Author Topic: The inevitable has happened :(  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The inevitable has happened :(
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 12:01:57 AM »
Simple solution - floor to ceiling shelving units. You don't even have to build anything - use metal milk crates and buy 12 inch wide x 10 foot long x 1inch thick boards.

Stain the wood and make sure you place a crate on each end and one in the middle. You put the milk crate on its side so that the opening is facing you. Stack them on top of each other and that's it. If you spray paint the milk crates black, all you see is the beautiful wood, and the whole thing looks like a fancy bookcase.

You can store the VHS tapes in the back and place the DVDs in front of them. Or, books in the back and DVDs in front. I cut thin (1/4 inch) wood to put on top of the bottom (actually the side because of the position of the crates) so that my things aren't touching metal.

The weight of the things holds everything in place and I don't even brace anything. If you look carefully at my pictures on facebook, the shelves the cats are on are made this way.

snowcat

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
Thanks Kathy, I may have to look in to that. the cheapest way of making shelves the better  :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 12:09:05 AM »
I wondered how you did your shelves when I saw your pictures on Facebook Kathy.  Loved all the kitties on the shelves. :)  They have perches with nice views of the birds. 

Do the cats ever mess with the DVDs or knock anything over?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 12:18:09 AM »
They never touch the DVDs because there isn't enough room for them to get on top of or behind them. They do climb on the uppermost shelf because there is room but they have never knocked down any of the hippos or candles. I did leave enough room up there for them to step around each thing. I also have lots of cat condos and scratching posts all over so they have places to play and take care of their nails. I use cat nip spray to encourage them to certain areas but they can do and go anywhere they want.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 12:28:14 AM »
Mine go where they want to.  Hayley is currently snoozing in a clothes basket..I need to do laundry, though I may be nice and wait till after her nap. :)

Elmo will sometimes knock stuff down.  I've seen him look at something, then take a front foot and just push whatever it is off so he can sit there.  The others don't do that.  They don't bother my DVDs though, so that's good.
When Angel was still a puppy, she had an incident and chewed on some DVD cases.  I taped them back together the best I could..it still bugs me to see them.

snowcat

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 01:01:53 AM »
Im lucky my cat is not really bothered about DVDs and knocking stuff off... unless they are his toys on top of the fish tank! then they all get knocked down the back never to be seen again.

my cat is currently sleeping on the end of the bed.... on my side  :( so looks like I have to sleep on the other side... which for some reason is really hard to do when you used to sleeping on the other.

venomsinner

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 01:12:57 AM »
Where am I gonna sleep  :(

snowcat

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »
Where am I gonna sleep  :(

...On the floor  :laugh:

Alien Redrum

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 01:46:14 AM »
Simple solution - floor to ceiling shelving units. You don't even have to build anything - use metal milk crates and buy 12 inch wide x 10 foot long x 1inch thick boards.

Stain the wood and make sure you place a crate on each end and one in the middle. You put the milk crate on its side so that the opening is facing you. Stack them on top of each other and that's it. If you spray paint the milk crates black, all you see is the beautiful wood, and the whole thing looks like a fancy bookcase.

You can store the VHS tapes in the back and place the DVDs in front of them. Or, books in the back and DVDs in front. I cut thin (1/4 inch) wood to put on top of the bottom (actually the side because of the position of the crates) so that my things aren't touching metal.

The weight of the things holds everything in place and I don't even brace anything. If you look carefully at my pictures on facebook, the shelves the cats are on are made this way.

Can you post a picture of that?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 02:27:05 AM »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 02:36:05 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that in about 10 years, a Buffalo TV station will be doing a news segment on the woman who has over 100 cats in her house?

;)  :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »
My collection is still under 100 DVDs and I have already run out of room for them. I moved all my anime ones to a different area of my room but there still isn't enough space. I'm trying to reorganise it so that they can all fit in nicely but it's turning out to be quite difficult.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 02:53:26 AM »
My shelves have basically been full for a while now.  There is still room on the shelf where I have animation movies.  There is also some room where I have tv show sets, but I have new sets that aren't on there yet...so really no space left there.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 03:37:05 AM »
Thanks, Kathy!

That first one made me  :laugh: for real.

I just might do that.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 03:50:39 AM »
 :laugh:

I wasn't going to ask, but I can't resist.

Do you shelve the cats alphabetically too?
 :laugh: