Author Topic: Terrible luck today...  (Read 1526 times)

RossRoy

Terrible luck today...
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:09:46 AM »
I've a real bad luck today.

To start, I've working long shifts for 3 days now preparing a tradeshow that starts tomorrow. So we had some flyers, some brochures, some salesman binder material, banners, etc. The works. So I left work tonight at about 21h00, and was going my merry way on the highway.

Then... BANG! BANG!

Yep! I hit a pothole or a rock or something in the road. 2 tires blown, 2 rims damaged. Luckily, the suspension and even the alignment don't seem to be affected. Even the tires look fine.

But that half hour, immobilized in the right lane with people whizzing by like mad men, some barely even changing lanes to pass me.. I think that was one of the most scary thing I ever experienced.

And to think, about 200-250 meters behind me, there was a 7 cars crash - probably caused by that very same hole/object on the road!

Come to think of it.. I might've been lucky in my bad luck. Had I left work a few seconds later, I may have been into that crash!

Also, I was lucky in that we had just changed to the winter tires. So the rims that were damaged, are generic steel rims, not the ones that came with the truck! So yeah, I've been lucky in my bad luck.

Critter

Re: Terrible luck today...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:24:38 AM »
Wow! I'm glad to hear that you are okay and that it wasn't a worse crash, but that does suck about your tires.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 05:50:11 AM »
Good that there was some good luck associated to the bad luck. Most important is you are o.k. Blown tires can cause real trouble.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 07:09:39 AM »
I'm glad you avoided a wreck. 

Years ago, when I was in Florida with my mom and step dad, we had a blow out on the interstate.  Step dad was driving and he managed to get pulled over.  It was on a ramp just as we were changing to a different interstate.  We were out of the lane, but people were flying by at full speed.  Some idiot that went by actually blew a trombone at us out their window - the passenger.  Still have no idea why they did that.  I can't remember how long we were stuck there.  This was long before everyone had cell phones.  We had this thing to put in the windshield to keep the sun out when parked.  On the back of it, it had in big red letters, need help, call police.  So step dad stood at the back of the car holding that.  Eventually a truck driver stopped and let him use his cell phone to call AAA.  Right after that, a cop stopped because someone had called the police that saw us.

That time stuck there was scary.  So many cars looked like they were going to hit the car.

hal9g

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:53:15 PM »
At least you're OK.  That's what's important!

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »
Just realized something.. The tow driver didn't give me an invoice! How am I supposed to file a claim for it with CAA (AAA for Quebec/Canada) ??   :redcard:

This just keeps getting better and better ...  :voodoo:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »
Just realized something.. The tow driver didn't give me an invoice! How am I supposed to file a claim for it with CAA (AAA for Quebec/Canada) ??   :redcard:

This just keeps getting better and better ...  :voodoo:
Take a look at the important things:
There weren't any serious damages to your health, the rest is "only" money.

If you have phone number you might try to get the invoice by mail. Just call the towing company and say that the driver "forgot" it.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 05:52:48 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your car. Annoying though that is, the important thing is you are safe.

I too suggest you contact the towing service - they must have a record of the service they provided for you.

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »
There weren't any serious damages to your health, the rest is "only" money.

Actually, the way I see it, since I'm fine.. Let's talk money!  :tease:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
I'd call the company and ask for a copy of the invoice.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 02:06:34 AM »
:yucky: That's surely a stroke good and bad mixed luck there! Echoing others, it's good to know that you are OK!

I have been in five wrecks in my lifetime with four different people driving (none of which were me). Most of them were simple rear-bumper-smash wrecks, the most recent of which was within the past five years. The only really bad one (in which all three of us in the car were extremely lucky) was pulling across a main highway from one neighborhood to the next at night, and a car with no lights side swiped us on the driver's side. Luckily, we weren't far enough out for it to damage more than the headlight and front half of the door. If I recall correctly, she was late on the way to her husband's birthday party :-\
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.