Author Topic: My poor DVD player :(  (Read 1348 times)

snowcat

My poor DVD player :(
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
I seem to be having a bad week with DVDs!

So earlier today I turned on my DVD player to hear the most horrific noise ever, it sounded like a whirring mixed with a death scream, My TV then said "Cannot display Video Input"

I unpluged the HDMI cable plugged it back in got the same message, tried a Scart got the same message went back to the HDMI and it was ok... but Its making this horrible whirring noise all the time now, I think its on its last legs :(

...Looks like ill be going shopping next pay check :/

Anyones else experienced that horrible feeling of "I know this DVD player is going die any minute soon"?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: My poor DVD player :(
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
For me it's when they start to skip and block with the image. When I see that the first time, I know that my dvd reader will die soon... In fact I've never replace my last one, it's less complicated to watch my movie on my computer and the dvd reader installed in it seems to be of better quality (not that my usual reader aren't, since I always buy the last Phillips model). At least he had played a lot and continue to work like the day he was new.

kahless

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »
[...]
Anyones else experienced that horrible feeling of "I know this DVD player is going die any minute soon"?

Absolutely! I have exhausted a few players in the past. But today I consider a DVD player as a kind of consumable material. From my perspective many of my DVD's have a better value than a DVD player!  :shrug:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »
I've owned 3 DVD players and have never experienced this. In fact, I still have my non-progressive scan Samsung down in my cellar, and it still runs great.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »
I have quite a number of players that have died on me. But everyone died differently.

Doesn't matter though. It's a 70€ consumer product that lasts 3 years. I don't expect more from it.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »
I had a cheap DVD player that stopped working on me.  It acted a little funny once..then the next time I tried to use it, nothing.

The last one I had did make a sort of low static sound almost all the time.  But it lasted me like 4 years..maybe 5.  It was still working when I got the Blu-ray player.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »
It's a 70€ consumer product that lasts 3 years. I don't expect more from it.

Kind of sad when we think that the first VHS player I bought in 1985 died only in 2003... After 18 years of good service it was hard to complaint, but I didn't replace it after.

Of course it cost me more or less 800$ when I bought it, wich proves that you got what you pay for.

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »
This one is about 2 years old, it has a great story behind it

So, my old DVD player died and I went out looking for a region free one I couldnt see one in Argos/Tescos etc so I lost hope, I walked in to sainsburys and low and behold there is a single DVD player sitting there with no price and on the front it says "Region Free"  :yahoo:

But... no price, so I was thinking, I bet this will be more then I have with me... I took it to the counter for a price check and it came up at  :thundergod:

£10 I looked at the woman like this  :o bought it and left. XD

I read the box when I came home and im fairly sure it was supposed to be part of some kind of package that had a TV, Surround Sound and a TV stand in. :p

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:02 PM »
Are you all ready to fall off you chairs?

I've never had, and still don't have, a DVD player.

(click to show/hide)

Rogmeister

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »
My favorite DVD player in my history as an owner remains my first one, a Sony model.  At one point, it started having more and more trouble playing DVD-R discs and I had a number of those that I had bought from independent companies (mostly westerns and serials).  It got so bad that I finally had to retire it.  I mentioned here my last machine that stopped working...a Phillips.  There was no warning sign, it just refused to obey my remote control one day.  I tossed it out and have since been using a model I had before that one, an Emerson that I had actually hooked up to an ancient floor model TV set.  It's still working.  Once it dies on me, maybe I'll look for another Sony.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
Big Lots had DVD-Rs a couple of years ago for $19. I thought that was such a great price I bought 4 of them. I have no idea how to use the R part but the DVD player works great. So, I don't have to worry about buying another DVD player for a long time!  :yu:

I would check out your local freecycle because I see people giving away DVD/VHS players almost every day in my area.

snowcat

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:56 PM »
Thanks Kathy, I forgot about Freecycle!