Author Topic: Signed  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Signed
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 07:36:56 AM »
I once went to a Fangoria Convention in L.A. They had Robert Rodriguez (showing an early clip of From Dusk Till Dawn), who signed a photo for me and let me take a photo with him. I bought the laserdisc of Halloween just the day before since PJ Soles was there who signed that for me. Tom Savini signed a picture from Dawn of the Dead and composer Richard Band autographed a poster-postcard of Castle Freak. I had a great day that day and there was no substantial line-waiting involved (which would have caused me to to get those autographs).

I once bought a signed copy of the Limited Edition laserdisc of Phantasm. I forgot who actually signed it (Scrimm or Coscarelli or both), but I don't own it anymore either anyway.

I have no signed DVDs that I am aware of.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »
I go to nerd (read: horror) conventions all the time and have a ton of autographs from horror celebrities. I generally just want my picture taken with them, but they usually only give that free if you pay for an item to be signed (be it picture or something you brought).

I used to also be big in limited edition books, so I have quite a few of those (flat) signed, too. I tend to like my autographs personalized, so if I'm going to a show where an author is signing and I only have a flat signed book, I tend to bring it with me to get it personalized.

But, bottom line, I'm a big nerd when it comes to meeting people of the horror genre.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 06:55:14 AM »
I go to nerd (read: horror) conventions all the time and have a ton of autographs from horror celebrities. I generally just want my picture taken with them, but they usually only give that free if you pay for an item to be signed (be it picture or something you brought).
I keep reading about this. Some people seem to charge up to $200 for an autograph. I find it's a preposterous way of pushing the fans into distance; you don't want to sign, fine, but don't charge big bucks from the fans for a line of ink on paper.

Maybe things changed since 1995 or I was just lucky, but at the convention where I was I did not pay for any of the signatures.

O.k., maybe I had to pay an entrance fee, which was then partly forwarded to the attendees, but nothing to the artists at the time of signing.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 07:04:42 AM »
I've never gone anywhere to get an autograph.

I sort of think it would be cool to go to Comic-Con..but then I remember how much I hate crowds.  I'd probably have a full on meltdown in the middle of something I really was interested in - like a panel with the cast of Firefly or something. lol

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 07:21:10 AM »
I find it's a preposterous way of pushing the fans into distance; you don't want to sign, fine, but don't charge big bucks from the fans for a line of ink on paper.

The problem is to distinguish the fans from those who would get free autographs just to sell them to fans. And since you mention 1995, that's when the Internet became popular and eBay was founded - so, yes, things changed a little since then. ;)
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 07:34:01 AM »
Unfortunately there are people who manage to get free autographs only to turn around and sell them for crazy prices.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 12:40:57 PM »
 :slaphead:

Thanks for that. I really didn't connect the dots there... :-[

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
I never been somewhere to get autographs in person myself. And I understand what you are saying about people selling the autographs. But instead of charging so much like that... which does no more then alienate some fans... wouldn't making them personalized autographs help deter it. I mean I know I wouldn't want to buy something autographed that was signed...

To Michael,
Good Luck!
Whoever

Or is that just me? :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
I believe that having personalized decreases the value of the the autograph. There are exceptions (of course!) though, for example - if the recipient is famous in their own right the value might go up. Or, what the relevance between the two parties is. I was trying to think of an example and the first one that popped into my twisted brain was if Monica Lewinsky had a personalized autograph by Hillary Clinton. :bag:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
 :laugh:

But in the case of fan/celebrity type thing... I would think it would decrease the value quite a bit. I guess it is just me... but I don't think I would want a signed picture to someone else hanging on my wall. :P
Pete

Alien Redrum

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
I keep reading about this. Some people seem to charge up to $200 for an autograph. I find it's a preposterous way of pushing the fans into distance; you don't want to sign, fine, but don't charge big bucks from the fans for a line of ink on paper.

Well, keep in mind the cons I go to generally have your "a-list" actors and such. So the most I've seen charged for an autograph was $40 an item (Robert Englund). I personally won't pay more than $20, and even then I rarely do that (since I have pretty much everyone I've wanted to meet. Hell, IIRC, even Dario Argento was only like $25.

Maybe things changed since 1995 or I was just lucky, but at the convention where I was I did not pay for any of the signatures.

It really depends on the artist. Danny Trejo doesn't charge. Nor did Don Coscarrelli when I met him. Tom Savini will sign your items for free (at shows) if you buy something from his table. (And he'll sign the item you buy at his table, too).

Lloyd Kaufmann also signs for free, but he asks you buy something from the Troma table, too, even if it's just a key chain or bumper sticker.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
I'd be too scared to ask Danny Trejo :laugh:

I like those kind of people who keep it real, like you describe Coscarelli, Savini or Kaufman. But again, I see the point now why some people charge.

Hmmmm, given what we discussed thus far, is it o.k. to post scanned images of those autographs on my website, or would the artist not appreciate that... :hmmmm:

Alien Redrum

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »
I'd be too scared to ask Danny Trejo :laugh:

:laugh:

I know what you mean, but damn if he wasn't one of the coolest people in his position. He's tiny, too. (I mean height wise. I'm a big(ger) guy, and he would thump me.  :laugh: )

Hmmmm, given what we discussed thus far, is it o.k. to post scanned images of those autographs on my website, or would the artist not appreciate that... :hmmmm:

I post pics of me and the people I meet all the time on my blog.

I don't think an autographed photo would be any problem. I've never had a problem.