Author Topic: I'm gonna shut it down.  (Read 6511 times)

hal9g

Re: I'm gonna shut it down.
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
Sure glad I came back!   :thumbsup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 04:37:18 AM »
If you check the history of the forum (this incarnation the first one was deleted) you will see that we were very few in the beginning and it was a very quiet place. Even me who was there the first day I wasn't a big participant (became really active in november 2007 when I rediscovered the forum because of Rich or Rick, I'm never sure wich one...). I can understand the frustation of Eric in the beginning, this forum was on the way of becomming a venting (??) place only.

Even if he would never accept the compliment, Pete is the reason why the forum became what it is today : A forum for movies fans who like to discuss any movies in every genre. His reviews gave us an example to follow :thumbup:

But I'm sure that Eric, Jon, Sebastien, Pete, Rich or Karsten (they were the real active members from day one) could give you better explanation than mine.

RossRoy

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 05:48:05 AM »
You pretty much summed it up Jimmy. Don't forget this place was started under a very different purpose and a completely different name. So when Invelos came back, this place became a phantom place. There was just nobody here. And yeah, most times when someone popped up it was to vent or ask what was going on when Invelos would be down. It also explains, for those of you who came here not knowing about DVD Profiler, why most of us keep referring to DVD Profiler. That's why the site itself was started.

Glad we stuck with it, and here we are, three years later with a very active site, but more than that, it's a fun place to be!

Well, except when Tarantino comes up  :laugh:

Kidding aside, this group of people here is really awesome. I love reading all your banter about this and that, even if I don't participate as much as I'd like to. Keep it up!  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 11:35:39 AM »
If you check the history of the forum (this incarnation the first one was deleted) you will see that we were very few in the beginning and it was a very quiet place. Even me who was there the first day I wasn't a big participant (became really active in november 2007 when I rediscovered the forum because of Rich or Rick, I'm never sure wich one...). I can understand the frustation of Eric in the beginning, this forum was on the way of becomming a venting (??) place only.

Even if he would never accept the compliment, Pete is the reason why the forum became what it is today : A forum for movies fans who like to discuss any movies in every genre. His reviews gave us an example to follow :thumbup:

But I'm sure that Eric, Jon, Sebastien, Pete, Rich or Karsten (they were the real active members from day one) could give you better explanation than mine.

Oh please... I didn't do anything really. I just never had the need to vent as much as some people did. So I just did what I like to do here... watch my dvds and tell people what I think. And just let everyone else do what they have to do. But I appreciate the kudos all the same. And I am obviously thrilled with the way the site has turned out.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »
Antares, the story was that DVD Profiler used to be owned by Intervocative, essentially Ken and a couple of other guys. I seem to remember that their business plan was to develop a piece of software each and sell it under the Intervocative name. Ken developed DVD Profiler and nothing else appeared on the table. Rumours abound at this point... was Ken pissed off about sharing his program with the others who were just sat on his coat-tail? Were the others frustrated their ideas were not being given time to develop? Whatever. It got legal and would eventually see Invelos created by Ken alone (and Skip bought in if you believe his shit that he said to me in a PM). Without updates and so much talk about how users were being ignored and the program was being left to rot, Eric created a forum where we could talk openly and honestly and try and get a bead on what was going on.

Once Invelos was up and running, there was no point to the forum. To be honest, I don't think I was heavily involved at the time, but it was a closer call that you guys think. I've found Eric's poll thread and it shows the forum was renamed and given a more positive outlook before he started this one...

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,18.0.html

Touti

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »
Jon if you don't mind me adding to your explanation.  There had not been any new versions, not even a beta, for about a year at Intervocative.  Many things were "promised" but not happening.  Then one day we all found out that DVD Profiler was now owned by Invelos and a new version was available.  It is generally believed that Ken spend a year developing a new version in secret and then started is own company.

All hell broke loose one day when Invelos' web site was shut down because Intervocative had gotten an injunction against Invelos.  There was no announcement, no warning and no information was being released.  People just didn't know what was happening and whether DVDP was dead, alive, agonizing or whatever.

Intervocative's web site and forums were still up and running and people were venting a lot and expressing their frustration at the situation.  There was also rumors of aggressive moderation and posts and threads being deleted if the guys at Intervocative disagreed with them or thought they could be detrimental to their court case.

I don't know if this was true but I was also frustrated by the situation and I wanted to give people a place where they could express their opinion without risk of being censored.  Some felt I started a bashing place and obviously there was some but that wasn't my goal.  I must admit however that my choice of name for the forum could lead to that.

I still believe I was right starting this site, I had hundreds of members within a few weeks and even some people from Intervocative.  When Invelos' forum came back everyone stopped coming here and within a couple of hours the site went dead.  Some people didn't come back even once after Invelos came back online.

It was then decided to keep the forum, rename it and clean it up. I deleted every section and topics related to the Invelos vs Intervocative case and we turned the site into a movie collector's place.

Now let's see how good is the memory of the oldest members ;)

What was the original name of the site ?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:32:36 PM by Eric »

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »
Ah, yes that's right! And no, I can't remember the original name...  :hmmmm:

Touti

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »
Ah, yes that's right! And no, I can't remember the original name...  :hmmmm:

I was hoping someone would know, I can't remember either :hysterical:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 07:56:59 PM »
Now let's see how good is the memory of the oldest members ;)

What was the original name of the site ?
intervocatijerks.com I think or something really near from this :hmmmm:

Is my memory good enough :whistle:

Touti

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »
Not exactly Jimmy but close.  It was Intervocajerks  :-[

It took me a bit a googling to find it, ironically the answer was right here on this forum.

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php?topic=50.0