Author Topic: No change...............tough luck that's the customer's problem.  (Read 3386 times)

Touti

I'm just coming back from the grocery store.  My purchases comes up to 22.19$, I hand 25$ to the cashier.

Her: Do you have change
Me: No
Her: I don't have change.

She takes my 25$ and gives me 2$ back although she owes me 2.81$

Me: How much was the bill ?
Her: That's what I said, I have no change.
Me: So I'm losing 81 cents because of that ??

She hesitates, doesn't know what to do, after a few seconds she says "I'm gonna check the other cashes".  She goes the next one, comes back and says "No, she doesn't have change either".  But she never went to check the other two.

Me: I suppose the manager isn't here at this time ?
Her: There's nothing I can do.

Yeah sure.........I got news for you girl, when I come back next week I'm gonna call your boss and then there will be something you can do.....................search for a new hob.

Totally unacceptable.

>:(

Najemikon

Re: No change...............tough luck that's the customer's problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:20:47 AM »
Good grief! And I thought our average check-out assistants were bad.  :redcard:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 02:46:32 AM »
Personally, I would have told her to keep the groceries, gotten my money back and left never to return. If anything the cashier should have taken the nineteen cent loss. This person needs to lose her job, her response was totally unacceptable. She does not belong in a service orientated industry. Or, she needs a severe reprimand and needs a refresher course on how to do her job.

I would write a letter to the owner outlining exactly what occurred. Emails are more convenient but are not as effective as a personal letter. I have had a few problems in which I politely and calmly explained the problem. Without exception I have received something in return, coupons for free products etc.

Touti

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:50:32 AM »
I'm leaving at 6:30 tomorrow morning and I need what I bought otherwise I would have left it there on the counter and get my money back.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 02:52:33 AM »
That's right, I forgot you are going on your adventure. Put this out of your mind and think about nothing but having a good time.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 02:54:17 AM »
OMG.  That's horrible.  And how could a register in a grocery store not have change?

I think I would have told her to keep the stuff too...unless it was like in your case when you are leaving soon and need the stuff.

Critter

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:55:28 AM »
I think if I was in this situation I wouldn't mind. I often let people keep my change anyway just becuase I can't be bothered with it. Also I wouldn't like to be in the shop assistants position. I doubt it was her fault that there was no change in the cashier.

Touti

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »
Sophie,

I realize it's not really their fault, especially late on a Sunday night but when it happens they should put a sign to say they have no change and that this cash can only take credit or debit card.

But the real problem to me is the way the cashier behaved. When she said she had no change I thought she was running short in change, it wasn't clear that she had none left.

She should have said clearly that she didn't have enough to give me my change back on 25$, I would have paid with my debit card and that would have been the end of it.  She didn't do that, instead she took my money and gave me back only partial change like it's completely normal.

It's not the 81 cents that I'm angry about, it's the principle.

Kathy,  I'm venting it here to get it out of me before going to bed, I don't want 81 cents to waste my week ;)

Critter

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 03:09:10 AM »
Yeah I guess she should have certainly had up some sort of notification that there was no change left in that cashier, it's something people should know. I wouldn't have been bothered still I don't think if it was just 80 cents or so, but if it was say, 5 dollars then I would have probably gotten mad.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:22:05 AM by Critter »

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 03:16:58 AM »
Sophie, remember your Aussie 81 cents is about the equivalent of 8 Canadian Dollars! You can't ignore that, eh, Eric?  :tease: :laugh:

But seriously, I know what Sophie means and I have done it. Only the other night actually, I ordered take-away and the delivery driver had ran out of change and was short of a pound. I told him to keep it. But that was because his attitude was to try absolutely to get that change from somewhere. He tried and keeping track of change can be tough on a delivery round. No way was he going to ask me to give it up, so for that he deserved a break.

No way would this lazy little bugger that Eric found get a free ride from me...

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 03:20:49 AM »
Sophie, although I see what you mean it is important to remember that little things add up.

I remember one financial expert showing what one hundred dollars can do over the course of your lifetime. He described how much you would have if you invested it and outlined the amounts based on the percentage of interest.

The one that I remember the most was twenty percent. If you took one hundred dollars and invested it at twenty percent you would have one million dollars for your retirement.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 03:22:50 AM »

No way would this lazy little bugger that Eric found get a free ride from me...

Oh Jon, you have such a way with words! :bow:

Touti

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:39:05 AM »
Sophie, how much money are they gonna steal from customers who pay cash tonight ?  I was certainly not the only one.  And how do I know that girl isn't gonna put that extra money in her pocket at the end of the day to balance her cash ?

What happened to me isn't only unacceptable, it's illegal and that grocery store has illegally taken money from many people today, they should be reported and I intend to do so when I return.

BTW: It was cream for the coffee and bacon that I bought, I didn't absolutely need the bacon, I just wanted it  :-[

But tomorrow night I'll be sitting by a lake after a good meal with a glass of wine and a good cuban cigar and I'll be laughing at this :)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 03:58:41 AM »
I didn't absolutely need the bacon, I just wanted it  :-[

That goes without saying, doesn't it, after all you are Canadian.  :tease: :laugh:

lyonsden5

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
IF anything she should have given back 3 dollars and short changed the store.

Bad form.  :redcard: