. The body has an amazing capacity to heal and you will be surprised at how much better it will look once healed.

Be sure to let your brother know to watch for redness, drainage or changes near and surrounding the incision site.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »
Thanks Kathy... will do :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 01:26:34 AM »
I am sorry... I forgot to update you all.

He spent a few days at John Hopkins... and then let him come home yesterday where he has to follow up with a local doctor. I haven't had the chance to see him yet. Hope to soon. But I hear his arm looks pretty bad. that it looks like they had to remove quite a bit and his arm looks thinner then normal. I also heard because of no insurance they just sewed him up... didn't bother with a skin graph. So who knows how his arm will look once it is completely  healed.

It's when I hear things like this that I wonder why Obama's plans for a UK style NHS caused such uproar. I complain a lot about the NHS; my family have been badly let down in some cases, plus a problem I had that was thought to be a hernia would have dragged on and on if I didn't pay to see a private physiotherapist. Plus the postcode lottery of how well you get treated is scandalous.

BUT. For regular, everyday, "just fix me" stuff like this, they are marvellous. Your brother would get his skin graft, no problem. 

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 01:31:43 AM »
You have to understand Jon, over here, the medical and pharmaceutical lobbies are extremely powerful. They see it as Big Brother reigning them in and taking away their exorbitant profits.

Najemikon

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 01:39:49 AM »
Oh, I do realise that. I can just imagine even Doctors saying, "So I treat this guy, but he doesn't pay me? How the f*** does that work?" :laugh: It's the opposite of our Doctor's who probably look forward to their Private sessions. But when the protests were shown on the news, it was regular people complaining bitterly. I remember laughing at an old man, asked by a British reporter, "would it really be so bad to have a free healthcare system?" and he replied, "Bad? I'd be DEAD!"  ;D

Then I saw a documentary though, and this man related his families story. He and his wife had a baby that fell ill. Doctor's didn't know what was wrong, so the child had all sorts of tests. Eventually whatever was wrong was properly diagnosed and successfully treated. Problem is, their insurance didn't begin to cover what had been involved and they are now over $1,000,000 in debt! As he said, he is paying that back for life and it will impact everything.

:o

How any regular person can possibly complain about the choice of free healthcare, I do not understand, because that is diabolical.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 01:45:47 AM »
As long as Fox News spouts their right wing propaganda and deceives the general public, which is comprised of sheep, it will never change.

I said it 20 years ago to all my friends and family, the United States will not be around in 2040. It will completely implode.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 02:29:26 AM »
The problem with the health care industry is people. If even the majority of people ate right, did not smoke and exercised, most of the health care problems would be resolved.

Preventative medicine and healthy lifestyles would enable the health care industry and governments to treat those that need it and still make a profit.

Of course there is no simple solution to such complex issues but these simple steps would solve the majority of problems facing the health care system today.

snowcat

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 02:30:56 AM »
I agree Jon, I think its that people don't understand the nhs.

Have you seen the michael moore documentry sicko? Ok MM is ver oppinionated and really tells one side but he uses a few good case studies.

A guy was on holiday in london, he fell and broke his shoulder (I think) he got it bandaged up and a month of pain relief free... He couldn't believe it.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:55 AM »
The problem with the health care industry is people. If even the majority of people ate right, did not smoke and exercised, most of the health care problems would be resolved.
Yeah, and eatring less unnecessary medication. Also, if only people with actual problems went to see the doctors would possibly help too. I always wonder when people ask me: "You have a cold, have you seen the doctor yet?". I wonder why, a simply cold for example usually comes and goes within 9 days, after that I can start worrying about a doctor.