Author Topic: E3 2010 (Electronic Entertainment Expo 2010)  (Read 3424 times)

RossRoy

Re: E3 2010 (Electronic Entertainment Expo 2010)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
First off, it's a mode, meaning you can turn it on or off. Supposedly there'll be an achievement though, so you might have to play through the story like that once, maybe. Anyway, I guess that would be what it means, running back and forth a lot, making distinct decisions what weapons to take when venturing into the wastelands and how much ammo to bring. I understand it's real hardcore (and IIRC that is what it's actually called).

From IGN.com:
Hardcore Mode
There's a funny argument against Fallout 3 that goes something like this: Once you reach the level cap the game is too easy. Or, as I like to put it, once you have created a badass character he's too much of a badass. Well, for all of you people that were simply too good at Fallout 3, meet Hardcore Mode.

This new level of difficulty being added for Fallout: New Vegas is for anybody that loves a challenge. It may as well be called Realism Mode. Everything has weight, even ammunition. You'll have to eat food and drink water regularly to stay alive. Stimpacks won't heal instantly, so you won't be able to spam them in the midst of a fight. And if you break a bone, you'll need a doctor and some bed rest to heal it.

Sounds rather punishing to me, but I'm sure there will be some folks out there that will accept the challenge.

So, hm, maybe no playthrough required.

Oh yeah, I remember reading that. I do think it's an interesting take on the concept, and may make it more "involved" as far as role playing is concerned. I'd probably try it, just for the heck of it, but it's definitely not my idea of a fun game.

Too much realism in a games reduces my enjoyment. I couldn't get into Modern Warfare 2 because I kept getting shot at without having any idea where I was getting shot from, and I also couldn't see the enemies. Yes, it makes it more like "real" war. But, to me, it doesn't make it a good game. And even less of a fun one.

We'll see when we get there, but I don't think I'll have that "realism mode" on too often ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
I agree with everything you said. Had similar problems getting into MW2; the type of blood splatters they used to obscure the screen made it doubly worse.

For those interested, IGN seems to post the EA press conference on YouTube (start up, let load, then watch the parts you care for). The fact that this is Part 1 makes me think there will be more :laugh:

I suggest to click the video to go to YouTube though, as it is available in 720p.

Critter

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 03:37:46 PM »
The Nintendo press conference will start up in 2 hours. It will be interesting to see what they pull out for the Wii since both Xbox and Playstation now both have motion capture as well, it has somewhat stolen their thunder.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »
Can. Not. Wait.

Dead Space 2, not for the easily scared :devil: This is a gameplay demo, not a trailer.

Again, I suggest to click the video to go to YouTube, as it is available in 720p.

RossRoy

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »
The Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword - Yay! New Zelda game!

RossRoy

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 05:17:06 AM »
Portal 2 - Instant purchase for me!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »
While I agree that Valve probably over-hyped it as their big announcement, but it's coming to PS3 as well. I will have to complete part 1 prior to that...

BTW, the consecutive part of the EA conference can be found via search or within IGNEntertainment profile on YouTube as well. The Nintendo presentation is presented in sections per game; just search for "nintendo e3 2010". I am downloading part 1 of the Sony conference on PSN right now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:59:40 AM by Achim »

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »

:clap:

Critter

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 07:48:54 AM »
After watching that Portal 2 trailer I went on the hunt for more information as I have never heard of this franchise before. I found the first game Portal and it said it was available on Playstation 3. I have searched though every online game store though and I cannot seem to find a copy of it available anywhere. Is there any reason why this game would have not been released in Australia or am I just not looking hard enough?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
After watching that Portal 2 trailer I went on the hunt for more information as I have never heard of this franchise before. I found the first game Portal and it said it was available on Playstation 3. I have searched though every online game store though and I cannot seem to find a copy of it available anywhere. Is there any reason why this game would have not been released in Australia or am I just not looking hard enough?
You need to be looking for "The Orange Box". It's supposedly a rather poor port of the XBOX version (done by EA, not Valve; I don't know the original, but it's definetely playable), but since you are getting bascially four games still a good deal.
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Portal
Team Fortress 2 (online only, so maybe not actually playable anymore)

I just saw the Asian release for $25 at Play-Asia.com.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:39:27 AM by Achim »

Critter

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »
Thanks Achim, that will hopefully make my search easier, I am very intrigued by Portal.

Have you played any of the other games? I'm apprehensive about buying four games when I am only interested in one. I just found it at one of the Game shops in my town on their website for $22 though which seems to be a very good deal.

snowcat

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 11:27:44 AM »
Shame, Steam the Computer based video game sevice gave Portal away free for an entire month last month :/

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
Thanks Achim, that will hopefully make my search easier, I am very intrigued by Portal.

Have you played any of the other games? I'm apprehensive about buying four games when I am only interested in one. I just found it at one of the Game shops in my town on their website for $22 though which seems to be a very good deal.

I've already teased Achim; now I have to start on you?  :tease:

Half-Life: was my favourite game and I once considered it the pinnacle of video games.
Half-Life 2: my favourite game and I consider it the pinnacle of video games. :P
Half-Life 2, Episode 1: It's an extra chapter for the greatest game ever made. And it has Alyx in it. :drooling: And she has a "Dog".
Half-Life 2, Episode 2: erm... duh? Another chapter for the greatest game ever made, and Alyx is still in it and she still has her "Dog". :whistle:
Portal: Almost experimental and largely puzzle based, but fiendishly clever and features my favourite villain in GLADOS. "Would you like some cake"  ;) Worth playing just for the theme...

Team Fortress 2 I've never bothered with, but just those few above make Valve the Pixar of the game world for me... :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 10:39:30 PM »
Portal: Almost experimental and largely puzzle based, but fiendishly clever and features my favourite villain in GLADOS. "Would you like some cake"  ;) Worth playing just for the theme...

Would it be considered a spoiler to say ...

(click to show/hide)

or to quote said theme ...

(click to show/hide)

:devil:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:41:17 PM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
 :redcard:

:laugh: